Type keyword(s) to search

A League Of Their Own Anticipation: Pregame Show

• Start Topic

I thought with Opening Day and the start of the new MLB season we might finally get some news about this show, or at least a premiere date. Apparently production is finished, but the most Amazon will say is some time this year. I think the film's 30th anniversary is this summer; maybe they're waiting until then to start creating a buzz.

• Love 1

What I am hoping is that this show will not be a shot for shot or an expanded version of the movie. I love the movie, but that story has been told. I think there are other stories about these women and this era that are worth telling. Follow the Rockford Peaches the season after the movie takes place, or follow a different team we didn't see in the movie or saw once briefly in a montage.

• Love 1

I'm glad someone posted the trailer for this in the film's thread, as I had no idea someone was doing another series.  This looks a lot better than the short-lived one that was rushed into production after the movie was a hit, and I think it's a much better idea to create different players rather than sticking with Dottie, Kit, etc.  (On a personal level, as I've seen the movie so many times I know much of it by heart, so don't want to constantly be distracted by comparisons, but just on general storytelling principle I think it's the way to go.)

Anything that brings renewed attention to the AAGPBL is good by me.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 8/2/2022 at 4:32 PM, Bastet said:

This looks a lot better than the short-lived one that was rushed into production after the movie was a hit, and I think it's a much better idea to create different players rather than sticking with Dottie, Kit, etc.  (On a personal level, as I've seen the movie so many times I know much of it by heart, so don't want to constantly be distracted by comparisons, but just on general storytelling principle I think it's the way to go.)

This is why I am okay with the Amazon TV series existing. The movie told one story about the AAGPBL, but that does not mean that is the only story to tell about the AAGPBL. I was worried the TV series would try to tell the same story as the movie, so I am glad the TV series is about new characters and telling a different story, but in a similar setting.

@BrindaWalsh Different parents allow thier children to see different things, and different parents have different ideas on what is acceptable/appropriate. (Growing up, my parents wouldn't let me see violent movies rated R, but they would let me see R rated movies with sex scenes. Other people in my class at school had parents who did the opposite.)

It is worth noting that the series is on AmazonPrime, which has far fewer restrictions on content (official and unoffocial) than network or cable. If you are okay with spoilers, read reviews or maybe watch a few episodes before letting your kids see it. 

• Love 2