Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Top 6 perform

• Start Topic

I don't mind the last four.  I've just been blase' on the whole season because the dancing seems so simplistic to past seasons.  There have been a couple of numbers that really stood out, but overall it's kind of disappointing.  I've been really surprised how the pace of the dancing seems slower.  I keep wondering if it's just me.  Maybe my perception has changed somehow.  The performances seem so less dynamic.  

Dances with all stars:

Sophie & Kiki - samba (Pasha)

Ezra & Gaby - contemporary (Robert Roldan)

Mariah & Fik-Shun - hip hop (Misha Gabriel)

Bailey & Koine - Broadway (Al Blackstone)

Madison & Lex - jazz (Mandy Moore)

Gino & Comfort - hip hop (Luther Brown)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I was out of town so I am just catching up on last week's episode. I read the first post in this thread before watching so I knew that Madison was eliminated which made watching these routines a lot more relaxing.

Of the three group numbers, the boys' contemporary was my favorite. It was lovely and different from the usual contemporary routines we normally get. No surprise that it was choreographed by Tavia. I liked the girls' group routine too. It was a great combination of choreography, costumes, and staging.

My favorite part of this episode was that we got Koine, Lex, Comfort, and Fik-Shun! I didn't think they were all utilized to the best of their abilities, but I loved seeing them dance again. Of the six all star routines, I thought Pasha's samba for Sophie was the best choreographed for a contestant dancing outside their specialty. I would guess that to the eyes of a non-dancer watching, this looked pretty passable. It was obvious that she was faking a lot of it, but Pasha's choreography was designed to make her look like she was doing the samba even when she wasn't.

The top six dances - Madison and Ezra's disco was the worst of the bunch. And it's even more egregious when you realize that this is probably the easiest, slowest disco that Doriana has ever choreographed for this show - and with 95% less lifts than usual! The few lifts that she did put in were nowhere near as crazy as the ones she usually does, which makes it even more frustrating that Ezra was doing all the work. Honestly, I didn't even want him in the top ten but seeing how he's graciously dealt with having to do lifts with Madison week after week makes him seem like he's gone above and beyond.

Bailey and Madison's jazz was my favorite partner dance of the night. I'm predisposed to love any routine with INXS, but it was also a fun dance to watch, especially compared to some of the others I sat through.

Sophie was not up to Gino's level in their Broadway routine.

Between Sophie and Mariah, I don't really care which girl wins because meh.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, hula-la said:

I know exactly where you're coming from, but as Nigel has said before, they're looking for America's favourite dancer, (the implication being that it's not necessarily the best one).

That's what they've been saying since S2. During S1, they said the show was looking for America's best dancer. After Nick won over Blake, Nigel changed it to America's favorite dancer. It still makes me laugh that he did that out of spite.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Fivehead is slang for a forehead which more obvious/prominent/larger than your regular "4"head. Like James Van Der Beek.

I'm 90% sure that the original TWoP fivehead was Tyra Banks.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Between Sophie and Mariah, I don't really care which girl wins because meh.

Will there be a guy winner and a girl winner this season? I haven't heard that.

I honestly don't think either girl is in the running for the top spot. The top spot is between Gino and Bailey.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Will there be a guy winner and a girl winner this season? I haven't heard that.

I honestly don't think either girl is in the running for the top spot. The top spot is between Gino and Bailey.

I've only been watching the routines aka not listening to any of the judges' comments aka making the show about 20 minutes long so I have no idea what they're doing this season (one overall winner vs one male winner and one female winner).

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've only been watching the routines aka not listening to any of the judges' comments aka making the show about 20 minutes long so I have no idea what they're doing this season (one overall winner vs one male winner and one female winner).

I see. You are watching the truncated version of the show. I still watch the entire show and still enjoy it.

9 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I see. You are watching the truncated version of the show. I still watch the entire show and still enjoy it.

I sat through the judges' comments during all of the audition shows this season and it was a total waste of my time (I did not need to see BoomKat cry like every routine was the second coming). Thank goodness I was able to skip that once the top ten dancers were announced. Instead of wasting two hours on useless judges' comments and fluff, I watched all 18 dances in this episode in less than 25 minutes. I watch this show for the dancing, not Nigel, so this way is much less frustrating for me because I don't have to hear his patronizing comments or watch him bob his head during the hip hop numbers.

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I sat through the judges' comments during all of the audition shows this season and it was a total waste of my time (I did not need to see BoomKat cry like every routine was the second coming). Thank goodness I was able to skip that once the top ten dancers were announced. Instead of wasting two hours on useless judges' comments and fluff, I watched all 18 dances in this episode in less than 25 minutes. I watch this show for the dancing, not Nigel, so this way is much less frustrating for me because I don't have to hear his patronizing comments or watch him bob his head during the hip hop numbers.

Nigel tries to act so cool after hip-hop numbers but he just comes off as gross.  It's good that you FF so that you didn't have to see Nigel put on gold grillz after Bailey/Comfort's number.  That was bad enough but then he tried to shake his booty after Sofia/Mariah's number.  EEEWWWW!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Nigel tries to act so cool after hip-hop numbers but he just comes off as gross.  It's good that you FF so that you didn't have to see Nigel put on gold grillz after Bailey/Comfort's number.  That was bad enough but then he tried to shake his booty after Sofia/Mariah's number.  EEEWWWW!!

OMG I was cringing just from reading your description! Thank goodness I missed this. The secondhand embarrassment would have been too much for me. 

• LOL 4
On 9/2/2019 at 10:32 PM, LexieLily said:

Her dancing in the disco finally pointed in out to me what you all have been saying. Madison doesn't help herself or help Ezra at all in the lifts, which is extremely problematic in a routine like disco. Ezra had to do so much extra work to lift her and get her into position and even then she wobbled and messed up a few poses or moves. Girl also looked pissed to be eliminated, but I don't know why she would be. Nigel took all the suspense out of it when he said twice in the first minute of the elimination talk that they would not be going against America's votes from last week. 

I know it's a product of the shortened amount of live shows and starting with a top ten as opposed to a top twenty like it used to be, but it's still disheartening that Sophie can make the finale without ever being required to perform a hip-hop routine. I remember when hip-hop was supposed to be one of the three major styles on this show.

I will give Mariah the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn't what she meant when she said she was happy that it was just her on that stage this time and not her and Bailey, so the audience could see what she could do, but it came across as a little bit of shade.   

You're telling me there's more to partner lifts than being picked up and letting your partner do all the work during the lift?  You mean the partner being lifted has to do some actual work supporting their own frame and position, making it easier for their partner to do their job and continue dancing?  Who'd a thunk it?

Wonder how much the choreo for the disco was adjusted because production realized it would be very bad for the show if Ezra was traumatically injured trying to pull off one of Doriana's actual numbers with a Play Dough partner?   

• Love 3