Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Saw Amélie in Los Angeles Tuesday night.  It was very...meh.  I read a review after the fact that called it "enjoyable, but forgettable", and that really sums it up well for me.  The performances were fine, the music was OK, but the story seemed very difficult to follow if you didn't already know the story from the movie.  Definitely was hoping for more. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion. That's disappointing to hear. I've still got my eye on it. And I'm also curious how well Philippa will sell tickets outside of Hamilton. Correct me if I'm wrong but she's the first one from the original cast coming to Broadway with a new show, right?

Speaking of selling tickets, I'm still keeping an eye on Anastasia and War Paint. With Anastasia it looks like they've sold a fair amount of advance tickets, but availability is not bad for a few dates in April (I didn't search that far). I don't know if it'll make Disney money but if it's a decent show, it might ride a similar wave of nostalgia. I don't know how different or more adult the story is but I have to believe they're still at least partially pitching it at families. 

JOAN OF ARC: INTO THE FIRE February 14 – April 16

Newman Theater at The Public 

American Express® Presale (1/4 at 10am – 1/9 at 11:59pm)

Tickets will become available to the general public on January 10.

I've got my eye on this because... yay female protagonist! And I'm kicking myself for missing Here Lies Love. I wasn't that into their public performances but apparently it was amazing live. But I don't know if I want to spring for expensive tickets without at least some casting news. 

8 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

JOAN OF ARC: INTO THE FIRE February 14 – April 16

Newman Theater at The Public 

American Express® Presale (1/4 at 10am – 1/9 at 11:59pm)

Tickets will become available to the general public on January 10.

I've got my eye on this because... yay female protagonist! And I'm kicking myself for missing Here Lies Love. I wasn't that into their public performances but apparently it was amazing live. But I don't know if I want to spring for expensive tickets without at least some casting news. 

There are about 8 seats on the Sunday we'll be there...but I can't commit at this point.  We're already kinda booked up and I don't really know anything about the show.  But I'll keep an eye on it.

So, I'm finally going to see Wicked on Sunday.  Standing room at the Kennedy Center - and it's free.  Which I always said would be the only way I'd see the show.  And someone called my bluff...

• Love 1

NYC's cable news station NY1's On Stage show had an episode from London this morning with some tantalizing tidbits:

Matthew Bourne's Red Shoes and the first London production of Dreamgirls (directed by Casey Nicholaw and starring Amber Riley) may come to NYC.  (Of course what London successes aren't rumored to be coming over?)

The songwriting team behind Honk and the new material in Mary Poppins and the London revival of Half a Sixpence are developing the movie Soapdish as a musical, with lead rumored to be Kristin Chenoweth. (Pretty good casting.)

Producer Jeffrey Seller has just announced that two-time Tony Award nominee Joshua Henry, Broadway's Michael Luwoye and Tony Award Nominee Rory O'Malley will lead the National Tour of HAMILTON as Aaron Burr, Alexander Hamilton and King George III, respectively.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Joshua-Henry-Michael-Luwoye-and-Rory-OMalley-Will-Go-Non-Stop-in-HAMILTON-National-Tour-Cast-Announced-20170105

The 1991 Lucy Simon-Marsha Norman musical The Secret Garden is being prepped for its first Broadway revival.

Gerald Goehring and Michael F. Mitri of Patriot Productions have picked up a Broadway option. Goehring told Playbill.com. “We got it right after we saw the amazing work done in Washington, D.C.” by the recent revival there. This new production was created in partnership between Seattle's The 5th Avenue Theatre and Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington D.C.

http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-revival-of-the-secret-garden-is-in-the-works

ALL THE WAY Tony winner Bryan Cranston has a Broadway musical in his dugout.

After rumors the actor would be returning to the Great White Way in a singing role, Broadway Journal writes that Cranston will appear in DAMN YANKEES in 2018.

Producer Jeffrey Richards is reportedly developing a full version of the 2008 Encores! revival with director and choreographer Kathleen Marshall.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Batter-Up-Bryan-Cranston-to-Pitch-for-DAMN-YANKEES-on-Broadway-20170106?

