Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: 2015

Airs August 4, 2019

Gretchen Carlson begins working with a lawyer after taping Roger's harassment for over a year.

So much deep and profound truth in this ep.  Ailes was absurdly correct about The Donald and American politics writ large.  I thought DJT would not recover from that gross display in the first GOP debate.  I expected Fox News to more fully back Kelly.  The quick snippet of Kelly's mentor/shepherd, Brit Hume was a mere glimpse of his importance.  He is famously a "good guy," too.  However, he continued to work for Roger and is still delivering for News Corp. 

What i had not counted on, and the very same dynamic is currently at play for the Democrats, is how it just takes a small and super committed (brainwashed???) core of partisan voters to create momentum in a field of a gazillion candidates.  DJT's audaciousness guaranteed he would be a force though the early primaries.  When Ailes made the call to back him through Hannity specifically, the dye was cast.  Ted Cruz was Hannity's natural philosophical guy, who also had a relatively hardscrabble generational story to tell (catnip to Hannity).  He essentially ignored Cruz.  Things came to a head in Indiana between them and the rest is history.

The Murdoch arc is fascinating.  Rupert would not have messed with Ailes as he did even 10 years before in elevating his sons corporately.  In the end, nepotism won out over rapacious capitalism and lust for media power.  I wonder if Ailes' failing health entered into that calculus.  I looooved that limo ride scene.  Rupert still had not quite fully evolved in his thinking.

Every single professional observation he gave to Carlson in this ep was true.  "Real," as was stated.  He knew who and what she was professionally and she did, too.  She also had ultimate trump (no pun intended) cards which he stoopidly and disgustingly handed her over those months.

The restaurant scene with the self-involved boyfriend was also brilliant.  Each was about their self.  Each had talked themselves into a relationship reality that was not there.  He came around and said the right things.  She was a fool if she bought them.

I had almost zero sympathy for that producer in the last scene.  She knew precisely what she was getting into and through her calculus decided to ante up in that particular game of career poker.  How many other woman who were at least as qualified as her were ignored as Ailes elevated her to a status not earned through media acumen and experience?  That scene still was quite chilling and awful. 

Roger Ailes was a personal monster.  And he ingeniously got an egomaniacal narcissist elected president and delivered billions in profit to Rupert.  Tragedy.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I thought he was a hemophiliac. He had other health issues as well? Interesting.

Did you watch the episode? He was recovering from some sort of cancer. It seemed like prostrate, but I don’t think the kind of cancer was stated. 

1 minute ago, SimonSeymour said:

Did you watch the episode? He was recovering from some sort of cancer. It seemed like prostrate, but I don’t think the kind of cancer was stated. 

I did. I know Roger was a hemophiliac. Just saying....

• Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 12:02 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The restaurant scene with the self-involved boyfriend was also brilliant.  Each was about their self.  Each had talked themselves into a relationship reality that was not there.  He came around and said the right things.  She was a fool if she bought them.

That was her husband, not boyfriend.  And even worse, it appears they're still together (according to Wikipedia at least...).

• Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, SimonSeymour said:

Ailes had prostate cancer.

• Love 2

What a disgusting piece of shit Roger Ailes was...using his power as the head of Fox News to sexually abuse women for decades. And the women who were his assistants and did his dirty work were no better. Using their close working association with Ailes to wield power over the on the air female personalities...the whole operation over there was gross and unseemly. Rupert Murdoch comes off as disinterested in the day to day operation of the network and turns a blind eye to the revolting culture of male privilege that is pervasive at Fox. As long as Fox was making money and got ratings he didn't seem to care about what was really going on there.

• Love 2

Something I meant to share earlier...The consensus of the psychological community is that sexual assaults are not about the sex nor any natural "high" most experience.  It's really about anger and power. 

I thought this ep brilliantly brought this theory home.  It wasn't about the orgasm for Ailes.  It was about affirming his standing as THE ALPHA.  He had never been more vulnerable.  So, he resorted to taking an advantage few, if any, could.  He may have hoped he could fully function, but deep inside, he knew he wouldn't.  

He got his kick(s) not from anticipating orgasm.  They came from affirming his sick/cruel need to dominate.  What a pathetic man he was.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Something I meant to share earlier...The consensus of the psychological community is that sexual assaults are not about the sex nor any natural "high" most experience.  It's really about anger and power. 

I thought this ep brilliantly brought this theory home.  It wasn't about the orgasm for Ailes.  It was about affirming his standing as THE ALPHA.  He had never been more vulnerable.  So, he resorted to taking an advantage few, if any, could.  He may have hoped he could fully function, but deep inside, he knew he wouldn't.  

He got his kick(s) not from anticipating orgasm.  They came from affirming his sick/cruel need to dominate.  What a pathetic man he was.  

His contempt for women and seeing them as second class came across pretty clear. 

• Love 1