Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Driving Mr. Jackson

Bort

Jackson and Ramona's first high school party has major consequences. Becky and Jesse team up to host an awards show, where a big win goes to Matt's head.

Airdate: Friday, December 14, 2018

I don't know why Fernando trying to sneak out of the awards ceremony was so funny, but it was. I will say that Fernando has been a highlight this season, but especially this episode. Maybe it's because he hasn't appeared much this season (or because I just watched the actor on Dancing With The Stars), but I feel like his silliness has been toned down and he's gotten some more serious moments. It's actually very nice, as I liked his stuff this episode not only with Jackson but with DJ. I think, when Fernando has non-Kimmy people to act with, he's a much more developed character.

Plus, Jackson/DJ's scene at the end was surprisingly well done. Sometimes, the show is too cheesy with these lessons, but they handled this well. DJ was still disappointed in Jackson and grounded him, but she made it clear why she was lecturing him. I do remember about the Tanner's matriarch's cause of death and think that is what was on the back of DJ's mind for this episode. 

Matt winning that award did make it go to his head. I am glad he realized he was being an ass and apologized. They definitely have turned him into a jerk this season, but still not a complete jerk. 

Jesse and Becky's Mommy and Me class subplot was pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it.

This is my favourite episode of the season, so far. 

• Love 5

The joke about Stephanie having had a girlfriend for longer than Matt's clinic was open really landed because Jodie and Marla started cracking up at the end of the scene and they left it in.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

The joke about Stephanie having had a girlfriend for longer than Matt's clinic was open really landed because Jodie and Marla started cracking up at the end of the scene and they left it in.

It's even better, knowing that was ad-libbed by Jodie so Marla and Candace's reactions were completely genuine and surprised.

Also, at least we have further proof that Candace isn't like her brother Kirk so...points all around. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's even better, knowing that was ad-libbed by Jodie so Marla and Candace's reactions were completely genuine and surprised.

Also, at least we have further proof that Candace isn't like her brother Kirk so...points all around. 

Was it? That makes it even more hilarious. Points to Jodie for coming up with a good line and points to Candace for playing off it so well.

• Love 7

The actress who played Renee (the Mommy trying to hit on Jesse) played Sheldon Cooper's twin, Missy, on The Big Bang Theory. Between her and Rose (Max's friend), we have had two actors who have played characters linked to Sheldon Cooper. 

Max loosely has some things in common with Sheldon Cooper, but I think it would be more interesting if his character went in the direction of Alex P. Keaton.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:19 PM, madpsych78 said:

Max loosely has some things in common with Sheldon Cooper, but I think it would be more interesting if his character went in the direction of Alex P. Keaton.

I think he's supposed to be like Alex P. Keaton. There was a season 1 episode where it's revealed that Max actually has a mini-fortune stashed away when Ramona and Jackson need to borrow 100 dollars to get DJ's laptop fixed after they accidentally download a virus.

2 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

The actor playing Matt does comedy so well. His take when he was glancing at the banner with Truffles’ owner was perfection.

I'd love to see him in a romantic comedy t.v. movie.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I wonder what the original line was? That scene also had Gia's (presumably scripted) line about how Matt might win the award because of his abs because it's San Francisco, and Stephanie's very funny "you've got a point" reaction shot. No, Candace is not Kirk.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:25 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'd love to see him in a romantic comedy t.v. movie.

When DJ/Matt were looking each other up and down after agreeing that it was too soon for them to work together, I got a real jolt of sexual tension. He definitely has both the romance part and the comedy part down. 

On 12/15/2018 at 4:13 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I don't know why Fernando trying to sneak out of the awards ceremony was so funny, but it was. I will say that Fernando has been a highlight this season, but especially this episode. Maybe it's because he hasn't appeared much this season (or because I just watched the actor on Dancing With The Stars), but I feel like his silliness has been toned down and he's gotten some more serious moments. It's actually very nice, as I liked his stuff this episode not only with Jackson but with DJ. I think, when Fernando has non-Kimmy people to act with, he's a much more developed character.

I had the same thought. When Fernando talked about how he wanted to establish a trusting relationship with Jackson because over the next few years Jackson is going to have issues he'll almost certainly  be more comfortable sharing with a man than the she-wolf pack, I was genuinely moved despite the Full House cheesiness of it all. Fernando usually gets the most comical, over-the-top, unrealistic scenes... so seeing him speak so thoughtfully about a true-to-life interpersonal complexity was new and enjoyable.

• Love 4

The Stephanie girlfriend comment was amazing, and Marla and Candace's were so geuninue, I kind of figured that it wasn't scripted, even before I read it here!

Fernando is normally the wacky comic relief character, so it was actually really moving when he showed some real depth in how he helped with Jackson, and I loved when he told DJ that he didnt tell her about Jackson because he wanted Jackson to trust him, as he would probably want a man around to talk to about guy stuff as he got older, and would be more comfortable talking to him than to his mom. It seemed very real and true to life, and DJ being upset and a bit territorial, and then realizing that he was right, was really well done too. I wonder if she thought back to growing up with Aunt Becky around to talk to her about teenage girl stuff?

• Love 6
On 12/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, kariyaki said:

I thought that might've been improv - that laughter was more genuine than anything I've seen all season. 

• Love 1
On 12/21/2018 at 6:57 PM, kariyaki said:

I saw a clip of this scene on Tumblr and it convinced me to give the reboot a try (it helps that there’s nothing else on right now).

On 12/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Matt winning that award did make it go to his head. I am glad he realized he was being an ass and apologized. They definitely have turned him into a jerk this season, but still not a complete jerk. 

I feel like they’ve made Matt into more of a jerk just to ruin the Matt/DJ chemistry. I’ve grown to like DJ/Steve but only because they’ve taken Matt/DJ off the table.

Edited by BaggythePanther