I need some ticket-buying advice/These are some offers you might want to take advantage of.

The Great Comet rush is getting ridiculous and it's very cold and I don't think my constitution is going to stand up to waiting outside for 5 hours. There's a code good for January and February "gcbox1117." With the telecharge fees,it comes out to $110 orchestra, $57 rear mezzanine, and $140 for onstage seating. 

Also, I just got a War Paint mailer. The code is "mail" for $99-$119 orchestra and front mezzanine, and $79 mid-mezzanine. You can get tickets through ticketmaster or at the box office starting February 6th.

I'm still hoping Anastasia will have rush or an offer code past previews.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I need some ticket-buying advice/These are some offers you might want to take advantage of.

The Great Comet rush is getting ridiculous and it's very cold and I don't think my constitution is going to stand up to waiting outside for 5 hours. There's a code good for January and February "gcbox1117." With the telecharge fees,it comes out to $110 orchestra, $57 rear mezzanine, and $140 for onstage seating. 

Also, I just got a War Paint mailer. The code is "mail" for $99-$119 orchestra and front mezzanine, and $79 mid-mezzanine. You can get tickets through ticketmaster or at the box office starting February 6th.

I'm still hoping Anastasia will have rush or an offer code past previews.

Thoughts?

If you want to guarantee you see these shows on a particular day (Great Comet on Sunday, Feb 19th matinee, for example :-) ) those prices aren't terrible.  I've read on BWW that the rear mezz works really well for Comet.  The prices for War Paint also sound not terrible, although we don't know how well the show will actually sell and how deep the discounts could get.  

I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a definite time you need to see these, get them in advance.  If you can wait...wait (at least a little while).

I'm sure that didn't help...

ETA:  It pains me to say that those prices aren't terrible.  Because in the grand scheme of life, they are.  But in the grand scheme of today's theatre, they're...not terrible.  I got an email from my friend in the box office at the KenCen that said if you're looking for inexpensive tickets to Wicked this weekend, there are a few in the 2nd Tier for $120.  Yikes - $120 for 2nd Tier is awful.  But that's life.

Edited by ebk57
I had more to say
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I also think it definitely helps to see it [Wicked] as a teenage girl.

When I caught up with Wicked a few years back on Broadway (I figured that as a researcher/teacher of musical theater, I'd better acquaint myself with it), that's exactly what I thought. I compare it with Dirty Dancing (another title that nobody would have predicted would become such a long-lived classic) in the way they both tell teenage girls what they most want to hear: "You may not be popular now, or as pretty as your classmates, but someday people will understand how awesome you are and be sorry for not having appreciated you. AND you'll end up with the cute guy."

There's certainly a place for such messages in our entertainment. This particular one is just not addressed to me.

• Love 3

I mean, I definitely think you can still enjoy Wicked. There's a lot of spectacle. The costumes are lavish and interesting. I do think the big numbers (Defying Gravity, No Good Deed, etc.) work well if you like more pop music influences and belting and that sort of thing in your musical theatre. I would say the difference between Wicked and things like Dirty Dancing or Little Women or other coming of age stories is that it doesn't really engage with anything beyond that story. It's about one girl and then also female friendships. I remember the book having more to do with politics and a revolution but that's only vaguely hinted at in the musical mostly with the Doctor Dillamond stuff that I don't think is what anyone walks away remembering. Like Rinaldo says, it definitely has a place in the culture, it's just more precisely targeted than other popular entertainment. 

I'm curious how people who haven't read the book feel about the plot. I mean, a lot of it is different and distilled so it's just a romance/love triangle but I feel like the extra stuff about the lion and Doctor Dillamond, etc. isn't that well communicated. And yeah, some weak lyrics. Look, when you're 13 or whatever "I'm Not That Girl" gives you all the feels but again, even then I knew those lyrics were bad. 

