Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Aisling

Bort
  • Start Topic

Philo investigates the murder of a mysterious fae. Tourmaline introduces Vignette to a new group of faeries. Imogen tries to have Agreus removed from the neighborhood. Jonah disappears.

Airdate: Friday, August 30, 2019

So, Piety/Indira Varma's character is the one behind her son's kidnapping, in order to make it look like it was the Chancellor's rival political rival instead.  She even went as far as to bring in a witch to fake a reading, complete with forcing him to sacrifice his pet bear!  Damn, that's ice cold!

Vignette is already out of that hellhole of a house, and looks like she's going to work for some kind of fringe fae group.

I guess Tamzin Merchant's character is going to try and use the rich puck for her own personal gain at first, but I could see her actually developing feelings for him and rethinking her bigoted stances.  I suspect the brother is a lost cause though.

Paying off her bounty and ceasing her servitude is certainly a good way to make amends to your ex after you faked your death.  Well played, Philo!

• Like 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Paying off her bounty and ceasing her servitude is certainly a good way to make amends to your ex after you faked your death.  Well played, Philo!

I wonder if Philo owns her for the next 2 years or did he free her.

Well . . . that's the most entrails I've think I've ever seen in the TV show.

I was a little disturbed by the full frontal nudity in the autopsy room but I did like the use of Fae wings as a shroud later in the ep.

As for the new Fae crime boss . . . Damn.  She don't play.

Regarding the character played by Andrew Gower . . . alas he turned out to be the wanker I was afraid he'd be.

Now can we get a "Hell Yeah!" for Alice Krige?  The Borg Queen is in da house!  But her role in the conspiracy around the faux kidnapping, well . . . not cool Alice, not cool.

As for Indira Varna -- her character is behind the kidnapping of her own son, right?  Damn . . . that's pretty cold too.  She should meet the new crime boss I mentioned above.

The fact that I'm referring to characters by their actor's name does tell you that I'm having trouble keeping all the character names straight.  It also tells you that I'm very familiar with the actors playing most of the main characters and they are actors from shows I LOVE:  Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Outlander, The Crown AND The Expanse (for Jared Harris).  That's quite a pedigree.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

I was amused that Vignette's friend (still haven't gotten all the character names down) doesn't think she's cut out to be a prostitute, so instead suggests that she join an underground smuggling ring where people regularly risk their lives.  I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure this is really a better alternative.

Anyway, good second episode.  I like the setting a lot, and there's decent variety in the cast.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:39 AM, thuganomics85 said:

So, Piety/Indira Varma's character is the one behind her son's kidnapping, in order to make it look like it was the Chancellor's rival political rival instead.  She even went as far as to bring in a witch to fake a reading, complete with forcing him to sacrifice his pet bear!  Damn, that's ice cold!

I was initially wondering if the point was to teach her son a lesson or something like that, but that makes more sense.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SeanC said:

I was amused that Vignette's friend (still haven't gotten all the character names down) doesn't think she's cut out to be a prostitute, so instead suggests that she join an underground smuggling ring where people regularly risk their lives.  I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure this is really a better alternative.

If Vignette didn't want to sleep with one people who was clean and safe, I don't see how she could cut it as a prostitute.

• Love 1

I guess Philo is on his way to making amends with Vignette by getting the cops off her back, and paying for her freedom. I guess its hard to find a "sorry I left you in your war torn homeland and let you think I was dead" card. Although I am sure that he actually had some good reason to leave her and make her think she was dead. 

Damn, fae gang leader woman does not fuck around! Are you really sure this is what you want to commit to Vignette? But Piety could apparently give her a run for her money in ruthlessness, having her own son kidnapped! Not sure if she is trying to teach him a lesson, get her husband to think that it was his political rival that did it to get him to be more ruthless, or both, but she is a real hard ass. 

I guess the rich sister is going to use the rich faun for her own benefit, but might end up actually developing feelings for him and move past her bigotry. Her brother is just a scumbag though.

Its a bit hard to keep all of the characters straight or figure out what all is going on exactly, but I am still interested to see where the story goes next. The sets, designs, costumes, and world building details are all more than enough to keep me watching.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

The sets, designs, costumes, and world building details are all more than enough to keep me watching.

It does have good production values. Good character building too, it’s not all special effects alone. I don’t generally get into fantasy themes but I’m really enjoying this. I started watching because a few cast members caught my eye (I’ll watch almost anything with Jared Harris in it, he’s always good) but I was hooked from the start. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2