Type keyword(s) to search

Probable Orville Data Disaster (Update: Definite)

• Start Topic

Hi, Dave the site admin here. We are in the middle of processing the forums, going through everything and converting some forums into topics and doing some general housekeeping.

During this process our server crashed and we seemed to have lost about 3 forums including The Orville. I am working on a possible recovery but due to the nature and terrible timing of the crash I'm not hopeful (I will know shortly).

My sincere apologies, we had almost 2000 posts in here dating back since the show's debut.

I'll write back shortly on the recovery effort but I suspect we're SOL.

17 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ok, as with the previous forum, let's take the general comparisons with Trek and other sci-fi shows to another topic so as not to clog the episode thread up with non-relevant chatter.

If a topic no longer exists, feel free to create a replacement.

You bring up a good point.  Since, "The Orville" is Seth McFarlane's homage to Star Trek, perhaps there SHOULD be a comparison thread.  Unless there already IS one.  Is there a thread for comparisons?  Posters encountered the same situation in the "Take Two" forum as the new show, the brainchild of the writers of "Castle" was very similar to their old show and drew multiple comparisons to that and other shows in the private eye/civilian consultant genre.

16 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

You bring up a good point.  Since, "The Orville" is Seth McFarlane's homage to Star Trek, perhaps there SHOULD be a comparison thread.  Unless there already IS one.  Is there a thread for comparisons?  Posters encountered the same situation in the "Take Two" forum as the new show, the brainchild of the writers of "Castle" was very similar to their old show and drew multiple comparisons to that and other shows in the private eye/civilian consultant genre.

There was one but it was lost in the board update. I guess we are all waiting to see if  the comparison thread can be recovered or nobody has thought up a title and started a new thread.

There is no recovery. Everything was lost. Posters can start replacement threads with the old titles from the Wayback Machine linked upthread or think of new titles if they want.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

There is no recovery. Everything was lost. Posters can start replacement threads with the old titles from the Wayback Machine linked upthread or think of new titles if they want.

Exactly.
I can relate to the affliction of Fear of Thread Starting to the degree that I always break out in a sweat while dreading that someone else is starting the thread a moment before I do. It's so awkward and embarrassing. 
And then there's the issue that I was under the impression that the PTV Reorg has a primary aim of reducing the number of threads, and I do not want to get in trouble for starting too many new ones, so here's just the one in question,
and I am renaming a bit:
   Compare and Contrast: The Orville, the Star Treks, Muppets, The Voyage to the Bunny Planet, etc.
but perhaps others might want to use this thread to suggest better replacement thread titles, 
if that's permitted.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

And then there's the issue that I was under the impression that the PTV Reorg has a primary aim of reducing the number of threads, and I do not want to get in trouble for starting too many new ones

It's mostly about reducing the number of ghost town forums. Dave says upthread to feel free to restart any lost topics, so don't worry.

• Love 2
On 12/27/2018 at 10:53 PM, David T. Cole said:

Ugh, I'm very sorry but I can't recover the data in any useable form. I see some data, but nothing I can use to import back into the system.

Please feel free to restart any topics. Sorry again.

Some pages of various topics also seem to be retrievable via google cached versions, though those don't stay available as long as what's on the Wayback machine.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 1:51 AM, Emma9 said:

Some pages of various topics also seem to be retrievable via google cached versions, though those don't stay available as long as what's on the Wayback machine.

Then IMO it would behoove us to copy+paste what's available, before Google loses those pages.  

For example, here is the thread called "The Orville and Pop Culture". Should I copy over those posts and include the original poster names ("On October 2, 2017, Chicago Redshirt said") or should I let a mod do it, so that the posts can be attributed to the proper poster, or is there some other preferred method?

Edited by Halting Hex
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

Then IMO it would behoove us to copy+paste what's available, before Google loses those pages.  

For example, here is the thread called "The Orville and Pop Culture". Should I copy over those posts and include the original poster names ("On October 2, 2017, Chicago Redshirt said") or should I let a mod do it, so that the posts can be attributed to the proper poster, or is there some other preferred method?

Since we have this mod post:

On January 1, 2019 at 5:35 PM, kariyaki said:

Dave says upthread to feel free to restart any lost topics, so don't worry.

you should feel free to start a new thread or threads with the same title(s) or new variations on the titles, and copy over the posts, especially if you have the time, energy, confidence in your technical abilities (including confidence in your equipment to not crash at aggravating moments), and the will to do it, @Halting Hex.

However, it wouldn't hurt to message a mod to ask if any of them could do it in such a way that the posts could then be quoted with the original posters getting notified and acknowledged.

Maybe you could start by posting a list of links to the Google cached pages, so we could see how big the project is, if you have time to do that.