Type keyword(s) to search

Dirty Future: What Stories Would You Like To See In Future Seasons of Dirty John?

• Start Topic

When they optioned Dirty John, it was reportedly for two seasons.  With season 1 wrapping up soon, what story would you like to see covered in Season 2?

Do you think they'll tackle another podcast (like Wondry's other big hit, Doctor Death) or find another Dirty John-esque story with a conman/conwoman scamming a love interest?  

47 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I didn't know there was another season.  I think I've seen enough.

Just FYI it was picked up as an anthology series so completely new story and different cast.

I still don’t understand why they decided to go with the name Dirty John when it’s going to be an anthology series, I mean I know they did it because of the popularity of the podcast but it still seems an odd choice.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I still don’t understand why they decided to go with the name Dirty John when it’s going to be an anthology series, I mean I know they did it because of the popularity of the podcast but it still seems an odd choice.

So maybe the next one will be Dirty Jane?  In any case, I just don't think I'll be up for another con artist, man or woman. 

• Love 1
Just now, Ohwell said:

So maybe the next one will be Dirty Jane?  In any case, I just don't think I'll be up for another con artist, man or woman. 

That’s the thing the announcement was so vague it might not be about a con artist.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Without getting into spoiler territory, how would a 2nd season be possible?  What would the story be?   Debra goes on Dr. Phil?    

No from Deadline:

Deadline reported that "Season two will be a different and self-contained story, with details to come at a later date."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I'm with you.  I think shows like Dateline & the ID channel have covered the con artist type persons enough.  In fact, the day I saw Dirty John on Dateline, they  had on another story about a social worker who met someone on line.  At the beginning of Dirty John I got these two Datelines mixed up so I was expecting things to happen to Debra that had happened to the social worker.

• Love 2

The reason I started this thread is because the next season could go anywhere.  It will be with different characters but I imagine, based on this season, it will be about real people.  And, I would assume but I could be wrong, that it'll be based on either a podcast or another story that has been documented thoroughly.

The same production company that did Dirty John put out Doctor Death about an incompetent doctor in TX.  It's a very good but scary listen.  

Or if they stick with the same author who wrote the original LA Times story and narrated the Dirty John podcast, Christopher Goffard, wrote a story about the lengths a couple went to for "revenge."  It's not gruesome but it's a fascinating read

I also just listened to Teacher's Pet but that's Australian.  

Or yes, they could find another con story that I don't know about.  

• Love 2

I just watched a similar story on PBS:  The Widower. Based on a true story, it was about a male nurse with a spending problem who also was a pyromaniac.  He killed his first wife (tried to make it look like a car accident) in the UK, tried to kill his second wife in New Zealand and returned to the UK and planned to kill his fiancé in a boating accident.  It was pretty good.