(edited)

FINALLY http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jo-Lampert-to-Star-in-David-Byrnes-JOAN-OF-ARC-INTO-THE-FIRE-at-The-Public-Cast-Set-20170109

It doesn't thrill me that the cast for this Joan of Arc musical is all dudes and one lady. I think I'm aiming for a rush ticket unless word of mouth is amazing, in which case, it'll probably sell out anyway.

The Public Theater has announced casting for JOAN OF ARC: INTO THE FIRE, with book, music, and lyrics by David Byrne.

Directed by Alex Timbers, with choreography by Steven Hoggett, the show begins previews on Tuesday, February 14 and has been extended two weeks through Sunday, April 16, with an official press opening on Wednesday, March 15.

The cast features Terence Archie (Warwick); James Brown III (Priest, Judge); Jonathan Burke (Priest, Judge); Rodrick Covington (Priest, Judge); Sean Allan Krill (Bishop Cauchon); Jo Lampert (Joan); Mike McGowan (La Tremouille); Mary Kate Morrissey (Female Standby); Adam Perry (Priest, Judge); John Schiappa (Priest, Judge); Kyle Selig (Dauphin, King Charles); and Michael James Shaw (Baudricourt).

Edited by aradia22

Lincoln Center Theater (under the direction of André Bishop) has announced that Lena Hall, Brian Hutchison, David McElwee, Naian González Norvind, Omar Metwally, Austin Smith, Marisa Tomei, and Robin Weigert will be featured in the cast of its upcoming production of HOW TO TRANSCEND A HAPPY MARRIAGE, a new play by Sarah Ruhl. The production, which will be directed by Rebecca Taichman, begins previews Thursday, February 23 and opens on Monday, March 20 at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater (150 West 65 Street).

At a dinner party in the wilds of New Jersey, two married couples (to be played by Marisa Tomei & Omar Metwally and Robin Weigert & Brian Hutchison) discuss a younger acquaintance - a polyamorous woman who also hunts her own meat (to be played by Lena Hall). Fascinated, they invite this mysterious woman and her two live-in boyfriends to a New Year's Eve party, which alters the course of their lives. HOW TO TRANSCEND A HAPPY MARRIAGE asks: how much love can a twosome contain? What are the limits of friendship, and what happens when parents who have forgotten their own wildness have a wild rumpus all their own?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lena-Hall-Marisa-Tomei-More-Join-HOW-TO-TRANSCEND-A-HAPPY-MARRIAGE-20170109

Hmn... I have been curious about Sarah Ruhl. I'm not sure if I should jump on LincTix or wait to see how this one sells. 

The Humans is a pretty remarkable play I wasn't expecting to get into as much as I did.

I enjoyed a lot of the Wicked score, but didn't like the book.  I never read the novel.  And to show how good a predictor I am of showbiz success, I thought once Ms. Chenoweth and Ms. Menzel left, the show would have trouble finding audiences to fill that theater.

ETA: Sarah Ruhl is a playwright du jour whose work I can usually take or leave.  But she should sell pretty well at the Newhouse with that cast.

Edited by Charlie Baker

ETA: Sarah Ruhl is a playwright du jour whose work I can usually take or leave.  But she should sell pretty well at the Newhouse with that cast.

A lot of the Newhouse shows end up on my papering sites but I don't think Shows For Days with Michael Urie and Patti LuPone did (or I missed it). This would be an easier decision if the plot sounded more appealing. I'm still trying to work out how much I need to budget for the shows I really want to see.

Rachel Dratch and Jack McBrayer have joined the Crazy for You concert. Any takers?

Rachel Dratch and Jack McBrayer will co-star as the comedic Patricia and Eugene Fodor, two British tourists writing a guidebook on the American West, for the 25th Anniversary concert performance of Crazy for You at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center on February 19, 2017 at 8:00 p.m.

My current obsession is figuring out the right date/seat for going to see The Great Comet. I think I'm just going to do Rear Mezzanine and if I fall in love with it, I'll consider going back. I want to see one of the Tony frontrunners and Dear Evan Hansen just doesn't appeal to me that much. My issue right now is there's a big lighting fixture (like those sputnik/starbursts at the Met) that blocks part of your view depending on where you sit in the rear mezz.

