Type keyword(s) to search

All American in the Media

• Start Topic

Here is an article (which I originally found because Primetimer did an excerpt) critiquing the way All American portrays high school football:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/5/8/21251340/all-american-cw-netflix-high-school-football-series

I'm surprised they didn't mention the scene where Spencer and Darnell both kneeled, leading to a double forfeit.  I guess that's covered in the overall criticism of the portrayal of the offseason 7-on-7 games.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Here is an article (which I originally found because Primetimer did an excerpt) critiquing the way All American portrays high school football:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/5/8/21251340/all-american-cw-netflix-high-school-football-series

I'm surprised they didn't mention the scene where Spencer and Darnell both kneeled, leading to a double forfeit.  I guess that's covered in the overall criticism of the portrayal of the offseason 7-on-7 games.

Great nitpicks. But they are very nit-picky. This show has become a minefield for memes. Which is good for exposure, but yeah, the football gets ragged on a lot. 

I'd say that especially in season 2, the football takes a back seat to the drama surrounding family, relationships, mental health, racism, neighborhood violence, teen pregnancy, drugs/alcohol, etc. Is it a cheesy teen drama that happens to have a cast with actors of color? Sure. But I'm here for it. 

• Love 2

CW 2021 schedule

The CW plans to start its new season in January 2021 with All American on Mondays at 8PM.

That is all if there is not further major production disruption from the coronavirus pandemic next year. While “we take an optimistic view at the moment,” Pedowitz acknowledged the CW also continues to look at acquisitions of English-language scripted series and is in discussions on multiple projects as a contingency, in case Hollywood production does not resume by fall.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

‘All American’ Spinoff Officially Set As Backdoor Pilot At The CW With Geffri Maya

It is a young adult sports drama set against the backdrop of the HBCU experience. It follows a young tennis hopeful from Beverly Hills and an elite baseball player from Chicago as they contend with the high stakes of college sports, while also navigating the highs, lows and sexiness of unsupervised early adulthood at a prestigious Historically Black College.

• Love 1

After next week's episode, they're going back to repeats again!  And they're showing the episodes that just aired the past two weeks.  Maybe there was a production delay at some point?  If it's just what the CW wanted to do because they felt like it, it seems very stupid, as I don't think a bunch of stops and starts helps maintain viewership.  But they probably don't care since a lot of people probably just binge them later and real-time viewing is almost non-existent for their network. 

• Love 1
On 6/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, KWalkerInc said:

It looks like there will be a new high of 19 episodes this season, as the press release for the June 21 episode lists it as episode 319 (interesting that this is filmed out of order).  This means that there should be new episodes from next week through the season finale on July 19.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/all-american/listings/

This has been the weirdest season in terms of airing of the episodes. If it’s a production issue, I would’ve preferred a mid-season hiatus vs. all of the starts and stops this season. I’m always exited to watch it, but if it weren’t set up on my DVR already, I’d never know when this show was airing. 

• Love 1

There was a bit of promotion for the show on the CW's annual airing of the Hollywood Christmas Parade, as Hunter Clowdus (J.J.) and Karimah Westbrook (Grace) got to ride in a car as part of the parade.  Hosts Erik Estrada and Laura McKenzie talked to them briefly, and they were allowed to say about two words each before moving along as the show went to the next segment (this is true of all people "interviewed" on the parade, but I'm not complaining because I don't know what I would have done if the parade had been three hours instead of two!  It's fine as mostly background noise though).

The show received three NAACP Image Awards nominations:  Outstanding Drama Series, Daniel Ezra for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama (supporting?) and Outstanding Writing for the "Homecoming" episode (the back door pilot for the spinoff, so interesting choice).

• Useful 1

I wonder if the show has even gone back into production yet.  It isn't clear from the interview, although that might be because Carroll was being interviewed about another show and Deadline decided to make an article out of one quote.  I hope the show won't get pushed all the way to the fall.

I kind of guessed this because he wasn't mentioned in the press releases for the first few episodes, even in the part where they acknowledge people whose characters weren't mentioned in the plot description.  ("Bre-Z also stars" or something like that.)

Another Deadline article suggested that the two episodes were added to "wrap up" Spencer's storyline, and that the show would likely be renewed but start over with a new cast to keep things cheaper.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/cw-canceled-renewed-all-american-homecoming-walker-status-1235889923/

I don't agree with the line in the article that talks about new cast "breathing life into an older show."  If they have decided to wrap up the story (which may be a good idea), then the show should end.  If they want to launch a new show (maybe around Deion who was introduced this season?), then include All American in the title, but give it a slightly different name.  I don't know if they intend to have any returnees in this scenario, but it still wouldn't be the same show, regardless of what the CW thinks.

(edited)

The cast will appear on The Jennifer Hudson Show on Monday.  (Per her site, it is Daniel Ezra, Samantha Logan, Michael Evans Behling, Greta Onieogou, Bre-Z and Monet Mazur.)

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added last names because the cat moved so I could type with more than one finger.
  • Useful 1

It's always odd to hear Daniel's natural Brit accent.  I know he is typically gregarious with folks, but he was more like the reserved Spence here.  Bad form that he was not given more attention by JHud.  

It was great that Samantha was all but ignored.

Waaaaaay too much Monet.  She was nice and all, but plays the least interesting character.

I noticed a substantial ring on Greta's wedding finger.  Is she engaged?

I liked the superfan, but it's always off-putting when someone like that is given camera time and performs the role.  Didja notice how cool and collected she was when she hugged Greta and Michael?  She was dead on about Layla's superior wardrobe.

I completely agree that being around legacy soundstages is pretty great and for the reason given.  Now, I could not care less about Martin, but the point still holds.

All in all, it was a fun appearance to watch.