Type keyword(s) to search

Serenity (2019)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

The mysterious past of a fishing boat captain comes back to haunt him, when his ex-wife tracks him down with a desperate plea for help, ensnaring his life in a new reality that may not be all that it seems.

That description is almost a spoiler.

So the first part of the movie spools out exactly as has been advertised, that is as a wannabe Body Heat. Then Jeremy Strong's Reid Miller, who inexplicably has been chasing Baker Dill (McConaughey) all over the island, finally meets with him and during the meeting utters the cryptic phrase, "I am the rules." After that it turns into something completely different. The closest comparison I can make is Identity, but not quite. It doesn't quite pull it off, but it definitely wasn't expected which is always welcome.

For anyone who wants to be spoiled, here you go! Or, the tl;dr version, as summarized in the link:

Spoiler

Let’s recap: Serenity stars Matthew McConaughey as a video game character trying to commit a murder in a game that would be rated E for Everyone if not for all of the boning going on in it.

Sounds like one for the glory days of MoviePass!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

This was amazing. I’m amazed. I’m in awe. I don’t know how it got but I don’t care? Because I am amazed.

I didn’t laugh during the movie but right now, right after it I’m cracking. Oh boy was that a ride.

If you like Matthew Mcconaughey, if you like Matthew Mcconaughey’s naked ass (and you should), you will love this movie. The highest praise I have for this is that the actors give 110% with Mcconaughey giving the 110-percentist.

The kid made a video game where his dad is a bass fisher/hooker? A game where his mother and father have a very explicit sex scene? Where he swims naked with his father? What a ride!!

Edited by JessePinkman
  • LOL 1

I saw the trailer for this and assumed the twist would be Vanilla Sky-ish.  Grateful I didn't waste my free Regal Cinemas ticket on it.  On the plus side, it appears that McConaughey has finally started to look healthy again.  It took him a long time to recover from Dallas Buyers Club gaunt. 

On 1/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, JessePinkman said:

with Mcconaughey giving the 110-percent

Wow, yeah, this was a total mess, but McConaughay made a valiant effort to rescue it.

Aside from his acting, whether that fine ass was his or a body double's, thank you! for providing the best thing in this awful movie.