Seats are not flying for Big River at City Center. I'm torn between just getting the seat up in the rafters that I'd prefer or waiting for discounts. 

I'm thinking of passing on Jitney, How to Transcend a Happy Marriage, and Bull in a China Shop unless they show up on my papering sites (which they probably won't). And I'll try rushing Joan of Arc if it's not sold out... I just hated those costumes for Sweet Charity. I feel like if I get a full price ticket I'm going to be disappointed by the experience. 

I finally did it. I committed to a seat in the rear mezzanine for Great Comet in early February. I'm still not sure I made the right call with the platform and the lighting fixtures and everything else to take into account with this show but I figure if I love it, I can go back and if I hate it, I probably wasn't going to like it that much anyway. Now I just have to hope everyone's in the cast that night and no one in the audience is horrible.

• Love 1

The Winter 2017 series concludes with Dear World, book by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee, new version by David Thompson (based on an adaptation by Maurice Valency of the play The Madwoman of Chaillot by Jean Giraudoux), music and lyrics by Jerry Herman, starring six-time Emmy Award- and Tony Award-winner Tyne Daly as the Countess Aurelia, the Madwoman of Chaillot. When a group of businessmen scheme to drill for oil in Paris, there is only one force in the world that can stop them: Countess Aurelia, the Madwoman of Chaillot. With the help of idealism, love, and poetry-not to mention two other madwomen, a local sewerman, and a pair of young lovers-the Countess fights to save Paris and the world from greed. Michael Montel directs, with music direction by Christopher McGovern. Performances begin Saturday afternoon, February 25, 2017 for a limited engagement through March 5, 2017.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Winner-Tyne-Daly-Tapped-for-DEAR-WORLD-at-York-Theatre-Company-20170111

• Love 1

CFMIR110

OFFER DETAILS:
February 18-March 12, 2017
$79-109 Orchestra (Reg. $99-$157)
$47-109 Mezz (Reg. $47-$157) 

March 13-June 4
$89-139 Orchestra (Reg. $99-$157)
$47-139 Mezz (Reg. $47-$157)

From a BWW thread... Telecharge Offer code for Come From Away

McCarter Theatre Center has announced the full cast and creative team for its World Premiere production of Ken Ludwig's adaptation of Agatha Christie's mystery masterpiece, Murder on the Orient Express, running March 14 - April 2, 2017.

The cast features British stage and screen actor Allan Corduner as Detective Hercule Poirot, Veanne Cox (An American in Paris) as Princess Dragomiroff, Maboud Ebrahimzadeh as Michel, Julie Halston (You Can't Take it With You) as Mrs. Hubbard, Susannah Hoffman as Mary Debenham, Alexandra Silber (Fiddler on the Roof) as Countess Andrenyi, Juha Sorola as MacQueen, Samantha Steinmetz (Bedlam's Sense & Sensibility) as Greta Ohlsson, Max von Essen (An American in Paris) as Ratchett/Col. Arburthnot, and Evan Zes (Incident at Vichy) as Bouc.

The creative team features a quartet of Tony Award-winning designers: sets by Beowulf Boritt (Act One, On the Town); costumes by William Ivey Long (15 Tony noms.; 6 wins); lighting by Ken Billington (Chicago); sound by Darron L. West (Peter and the Starcatcher).

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Allan-Corduner-Alexandra-Silber-Max-von-Essen-and-More-All-Board-for-Stage-Version-of-MURDER-ON-THE-ORIENT-EXPRESS-in-NJ-20170113

Saddened that Jennifer Holliday will sing at Trump's inauguration, to say the least. This will only hurt her career, and seems like a desperate move on her part. Better to simply say she was invited and turned it down, if publicity is the name of the game.

