Type keyword(s) to search

The Testaments (sequel)

• Start Topic

On 11/1/2022 at 5:05 PM, Redrum said:

Any casting announcements involving Bradley Whitford or Yvonne whatshername means they aren't following the book closely.

I don't think the producers care much about books. I would be less annoyed though, if they changed what's in The Testaments, which doesn't even feel like an Atwood work, and because I am still convinced she wrote that in an attempt to either regain some control over her initial idea, and mastery of words, and vision, or to continue to make money off of a good idea that turned into a collection of ridiculous plots. 

I am not sure about Whitford, but I have a feeling they will keep Serena and her baby as part of the main plot. What I wonder is if they will keep June central, as the main character. I guess it depends on which young actors they get for the two girls

Oh I don't think there's some "we must respect the original work" vow for the sequel.... and I agree not Atwood's best and feels like a cash in/attempt to retain control.

I just think jamming Serena of all people into the story is a fail point. 

And they've pretty much failed in setting up the Baby Nicole cult. Hannah/Agnes shares memories of being raised in the Baby Nicole cult, for example. No Baby Nicole cult, no reason for 16 year old Baby Nicole to be such a focus....

• Love 1

Maybe the protesters in Toronto, in this season, are a part of that cult. We've seen the drama from June's side, and Serena's. They made a big deal about Nicole, until we got to Toronto, and Serena was pregnant with her own baby. 

2 hours ago, Redrum said:

I just think jamming Serena of all people into the story is a fail point. 

Why? Serena is a very popular character (love her or hate her), and they seem to adore working with Yvonne. There's also a lot more story to tell in Serena, unlike regarding many of the other characters. I think keeping her around for the sequel in some fashion would make sense. (I actually kind of envision her morphing into Ada, but we'll see!)

Episode 4 of this season, starts out with a strange woman approaching June, and cooing over "God's child" Nicole. Telling her how lucky she was, to be in Gilead, the place that gave her this beautiful baby. So, there's one member of the cult.