Type keyword(s) to search

White Collar in the Media

(edited)

Neal vs. Peter.  Oh, please, no.   

Their rifts have always been the most poorly written and least believable parts of the series,  for me at least..   The writers take the lazy, sloppy route to creating a rift:  they turn Peter into a tone-deaf, unsubtle FBI agent cliche, and then they transform Neal into a hyper-sensitive adolescent, resentful and hurt because mean old Peter doesn't trust him when all the while Neal's doing things that prove Peter is right.    How many times have I yelled at them, Why can't you two just talk to one another?   Why do you assume the worst and then make decisions that deepen the rift?    

I know they can never completely trust each other but I don't want to see them snarling at each other, sneaking around behind each other's backs, resentful of one another for the last six precious hours of the show.   The writers pretty much destroyed the show for me last season -- they killed off the Peter Burke that I loved -- but I was hoping maybe they'd find a way to revive something of that great relationship for the final episodes..  

I want to see them smart and funny and playful again, I want some of the tenderness, the sensitivity that both actors are so capable of conveying.   I want them to end as friends, but I think Eastin has something colder and edgier in mind, something that says you can't change your nature.   Maybe he's right, but I don't want to see them dwell on it.  I want them to get back to a place where I will believe it when they say goodbye, where it actually looks as though they know that something extraordinary is coming to an end, something they will always miss.  I want to see that they understand that they have changed each other in ways that will make a difference for the rest of their lives.  I want to believe that they'll miss one another.,

I didn't believe the hug in that last episode of S5.    I can't even watch it; it means nothing to me,  It makes me so sad.  In that moment they were two weary guys who were polite enough to give each other a hug, but who had both had about all they could take of each other, who were relieved that they never had to see one another again.  They weren't sad or wistful.   They were just exhausted and glad they wouldn't have to make the effort anymore.   The relationship seemed to have flickered out, no life left in it.    I've been mourning the loss of TWoP, but that loss is bound up in the death of this show, the loss of the beauty of the Peter-Neal relationship.  

The people in charge did not take care of the show last year; consequently, I don't trust them with what's left.   I've thought perhaps I was wrong from the start, that I expected something that was at odds with what Eastin was trying to achieve.   Maybe so.   But he's the one who gave us that incredible pilot episode.  He and Tim and Matt created something so extraordinary   I hope the three of them can create an ending that is worthy of that amazing beginning.

I don't know how you revive the beautiful, complex, fascinating friendship that once existed -- all that vulnerability and affection, however wary.  Maybe the point is that you can't.   Maybe the point is that in the end find that the great experiment -- FBI agent and con artist -- is doomed to fail.  But I so long to see it at its best again,  and hearing that the last six episodes will be about Neal vs. Peter tells me that the odds are I'm going to be very disappointed.     

Edited by nico

Exciting news! Matt Bomer has been nominated for an Emmy as Supporting Actor in a Mini-Series/Movie for his work in The Normal Heart.

Matt's reaction, as mentioned in Variety (where there's also a picture of him and Mark Ruffolo from the film):

Matt Bomer, Supporting Actor in a Mini/Movie, “The Normal Heart”

"It's surreal," said first-time nominee Matt Bomer. "What I'm most excited about is that so many were recognized. I saw first-hand how hard so many worked -- Danny Moder, the cinematographer, wardrobe, editing. This play and this film has meant so much to so many people. Everybody really believed in the story. For me, it was a dream come true. I would have been happy doing it in a regional theater. It'll take a week to kick in. Maybe it never will."

CONGRATULATIONS, MATT!  So well deserved.

• Love 4

Right on, Helena Dax! I'm sure rooting for him too. 

I haven't watched the Emmys in more than a few years, but I'll watch this year because -- whether or not he wins -- I want to see Matt's talent get celebrated.  That said -- I hope he wins!   :)

• Love 1

Finally got a chance to see The Normal Heart. Actually, it's taken me almost three months to 'gear up' to watch it, because I knew it would be heartbreaking and I wasn't ready to watch it. But finally I did, last night.

There are no good words. Just devastating. Every actor in the project gave it their complete all and then some, and Matt... oh, man... Matt killed me. All of them stomped my heart to pieces, but Matt's horrific physical transformation as well as his complete capturing of the emotional devastation of the virus was shattering. He was incredible. I'm rooting hard for him to win all the awards next week. He deserves them.

Such an intense production. I was left feeling completely drained with the kind of headache you get from a really hard cry (and believe me, all of it made me sob). I felt upset and angry and frustrated and like "What now? How can I help? What can I do?"