:( 

She's not doing it. http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Jennifer-Holliday-Cancels-Performance-at-Trump-Inauguration-20170114

Adam Jacobs is going to lead the Aladdin tour. His understudy is taking over until his replacement steps in. The rumor is Telly Leung but it has not been confirmed.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Adam-Jacobs-to-Lead-the-North-American-Tour-of-Disneys-ALADDIN-20170113

I should really be going to bed soon but I wanted to urge all of the opera fans who follow this thread to check out the Met Live in HD airings of Romeo et Juliette. It's not to be missed. Vittorio Grigolo and Diana Damrau were all I could have wanted. I like singers who sing out and they not only sang out but they sang gorgeously. The production was fantastic. The only time I rolled my eyes a little at the Bartlett Sher-ness was the white sheet. I loved the costumes, the set was great... this is the kind of night at the opera you hope for.  

I wish I could see it again but the screenings near me are already sold out. If anyone knows if/when this is airing on Great Performances (I missed absolutely everything last year) PLEASE tell me. 

HELLO BROADWAY NERDS AND NERDLETTES! How am I only just discovering this thread? I will have to go back and re-read all of it! I'm so excited to find my people. And I only even searched "broadway" because I wanted to rave somewhere on the interwebs about the glorious livestream of Holiday Inn last night. What a delightful way to spend an evening for $15 - in my pajamas, no less.

I will be over here, catching up on this thread, in my own little chair.

• Love 5
(edited)

OK, I wanted to quickly share about the all-female (band and performers) Jesus Christ Superstar concert at the Highline Ballroom tonight. First, quickly, this is my first real experience with the show. I know less than 5 songs because of course I do loving musical theatre but the only ALW I really like is Evita (I can tolerate Phantom). Also, I'm an atheist but I grew up in America, so yeah, I know the crucifixion story more or less though I forgot things like Peter denying Jesus 3 times. 

Anyway, from a practical standpoint, there were some issues. The sound went out early when Shoshana Bean (Judas) was singing (for maybe 1 minute and a half) and then I think it went out another time or two later in the show but very briefly. There were also some issues with the lighting and the spotlight person had trouble following people if they decided to move around the stage. Also, whoever put together those slideshows is a ridiculous human. They could have been powerful but instead they were very obvious and did not manage the tone well at all. For example, the first slideshow started with drawings of Bible scenes and then I feel like there were a lot of notable positive figures but then there were just a bunch of tragedies. The final one was also odd with a mix of inspirational leaders (Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi, Harvey Milk, etc.) but also just people who died young (JonBenet Ramsey, Trayvon Martin, etc.). If they were going to put this on as a real production that part needs a lot of work. Aside from the slideshows, the vibe was very Chicago revival (all black costumes, slightly on the revealing side). 

Overall, I got it without any of the dialogue. But I still don't like it nearly as much as Evita. To me, it's more vocal pyrotechnics and melodrama over real substance.

But now the important part. OH MY GOD, the singing. Alex Newell did a solid job as Mary Magdalene though I think he oversang some of the simpler songs. Morgan James was very good as Jesus and had a nice depth to her voice. (I do still prefer Paul Nolan's Gethsemane though). Ann Harada was fantastic as King Herod. She made it a total cabaret number. Orfeh was great on some numbers as Pontius Pilate but they gave her a lot of shouting to do more than singing. The two people who bribe Judas were great too. Someone in the chorus/backup singers took over Peter. It wasn't Keala Seattle. But for me, this night was all Shoshana Bean and she 100% did not disappoint. I mean, if you're going for vocal pyrotechnics, she provided them. Also, aside from Morgan James (and granted, I was trying to see over a sea of 6ft tall giants) who was really giving a performance and embodying a character. And I think she was even a few steps closer than Morgan. It was very much a "oh, yeah, this is why this is the role that gets the Tony nominations" thing. All the indignities of being packed like a (short) sardine in the Highline Ballroom were totally worth it. I don't think you could launch a successful revival but it's an all-female JCS is a good concept and I could maybe a successful charity concert.

