Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Russian Roulette

• Start Topic

Casey and Josh risk a 500 mile trip north to the Russian line. Jake tracks down his own crab horde that is moving fast. Sig does double duty on the Northwestern. The Bering Sea cracks the steel hull of the Wizard as Keith and Monte face the loss of their Dad.

RIP Gary Colburn.    My heart broke for Keith when the call came.

Suuuure Josh knew better than Casey to go fish up on the Russian line.   Best haul since Captain Phil died?   I don't think so.   The guy has been dead 9 years.   Pretty sure they had some great hauls since then.   Well they better have.   But we all know they are there for the cameras not to fish.

Sig was not pulling double duty.   Edgar was running boat while Sig ran the crane.   Notice you never saw him actually run up to the captain's chair.   Only heading up the stairs or out on to deck.   They had Edgar step out of the shot (or used old footage) to show the empty captain's chair.   There is no way you can have no one at the helm when you are setting pots.   You need to record where those pots are going over and keep the boat on course instead of just hoping it doesn't wander too far unattended.   Especially in those seas.   

Did Jake A go to anger management over the break?   "Don't yell at the crew, it lowers their morale."   

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

RIP Gary Colburn.    My heart broke for Keith when the call came.

Suuuure Josh knew better than Casey to go fish up on the Russian line.   Best haul since Captain Phil died?   I don't think so.   The guy has been dead 9 years.   Pretty sure they had some great hauls since then.   Well they better have.   But we all know they are there for the cameras not to fish.

Sig was not pulling double duty.   Edgar was running boat while Sig ran the crane.   Notice you never saw him actually run up to the captain's chair.   Only heading up the stairs or out on to deck.   They had Edgar step out of the shot (or used old footage) to show the empty captain's chair.   There is no way you can have no one at the helm when you are setting pots.   You need to record where those pots are going over and keep the boat on course instead of just hoping it doesn't wander too far unattended.   Especially in those seas.   

Did Jake A go to anger management over the break?   "Don't yell at the crew, it lowers their morale."   

Poor Keith, Monty, and the whole family.  Keith has serious anger issues, but they're obviously a close family who care about each other.  Keith and Monty's reactions were a testament to the importance of their Dad in their lives.

The Cornelia Marie is more of a cheap sideshow than a real fishing operation.  I wish they weren't on the show anymore.

I wondered about Edgar running the boat.  There is a crane operation station on the NW above the working deck, so it'd be easier to reach from the bridge, but that still seemed like a lot of running up and down ladders/stairs for a man who had a heart attack a year ago.   If Edgar wasn't ghosting on the ship, Sig would have just picked up another crew person in Dutch, like we've seen so many other boats do.  

Jake A thinks about morale and treatment of his crew until he's been out to sea a while and is tired and stressed out, then his bad behavior kicks in.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2
(edited)

Amazing U-Turn by Disco to try to redeem Josh Harris.  Not a cigarette in sight (can you imagine how he must have smelled?), and the pretense (my opinion) that Casey took a secondary role and listened to Josh when he suggested going further north.  

ETA:  And let's not forget the whole crew having a prayer circle and Josh's comments about "having faith."  

This is the same Josh Harris whose business decision right after Phil died was to tell Derrick Ray, "We can't afford to buy gas to go out fishing if we can't guarantee that we're going to catch a lot of crab.  So we're going to stay here at the dock for this crab season."  Yeah . . . that'll earn you a lot of money to make your payments.

Not buying it.

And Jake appears to have been listening to the psychologist in that "warehouse discussion" when she said that it hurts the crew's feelings when the captain yells at them.  Now he's all into building up their morale.  Expect an explosion in 3....2....1....!

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 4
(edited)

The crane timeline for the NW arc was intentionally fudged in the previous eps where the NW was delayed in harbor, anyway.  Did, or did not, Sig leave port with the replacement crane ready for install?  Well, he's back now.

I do feel for the Wizard crew with the hull breach.  The family had that F/V in dry dock within  the past two years and did everything it could to make the skin of that boat ready to rock and roll for years.  This was not a case of neglect, poor planning, nor being cheap.  

Jake A. is demonstrating some good hunting skills.  If he could only learn interpersonal leadership skills, he'd be something.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

If he could only learn interpersonal leadership skills, he'd be something.

Some people are natural leaders.

Jake is going to have to figure it out. I think he wants people to respect his skills and just do what he says. 

• Love 1