• Love 2

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE EMMYS TONIGHT!!!

Matt Bomer was robbed. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films, Martin Freeman is very talented, but Matt's performance in The Normal Heart was wrenching. He deserved that Emmy tonight, as did his scene partner Mark Ruffalo. They were heartbreaking in that film and deserved all the kudos. I'm just glad the film itself won. At least I can think of it as the entire team winning together because they were all so good.

• Love 1

Thanks for the interview.  I was rooting for Martin Freeman...but not for the award he won.  I felt Matt should have won the Supporting category and I was rooting for Martin Freeman for his lead Fargo role in which he was terrific. 

There was some odd Sherlock swell that took place during this year's Emmys and Martin & Benedict clearly rode it for their categories.  I wonder if the Normal Heart nominees sort of cannibalized off of each other, especially in the supporting category with all those nominees.

Hi! First post here on the WC board, but I was on TWoP. I keep seeing the season 6 promo on USA and it's getting me more and more excited... and nervous for Nov 6th. I really don't want this to end with Neal and Peter on bad terms. I noticed they don't show the one where Peter says "Neal cut his anklet" anymore, and I'm one of those people who can spend the day watching SVU on USA (it's what I'm doing now!), so I used to see that one quite a bit and now it's gone and the focus is on "one last con." I really hope this isn't a fast finish but given the limited episodes, I'd be okay with a quick wrap up of the whole Neal being taken story in exchange for a more complete ending for these characters.

• Love 1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/White-Collar-Season-6-Postmortem-Jeff-Eastin-1088921.aspx

http://tvline.com/2014/11/06/white-collar-season-6-spoilers-elizabeth-pregnant-neal-vs-keller/

Guy's I'm worried we won't get a "happy" ending.  Matt says he didn't want the series wrapped up in a little bow he wants the viewers to use their imaginations in regards to the ending. When Jeff was asked about future movies he said they could always do prequels. My prediction, Neil will die but the last shot will of an island somewhere and the scene will pan to table with a fedora on it. Leaving us to wonder if Neil faked his death to save Peter Mozzie et al.

• Love 1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/White-Collar-Season-6-Postmortem-Jeff-Eastin-1088921.aspx

http://tvline.com/2014/11/06/white-collar-season-6-spoilers-elizabeth-pregnant-neal-vs-keller/

Guy's I'm worried we won't get a "happy" ending.  Matt says he didn't want the series wrapped up in a little bow he wants the viewers to use their imaginations in regards to the ending. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm worried about it too.  Matt's interview and one I recently read with Jeff Eastin aren't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I will forever hold it against all of them if Neal dies or fakes his death.  Now that Elizabeth announced her pregnancy that pretty much seals the deal for a happy ending for the Burkes but I want to see Neal happy too.  I want him to finally get his freedom and be his own man.........whatever that may be.  I don't need to see Neal in that white picket fence scenario either.  That's just not Neal Caffrey.  I like him just the way he is.....with a twinkle in his eye and a smirk on his face.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

SPOILER ALERT!  ;)

Tiffani Thiessen's got a new show called "Dinner at Tiffani's" on the Cooking Channel in which she invites some of her celebrity friends over and she cooks for them. This week I happened to catch the show, and guess who the guests were? Tim DeKay (White Collar's one and only Peter Burke), Willie Garson (Mozzie) and Sharif Atkins (Jones). And they were so funny, all of them together. My only wish was that Matt could have been there too. Then it really would have been a full White Collar homecoming. 

At one point, it was Sharif, Tim and Tiffani, and Tiffani mentioned that Willie hadn't shown up yet, and Tim said, "Willie's coming over? (pause) I'm leaving." LOL! It was a sudden flashback to Peter not wanting to spend time with Mozzie. But Tim was only joking.  *GRIN*

Also, apparently Tim is a healthy eater. By that I mean he eats a lot. Tiffani said it's amazing that he stays trim because he's always eating "like a horse." They all teased him, saying even if all his scenes had wrapped for the day, he would stay anyway just to have lunch from catering. Tiffani was all, "You would take stuff home with you!" And Tim just started laughing, saying (very Peter-like) "That is a fallacy..." LOL.

They all just seemed to have a lot of fun with one another. Obviously a wonderful group friendship cultivated from their work together on the show. They even toasted the show at the end, and that they were glad they could still get together once in a while like this to stay in touch even though the show was done. It was really sweet.

• Love 2