Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E06 Lacey's Story

• Start Topic

I would be giving up all the happiness in my life - Lacey, WHAT happiness?  Nothing we saw or heard suggested any happiness... 

Her dream is to go to Japan.  That's a very long flight, so she better work on getting In shape!  

Lacey sees Dr. Now as a "stern, caring grandpa".  Well, it worked for her, since she did OK.   So far, I like her better today when I did during the original episode airing.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 12:15 PM, princelina said:

I agree that her “childhood trauma” was a mom with major food issues who wanted an eating buddy!  She learned all those bad eating habit and then practiced them when she was home alone.

I would bet real money that mom was one of the "my kid is my best friend so I'm going to use them as a therapist and emotional support" types. Supposedly the relationship with between the parents was awful so I bet Lacey had to deal with her mom "venting" to her about it and that can really mess a person up. It's extremely telling that despite being so heavy she moved out as soon as she did - she wanted nothing to do with either parent badly enough to move out even though she admitted she's scared she'll get hurt and nobody will know. You don't hit 200 lbs that young unless you're emotionally messed up and usually it's the parents who do that.

Edited by missnoa
  • Love 5

The bonus scene is her hotel scene while on the move to Houston.   Of course she is exhausted - what else is new?  And it's hard to find good things to eat that are on the diet.  Her dad was saying that they have to stay on close to the freeway and spend a reasonable amount.  So I guess if you don't want to get off the freeway, you do just eat the fast food.  And her parents were in the same car!  That explains the fighting, I thought Lacey was riding with her Dad and Mom was riding with the brother...  

It was nice that she was excited to see the different states and looked forward to exploring more.  I hope she will have a chance to do that...  I have visited 37 states and I plan to visit all 50, and it's been awesome.  

Their car got overheated while close to Houston and her father got really upset.  I get that, I would be upset too!  And Lacey was really appreciative that her Dad knew how to fix it, though it did mean the trip took longer than they expected and it was hard for Lacey to sit there strapped in for so long (that makes me wonder why she didn't get out to stretch her legs while Dad was fixing the car?  It's not like it was pouring rain or anything.

• Love 4

There wasn't that scene with her Mom not wanting her to go to therapy or talk about bipolar.  That's curious...  They just cut straight from them eating chicken to her Mom being there waiting for her after the therapist appointment to her painting saying that it's been tough for her since her Mom left.  Really poor job editing...

They did add a note in a later scene that Mom left because of how long it took Lacey to get surgery, but she hoped she could move there later.  

And for Lacey the hardest thing is to be active and find motivation to leave the house.  The girl needs to see her psychiatrist and get her meds adjusted...  

Also, I don't remember them showing the last portion - where she said she is enjoying the hikes at a nearby park.   I remember her saying she hated walking - I guess losing 200 pounds made it so much easier to walk, and her mental state changed too so she actually enjoyed being in nature and walking for 30 minutes. 

This supersized version left me with a much more positive view of Lacey and her future.  I hope they do a follow-up on her and she does well.

• Love 3

Road trips are stressful enough, without having long divorced people with rotten tempers in the same car.     I can't believe both parents, and Lacey rode to Houston together, and no one was 'accidentally' left behind at a rest stop.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, HelloOutThere said:

Dr. Now was savage with Lacey’s mom and I was living for it. Not right away; at first I thought it was too much even for Dr. Now, but the more we got to know Mom the more I saw it’s exactly what she needed to hear. 

I agree with the poster above who said that Mom thought she was sitting pretty — much smaller than her daughter; downright skinny in fact! Plus, she could still binge with Lacey and feel “small.” Dr. Now took care of that delusion QUICK.

I was dying when he essentially said to Mom, “Watch yourself or you’ll be getting weighed on the scale too!” Reminded me of when Glenda told the Wicked Witch, “Now SHOO before somebody drops a house on you TOO!”

I know it’ll never happen in this day and age, but IMO we need more doctors with the candor of Dr. Now.

Yes. Dr. Now is the Simon Cowell of My 600 lb. Life. lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, Colleenna said:

I find myself ff through the obligatory shower/nude scenes as well as much of the road trips. I was pleased with her airplane flight --- no whining about too small seats, etc ---

I confess that I look forward to the trips, and have been disappointed lately when they've been cut down, or cut out.
Hey, I don't watch this for edification folks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

The dad got upset about moving the furnitur and he was kind of portrayed as a jerk, but I saw a different dynamic. Lacey is acting like a 10 year old and sitting on her butt playing with her phone during the unloading. But the dad has aged quite a bit and looks in his early 60s. Must have fried his bacon to lift heavy furniture at his age while his 20 something daughter who desperately needs exercise sits on her rear. He’s at an age when most people have quit being parents and are perhaps grandparents and he’s stuck with a big payback who likes to paint pottery like at an eight year olds mall party.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Finally catching up on some episodes that were on my DVR.  Lacey's Dad kind of pissed me off.  Towards the end of the episode where he was talking about how it was embarrassing that they were gawked at when she was younger and heavier.  I know he seemed  contrite but that was better kept to himself.  All he's doing is reinforcing her insecurity by saying if you're fat, you're unlovable.