Edited by aradia22

Manhattan Concert Productions (MCP) has announced Rachel Bloom and Jerry O'Connell, who will co-star as Irene Roth and Lank Hawkins respectively, for the 25th Anniversary concert performance of Crazy for You.

The show introduces Irene Roth (Bloom), a wealthy woman who has been engaged to Bobby Child (Yazbeck) for five years, and Lank Hawkins (O'Connell), proprietor of the town's Saloon and pining for Polly Baker (Osnes).

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CRAZY-EX-GIRLFRIENDs-Rachel-Bloom-to-Go-CRAZY-FOR-YOU-at-Lincoln-Center-More-Cast-Announced-20170117

I took my mom to see In Transit tonight. Show score review coming when I get my thoughts together. I think it had some pacing issues and was kind of average (like a really good NYMF show and a middling Broadway show). It wasn't bland. It just wasn't that ambitious. But if you want something fun and lighthearted, I think it's a good choice. I feel bad that they're not doing better at the box office. There are so many connections I could make... one is to The Band's Visit. In Transit is also telling smaller stories about ordinarily people but it does it less deftly. There are a lot of jokes and they're much less effective. They don't make you groan but most of them don't inspire natural laughter. They're not very clever or surprising. I really liked Erin Mackey's character and Moya Angela was the MVP for me. James Snyder and Margo Seibert were solid as always. He had a great dance number and she anchors a lot of the show. Justin Guarini was out tonight and Telly Leung is on hiatus but I thought their understudies were fine. I'll get more into the plot another time but I think my other issue was the a cappella aspect. After the initial tricks with the Box Man character and the layered opening number which is a little disorienting (it's hard to pick out voices) I thought the show settled in a nice place and you almost forget that you're watching an a cappella show. Sometimes it works well and it seems thematic or representative of something but mostly you're just following the story. I did have a couple of moments where it was hard to tell if someone in the ensemble was their character from another scene. It was never to the point that I couldn't follow the story. But my main issue with the a cappella is that it's show choir a cappella. What I mean, is there are choral and folk music, etc. traditions of a cappella. And there are musical genres that really celebrate the voice like opera, soul, jazz, etc. Show choir a cappella is more about replacing instruments with voices. And it's not necessarily about communicating the meaning of a song. So there were times I felt like the soloists were being obscured or at least the extra voices were unnecessary. Moya Angela and Nicholas Ward were really good at cutting through. Erin Mackey was as well. I think the two couples got a little more lost. Their voices didn't sound as special muddled with the vocal accompaniment. 

But I still think it was a cute show. I wish more people would give it a chance. I might want to go back to see Leung and Guarini but it's not a high priority. It's almost two hours with no intermission (they said an hour 40 but it was hard to tell because everything starts late now). When it's moving it's great. When it slows down you realize you're not the most invested in some of the storylines or characters, at least at the moment. I wouldn't say check it out for the novelty of the a cappella but if you want an easy night out that isn't all flash and glamour I think this is a nice choice. It's about people in a period of transition who have relatively simple problems. But everything doesn't have to be super dramatic to be worthy of dramatizing. For the most part, I enjoyed it and I think it worked well.

• Love 1

The London revival of the Henry Krieger-Tom Eyen musical Dreamgirls is headed to Broadway. John Breglio, who holds the rights to the estate of original Dreamgirls director-choreographer Michael Bennett, confirmed to Playbill.com that producer Sonia Friedman intends to bring the production to Broadway.

News of the transfer was first reported in the New York Post, which stated that the revival is aiming to land on Broadway next season. The Shubert Organization is listed among the show’s associate producers.

This new production, which incorporates material from the 2006 film version (namely the song “Listen”), is directed and choreographed by Tony Award winner Casey Nicholaw (The Book of Mormon, Aladdin, Something Rotten!).

