Type keyword(s) to search

Words of Wisdom from The Doctor: Doctor Who Quotes

• Start Topic

As we await the arrival of Twelve, let's share some of the wisdom we've learned from The Doctor.

NINE: "If you want to remember me, then you can do one thing. That's all. One thing. Have a good life. Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life." - from The Parting of the Ways

TEN: "Always take a banana to a party, Rose. Bananas are good" - from The Girl in the Firelplace

ELEVEN: “Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” - from The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe

• Love 5
(edited)

First Doctor:

"Always search for the truth. My truth is in the stars, and yours is here."

"I am a citizen of the universe, and a gentleman to boot."

"History sometimes gives us a terrible shock, and that is because we don't quite fully understand. Why should we? After all, we're too small to realise its final pattern. Therefore don't try and judge it from where you stand."

"The least important things sometimes, my dear boy, lead to the greatest discoveries."

"Our destiny is in the stars, so let's go and search for it."

Second Doctor:

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things, things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."

"Our lives are different from anybody else's. Nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

Third Doctor:

"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being frightened and doing what you have to do anyway."

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting."

"I want to see the universe, not rule it."

Fourth Doctor:

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views."

"Well, of course I'm being childish! There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

"I'm not a human being; I walk in eternity."

"It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favourite species."

"You humans have got such limited little minds. I don't know why I like you so much."

Fifth Doctor:

"A man is the sum of his memories, you know - a Time Lord even more so."

"Like Alice, I try to believe three impossible things before breakfast."

"Dreams are important. Never underestimate them."

"You know how it is; you put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later."

Sixth Doctor:

"Planets come and go. Stars perish. Matter disperses, coalesces, forms into other patterns, other worlds. Nothing can be eternal."

"Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when working at full efficiency, not unlike myself!"

Seventh Doctor:

"Every great decision creates ripples, like a huge boulder dropped into a lake. The ripples merge, rebound off the banks in unforeseeable ways. The heavier the decision, the larger the waves, the more uncertain the consequences."

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies."

"Think about me when you're living your life one day after another, all in a neat pattern. Think about the homeless traveller and his old police box, with his days like crazy paving."

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."

Eighth Doctor:

"The universe hangs by such a fragile thread of coincidences, it's useless to meddle with it. Unless, like me, you're a Time Lord."

"In the fight for survival, there are no rules."

"I love humans - always seeing patterns in things that aren't there."

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
(edited)
"Planets come and go. Stars perish. Matter disperses, coalesces, forms into other patterns, other worlds. Nothing can be eternal."

There will, one day, be lemon-soaked paper napkins. </Doug Adams>

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", while having few actual practical uses in my everyday life, has nonetheless entered my vocabulary. Often in combination with "flux capacitor" and phlebotinum. Why mix metaphors when you can mix metaphors and media.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Four: "You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometimes and wave a tentacle." (Terror of the Zygons)

Four: Now remember. Give it thirty seconds and then ‘pow!’

Professor Rumford: ‘Pow’?

Four: Yes, ‘pow!’ Pow – pow’s a technical expression, Professor, it means all the microcircuits have been fused in one great ‘gyuh!’ of molten metal.

(Stones of Blood)

Four: I suppose the best way to find out where you come from is to find out where you're going, and then work backwards. (City of Death)

Ten: The Master, he just showed up again, the same as ever.

Five: Oh, no, really? Does he still have that rubbish beard?

Ten: No, no beard this time. Well, a wife...

Ooooh, what's this from? I haven't seen an episode with 5 and 10 together.

Amusing line about Clara's Christmas turkey --

Clara: "What's wrong?" You don't think it's done yet?"

Eleven: "I think a decent vet would give it an even chance."

And one from Rory, summing up what happens to me whenever I try to process a new story:

Rory: "Nope, too fast, I'm not getting it."

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 1

From "Deep Breath":

Twelve: Clara, what is happening right now in this restaurant to you and me is more important than your egomania.

Clara: Nothing is more important than my egomania!

Twelve: Right, you actually said that!

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 3

The one where the Tardis is inside a woman and she has gone quite mad.

She rushes out to meet the doctor, and one of her people yells to him to watch out because she's going to bite him.

"I like biting.  It's like kissing, only there's a winner."

• Love 1

Fivebyfive gave me this one from Lie of the Land.

"Why do you have a woman locked in a vault? Because even I think that’s weird – and I’ve been attacked by a puddle.”

• Love 1

Can't remember the exact quote but I did like this discussion from Thin Ice:

Bill: But couldn't any decision I make change my entire life?

Doctor: Yes! Just like every other decision you make.

From The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe.  A young girl featured in the story wanders into the caretaker's (Eleven) room and sees the TARDIS.  The doctor is busy rewiring some timey-wimey piece of it.  She asks him what it is, and he says it's his wardrobe that he's painted to look like a police box.  She asks why he's rewiring his wardrobe.  He says, "Have you seen the way I dress?".

Another jewel from Eleven.  Upon meeting Amy's BFF for the first time, he argues that she can't be Amy's friend because he knows all of them and he doesn't know her.  He recounts that he danced with all her friends at her wedding.  "The women were brilliant.  The men were....a bit shy".

My adorable Bill was entertaining a woman at her foster mum's flat.  She hears the TARDIS wheezing its way into her bedroom.  The young woman looks alarmed and Bill says, "Oh, don't worry.  It's just the pipes.  I have to go check on them.  Don't listen.  Sometimes I scream at the pipes".

• Love 1

From the Fires of Pompeii, The Doctor and Donna have accidentally landed in Pompeii one day before Vesuvius blows.  They have gone to a house to try to retrieve the TARDIS from a man who bought it as fine art.  The Doctor introduces himself.  "I'm Sparticus", and Donna adds "So, am I".

9th Doctor: "Everything has its time and everything dies."

12th Doctor: I liked all of his bigger speeches, especially the one about war from The Zygon Inversion and the one said to Master and Missy from The Doctor Falls, this part in particular: "Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand, is where I fall."

And from The Witch's Familiar: 

"Davros: Compassion, then.
The Doctor: Always.
Davros: It will kill you in the end.
The Doctor: I wouldn't die of anything else."