Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 6/2/14

Mo 6/2: Thomas Piketty
Tu 6/3: Morgan Freeman
We 6/4: Jonah Hill
Th 6/5: Chrissie Hynde

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Piketty interview. He's French, he's an economist, and he's written a critique of capitalism -- I haven't seen him interviewed elsewhere, but I truly hope he's an it-getter, since I imagine "Stephen" will come for him with guns a-blazing!

(edited)

I'm glad for new episodes but are we just going to get musical guests and their time-eating performances every Thursday from now until the CBS gig? They are my least favorite thing on the show aside from the weird guest characters that occasionally show up.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Piketty interview. He's French, he's an economist, and he's written a critique of capitalism -- I haven't seen him interviewed elsewhere, but I truly hope he's an it-getter, since I imagine "Stephen" will come for him with guns a-blazing!

He sounds like someone I'd like to read. I can't wait to see how he interacts with "Stephen."

I don't mind the musical guests, as long as they're interesting. My main problem is that some of the musical guests tend to be overexposed (i.e. the Black Keys performing a song they'd recently done on SNL; Hynde will be appearing on Jimmy Fallon's show the night before her TCR appearance). I'd rather see musicians who are NOT appearing on a bunch of other programs. The one difference is that Stephen always interviews them, but often those interviews simply prove why musical guests generally aren't interviewed when they appear on talk shows. Chrissie Hynde is a legend and a bad-ass rocker and hopefully she'll have a good conversation with Stephen.

When I saw the facial hair, I thought Stephen was mirror-universe-Stephen and there'd be some Star Trek reference.

I am in the middle of the episode now, and every time it cuts away from him, I forget its there. And then he appears onscreen again, and I am re-convinced that he must be EvilStephen.

I absolutely loved Colbert's tribute to Tony Stark, especially because I've always sort of thought that Colbert sometimes resembles Robert Downey Jr. Anyone remember the music video for Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)? He was a dead ringer for RDJ in that.

I was waiting for it, too, ABay. I couldn't stop thinking of him as Mirror "Stephen." Wouldn't Mirror "Stephen" be a liberal "Stephen"? That would have been a fun little arc to watch, as the real "Stephen" comes to grips with the fact that this alternate reality exists out there somewhere. That might have even led to his undoing (when the show comes to an end later this year).

Well on the subject of sci-fi scenarios, Stephen could regenerate into Larry Wilmore Doctor Who-style. Or maybe the new CBS!Stephen is actually an evil robot from the future who killed the original (in which case, all those "Cheating Death" segments will pay off).

• Love 1

After Jon returned from shooting his movie, there was a really elaborate "Daily Show" taped piece in which Jon ran through a bunch of permutations of facial hair until he finally emerged clean-shaven. I thought for sure there was going to be some kind of "evil Stephen" sketch involving the goatee'd Stephen vs. a clean-shaven Stephen -- maybe even the best (and hardest to film) "Formidable Opponent" ever? It'll be interesting to see if he's beardless tonight, or if they take it any further.

• Love 1

Aww, I wish I could have seen that, trow. That was a few weeks before I started watching. I did see the YouTube video of Jon over in Egypt with Bassem, and I thought he looked fantastic with that light stubble. With the way he combed his hair, the stubble, the lighting and all, it was just really, really nice. [/shallow]

Anyway, back on topic, here's hoping for more bearded Stephen tonight!

So much for the stubble.

Wow! You've gone too far as a gun rights group when the NRA suggests you take it down a notch. Of course, what these open carry assholes fail to realise is that restaurants, like Chipotle, are private businesses and as such have the right to not let anyone into their establishment they feel are a threat. Like gun wielding morons.

Morgan Freeman. Is there any other way to express how awesome he is?

(edited)

RIP beard. You shall be missed.

"Stephen" licking Reagan's ear is a sight I cannot unsee. I enjoyed the conversation with Esty, and Morgan Freeman is always wonderful. I wonder if he knew that "god" had a cameo on TDS tonight.

The second segment on transgender people didn't work for me, but I'm not familiar enough with TCR to know what to have expected, really. It didn't seem to coalesce and make a point, and that left me feeling somewhat at odds with bits of the humor.

Edited by maraleia
FYI-changed term to transgender per standards of correct terminology

I just thought the transgender segment was just to point out that while it looks like our society are starting to accept transgender people, it's really only the sexy ones. There wasn't much depth or complexity to the story, but that's all I got out of it.

I was not sad to see Stephen's facial hair go. It just didn't seem… right.

I thought it was weird when Stephen did those different voices for the gun segment, but I guess he's done other voices before. Hasn't he?

Loved the line during the story on coal -- "What will we give to naughty kids on Christmas? A stocking full of wind?"

Re Obama's "war on coal," while it's a good thing to make changes in how we produce energy and what we use, there are going to be job losses. Even tho I'm on his side, I hated that the guest kept saying "transition" when it was clear he was referring to job losses. At least Stephen called him out on it. There are areas of the country where coal is their industry, where generations have worked in the coal mines, and of course they are worried about their jobs disappearing, not to mention other jobs that rely on those workers in those communities. It's insulting to hear someone say, "Yes, there will be transitions," when it really means, "Yes, people will lose their jobs." 

I enjoyed Freeman's interview. I haven't watched any of his Wormhole show. I should probably look it up.

• Love 1

Peeayebee, I agree. I'm on his side, too, as far as energy goes, but when they were talking about "transitions," I couldn't help thinking of my time as a Human Resources interpreter in the manufacturing industry. We have a generation or two of workers who have been in one industry their whole lives, often without higher education to supplement their work experience, and--from what I've witnessed, at least--companies aren't that willing to hire an older, hardworking person who is seen as "set in their ways" if there's a younger, more "trainable" workforce to select from. Not to mention that trying to get a job outside of one's field of expertise, even with a college degree, is extremely difficult; an assembler trying to get a welding job or something is difficult enough, let alone someone like a welder getting an office job. I've seen that happen once, but he had to work twice as hard as anyone else, and he was still treated differently. Talking about new technology and alternative sources of energy as a "war on ___," as Republicans do, really hits home for a lot of people because it will absolutely have this devastating effect on their livelihood, which can/will trickle down to their children's opportunities. It's no wonder Republican talking points on energy are latched onto by the people whose fear and circumstances those talking points exploit for political capital. I really enjoyed how Stephen handled that conversation and didn't let up on him.

What I've seen of Through the Wormhole has been fantastic.

Chrissy Hyde was totally cool flirting with Stephen and playing along with him that she left him nearly speechless.

Perfect analogy of Karl Rove's suggestion that Hilary Clinton may have brain damage by grasping at real straws. Same with Drudge.

How low does the right have to go to discredit President Obama by slandering and sliming a freed U.S. soldier held captive by the Taliban. Are the people of America finally going to realize how horrible they are?

• Love 1

I bet the writers had giggle fits when they came up with Stephen Colbert's Sport Report Spore Report.

And speaking of giggling, I loved when Stephen was wiggling eyebrows then turned that into making faces at the camera.