Type keyword(s) to search

The Chef Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Cooking is a journey. And making a meal is about more than just food. It’s about appreciating friends, family and tradition. An opportunity to come together. To learn, to share and to celebrate different flavors, cultures and people. The Chef Show is Executive Produced and directed by Jon Favreau. Roy Choi and Annie Johnson also serve as Executive Producers. Coming to Netflix June 7.

Promo:

• Love 1

Jon Favreau Teams Up With Roy Choi (and a Few Avengers)

“The Chef’s Show” reunites Favreau with Choi — who inspired and served as a technical adviser on Favreau’s 2014 dramedy “Chef” — and, per the official description, will feature the duo experimenting “with their favorite recipes and techniques, baking, cooking, exploring and collaborating with some of the biggest names in the entertainment and culinary world.”

The series will see the duo trying culinary and cultural fare from across the country, including a meal with Favreau’s Marvel Cinematic Universe cast mates in Atlanta, a tribute to food critic Jonathan Gold in Atlanta, and smoking brisket with pitmaster Aaron Franklin in Texas. Guests throughout the first season include: Gwyneth Paltrow, Bill Burr, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Kevin Feige, the Russo brothers, Andrew Rea, Evan Kleiman, Jazz Singsanong, Robert Rodriguez, David Chang and many more.

• Love 1

The Chef is one of my favorite movies, and I had no idea Favreau made a show in the same vein. I love cooking shows, so I adore this show. Its just fun! 

The transitions with the El Jefe truck and how they list ingredients is one of my favorite parts of the show. I wish other shows would list ingredients quick like that.

I really want Favreau to have a real food truck now.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I completely understand why Gwyneth might have been confused but her arguing with Jon that she had not been in Spider-Man was peak Gwyneth.

That totally cracked me up! She was so adamant that she wasn’t in it until Favreau gave her a list of details and she finally remembered that she was actually in it. So goop. 

• Love 2

Discovered this wonderful show yesterday morning and have now blasted through every single episode - I can't fathom why this isn't getting more traction here !

The only really false note to me in the whole series was the cringe-tastic Marshmallow Woman 😬 in the very last episode, but other than that it was perfection.

The friendship between Jon and Roy and how they learn from each other is quite touching - there's lots of pride but no egos here...

My thanks to ElectricBooglaloo for setting up this thread ! 😊

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Schrute Farm said:

The friendship between Jon and Roy and how they learn from each other is quite touching - there's lots of pride but no egos here...

I really like their friendship and how much they clearly enjoy cooking together. Roy seems like a very patient teacher who doesn't micromanage or yell. I like watching them just hang out and talk while they're cooking.

• Love 5

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and blew through all the episodes. I love how Jon was game to try most anything even if he knew he'd look clumsy at it. I like Roy Choi's calm demeanour and patient teaching style. Their attempt (and re-do) at making beignets from a box was a highlight for me. Also, if they do another season, they should definitely bring back Bill Burr, 'cause he's just funny in a kitchen. Gwyneth, not so much.

I thought all the little animated transitions with the stop-motion food truck and the quick flash on the recipes were adorable. Whoever created those did a fantastic job - they totally delighted my inner kid.

Which foods looked most delicious to you? I can't really get excited about brisket or prime rib, but the episode featuring the Thai chef and the pie lady was an interesting combo of foods, and it made my mouth water. The deconstructed smore in Austin looked really tasty to me for some reason.

Glad there are some other folks out there watching it!

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved how obviously surprised but delighted David Chang was by how good Jon's cauliflower fried rice was. As anyone with food restrictions can attest, there are some substitutions that work better than others and a lot of times, texture is the issue.

I totally cracked up when Jon was making his green sauce and Roy started asking him "Are you adding this? What about this?" and Jon told him that the recipe he was using (without sesame seeds and all the things that Roy seemed to think were missing) was the one that Roy had given him several years ago!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I binged part two in one sitting!

I love how Jon asks questions and then tells Roy "that's not what you told me last time."

Chef Roy: "season the chicken."
Jon: "with gloves (on)?"

Keep it coming! Would love to see John Leguizamo be guest.

Loved Seth Rogan!

Curious if Chef Roy really liked Rodriguez' cauliflower pizza. lol

Am burning my way through Season 2, but not quite finished yet.

Seth Rogan going to town on a bunch of whole chickens was funny. The sauces Roy made for the braised version were waaaaay to complicated (though probably delicious), but I would have died for some of that fried chicken. I'm too "chicken" to make fried chicken myself, because all that hot oil scares me. Probably best for my waistline and arteries anyway.

Pizza! I thought the Italian pizza chef was very enjoyable and personable. I liked his own twists on the Margarita Pizza. Both the traditional and the version with beef looked delicious. Oh, and the meatball sandwiches made me drool like Homer Simpson.

Tacos! Oh man, both the lamb & the sweet potato tacos looked delicious. I don't do raw fish, but the fish tostadas looked so pretty with the citrus fruit arranged on them. Almost like a ceviche on a taco shell.

I am not a seafood person, but I found the whole Hog Island Oyster episode very interesting as well. I enjoyed watching them make up the dressings and the seaweed salad as accompaniment. And the oysters that were being grilled in the shell on an outdoor BBQ in that butter/chipotle/bourbon sauce or whatever mouthwatering thing that was, looked amazing. THOSE I would eat, no question!

This is show is the TV equivalent of salted peanuts! Can't watch just one!

Edited by Cheezwiz

S3 will premiere on February 19th!

Was pleasantly surprised! Really thought it would be the end since Jon Favreau busy with Mandalorian.  I think they've been filming since 2017 (references to time in Atlanta episode with Russo Brothers, RDJ, and Tom Holland).  I like seeing Jon Favreau's "world" with people he prefers to work with (RDJ and Amy Sedaris in Chef Movie, Bill Burr in Mandalorian, etc.) Next up - cooking with Baby Yoda! 

I finally started watching S3 and so far it's as fun as the previous seasons. I loved Wolfgang contradicting what Roy had taught Jon about salting things. I have never eaten at any of Wolfgang's restaurants so I can't confirm if his attitude on camera matches what real people are served in his restaurants, but I loved when he kept telling Jon not to be stingy with the morels and other ingredients.

That Hokkaido snow steak looked so delicious that Mr. EB did a quick google while we were still watching the episode. $95 for two ounces so we could each have one bite.

I was drooling over that Baja ceviche in the second episode. The pork dish looked DELICIOUS! Under normal circumstances,I would have gone to get some tacos after watching this episode.

I want to hear more about how Emeril used to tape his episodes in their kitchen!

Directors Guild of America nomination!

Reality Programs
David Charles - Eco Challenge, “3,2,1…Go!” (Amazon)
Jon Favreau - The Chef Show, “Tartine” (Netflix)
Ken Fuchs - Shark Tank, “1211” (ABC)
Joseph Guidry - Full Bloom, “Petal to the Metal” (HBO Max)
Rich Kim - Lego Masters, “Mega City Block” (FOX)