I saw the rerun of this one.    I bet Lacey is high on the list of the most mobile heavy patients on this show.   I was laughing so hard at Dr. Now's first office visit, and second with Lacey and her mother.     He really let Mommy have it.     I cheered when Lacey ended up doing so well.     I bet Lacey's parents just threw food at her, and I bet if there were baby sitters they let her have anything she wanted too.    You don't end up that huge at such a young age without being taught that stuffing food down all day from infancy.      That family trip to Houston was bizarre.     I can't believe the two long divorced parents and Lacey all rode together on the trip.   I'm glad Lacey made so much progress, and hope it continues.     I think she would be better off to stay in Houston, and get away from both parents. 

• Love 3
On 2/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, missnoa said:

I would bet real money that mom was one of the "my kid is my best friend so I'm going to use them as a therapist and emotional support" types. Supposedly the relationship with between the parents was awful so I bet Lacey had to deal with her mom "venting" to her about it and that can really mess a person up. It's extremely telling that despite being so heavy she moved out as soon as she did - she wanted nothing to do with either parent badly enough to move out even though she admitted she's scared she'll get hurt and nobody will know. You don't hit 200 lbs that young unless you're emotionally messed up and usually it's the parents who do that.

Lots of people have divorced and angry parents but only a few reach 600 pounds. Through her childhood, dozens of doctors, teachers and friends must have advised her to slow down. It’s like people who don’t want to quit cigarettes and their excuse was their parents smoked. Evolve.

• Love 1

I'm watching Lacey's rerun, and there are some highlights.   Her trauma was the mother cooked a lot, and Lacey ate a lot.  The discussion between the mother, and daughter driving to the airport, discussing if Lacey would need two or three seats on the airline was hysterical.   Then Lacey and her mom had to go through the drive thru on the way to the hotel.   Then Lacey's 'fall' from the taxi at the hotel was interesting, but not very believable.  

The long divorced parents driving in the same car with Lacey to Houston was certainly a stupid idea, and certainly contributed to the screaming matches after arriving in Houston at the apartment.    The mother getting called out on her weight by Dr Now (mother had WLS years ago, and was being rather mean to Lacey about her weight).      

The mother backing out on moving to Houston with Lacey was interesting, so Dr. Now was so right about the mother.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Yea.   Her dad kept saying he was embarrassed by his huge daughter.   Ok, I kind of get it, but YOU DON'T tell your kids to their face that!!.  That is so damaging!!  I'm sure she knows she embarrases her family.  She doesn't need telling.   I could never say that to my kid.  Idc if they're 900 lbs.  I probably would feel embarrassed!  But I'd never, ever say it to my child.  JMO

• Love 3

The rerun of Lacey's on, and her 'fall' out of the taxi/minivan at the hotel is spectacular, and totally flopping (like in soccer).     I can't wait until the part where Lacey and Mom fly to Houston, and go through the drive thru on the way to the hotel.   Then, one of my favorite parts is at the first appointment, when Dr. Now meets Lacey (691 lbs, and 122 BMI), and Mom says she had weight loss surgery, and Dr. Now tells her she's not trying any more either.   The look on the mother's face is classic. 

Then when the long divorces parents and Lacey are driving to Houston in the same vehicle, and that leads to a huge fight on arrival.    Lacey's lucky the brother and father came along to move her to Houston.     Then when the mother gets ticked because Lacey's losing weight, and the mother blows up, stomps out of the apartment, and goes back to Michigan. The mother didn't want the surgery delayed, because Lacey was going to talk to the psychologist.  

Mother refuses to stay with Lacey after her surgery, so the Dad shows up.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

They reran this today, on one of the Discovery alternate channels, it was just as entertaining as before.    Why did anyone think that two bitterly divorced parents in one minivan was a good idea?    The mother being jealous of her daughter's weightloss, was horrible.  And the mother wanting Lacey to hide her diagnosis from the psychologist was awful too.      However, the 'fall' out of the taxi van the first time was interesting, not convincing, but interesting.     I had to laugh at the taxi driving through the drive thru on the way from the airport.    

• Like 1

I watched the rerun today, and her mother is awful.  However, I wish they had a camera in the minivan on the move to Houston, with long divorced Mom and Dad, and Lacey.    And her 'fall' out of the minivan was epic.  

• Like 2