The London cast is led by Glee and The Wiz star Amber Riley, who stars as Effie White, the role originated on Broadway by Jennifer Holliday and on screen by Jennifer Hudson.

http://www.playbill.com/article/london-dreamgirls-is-broadway-bound

Does anyone have any thoughts on Arthur Miller's The Price? I'm still not crazy about plays but I feel like this could be a hot ticket with the cast. But then again I sat out Les Liaisons Dangereuses and Oh, Hello, and I'm probably going to sit out Jitney and a bunch of the other incoming plays unless I get a comp and I feel fine about that. I don't feel like springing for even a $25 ticket if it's not something I'll enjoy. If it helps, I really hate The Crucible but I haven't tried reading or watching other Miller plays. And by now, you know I have no time for misogyny, even in older plays.

Producers David Stone and Marc Platt today announced complete casting for the upcoming Broadway musical, War Paint. Barbara Jo Bednarczuk, Patti Cohenour, Mary Ernster, Tom Galantich, David Girolmo, Joanna Glushak, Chris Hoch, Mary Claire King, Steffanie Leigh, Erik Liberman, Barbara Marineau, Donna Migliaccio, Stephanie Jae Park, Jennifer Rias, Angel Reda and Tally Sessions will join previously announced stars and Two-time Tony Award winners Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole as well as Tony nominees John Dossett and Douglas Sills in the highly anticipated new musical, War Paint. The majority of the company are reprising their roles from the Goodman Theatre's world premiere production.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Complete-Casting-Announced-for-Broadways-WAR-PAINT-20170119

On 1/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, Silver Raven said:

Taran Killam is taking over the role of George III in "Hamilton" from Rory O'Malley.

The "coroneeknation" from BDJ to ROR to TK was hilarious. I think he's a perfect fit.

On 1/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, aradia22 said:

This is my favorite show (pre-Hamilton) and I hope I can get there.

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Arthur Miller's The Price? I'm still not crazy about plays but I feel like this could be a hot ticket with the cast. But then again I sat out Les Liaisons Dangereuses and Oh, Hello, and I'm probably going to sit out Jitney and a bunch of the other incoming plays unless I get a comp and I feel fine about that. I don't feel like springing for even a $25 ticket if it's not something I'll enjoy. If it helps, I really hate The Crucible but I haven't tried reading or watching other Miller plays. And by now, you know I have no time for misogyny, even in older plays.

I'd say you've made it pretty clear that you and The Price are not for each other, so your money would probably be better spent elsewhere.

• Love 1

Thanks, Rinaldo. Sometimes I need someone to hold me back. Hiptix is a great deal which makes it way too tempting sometimes. 

Speaking of memberships and plays, I'm wondering if I should encourage my parents to take advantage of the LCT membership. But while I can find plays that I like (I just think it's harder for me than with musicals) they really don't have time for plays so I don't know if it would be worth it. I think it would only work out for them if there was really a hot ticket show. Like if they finally did the proposed revival of My Fair Lady and it was selling like South Pacific did. I'm happy enough with LincTix for now.

2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Anyone else going to see "Sunday in the Park with George"?

It's my favorite Sondheim so I'll be there, albeit in the Bob Uecker seats....

Raises hand!  We're going on Feb 21st.  If that's a Tuesday.  Looking forward to it!

• Love 1

Am watching the Concert 4 America and my initial thoughts:

1. Chita Rivera is the fucking bomb.
  2. Brian Stokes Mitchell KILLS ME every time he sings Wheels of a Dream.
  3. Kelli O'Hara is my queen (but only because AUDRA is off taking care of her wee one.)
  4. Why don't I know Carrie Manolakos?? #shame. Especially since she grew up an hour away from me. What a talent.
  5. who knew Sharon Gless could make me sob?
  6. Betty Buckley's still got it.

I have a ticket for the 20th anniversary touring production of Rent, and then the next day, Kinky Boots.

The Rent website says it stars Danny Harris Kornfeld as Mark, Kaleb Wells as Roger, Skyler Volpe as Mimi, Christian Thompson as Benny, David Merino as Angel, Katie Lamark as Maureen, and Jasmine Easler as Joanne.  I am not familiar with any of them.

• Love 1