Type keyword(s) to search

S24: Caroline & Jennifer

• Start Topic

I was not a big fan of the "not like us" comment. I mean, in some ways, Brendan (Brendon?) and Rachel aren't like Caroline and Jennifer. But in all the ways I didn't like Rachel, I kind of think she is like Caroline and Jennifer. The pettiness, the flirting to get what they want (or just get ahead or get by), the "I've got to win this million dollars." I don't think Caroline and Jennifer can really even say they don't want to be famous and be on TV the way Brendan and Rachel (apparently) do, as this is their second time to be on The Amazing Race and given their careers (such as they are) in country music. TAR isn't even their first go-round with reality TV, although it is their first time on a show that actually got produced.

Perhaps they meant that Brendan and Rachel weren't like them in that Brendan and Rachel are capable of finding their way out of a wet paper bag on their own.

• Love 2

I'm not a fan of female teams who need a man to help them do tasks that involve math, or building, or anything mechanical or technical.  AND saying they just follow male teams because "it's nice following guys, they always know directions". 

UGH!  I want female teams who have the attitude that they can win on their own merits. 

OK, the guys might be stronger than you -  but when you say they're also SMARTER ?  go back to the 1950's .

UGH!  I want female teams who have the attitude that they can win on their own merits.

Seriously, they are AWFUL. Without the help of the male teams, they would have gone out in leg 2, when Caroline was apparently dumbfounded by the toy assembly task. And they've been saved so many times since. What's even more obnoxious is that they know they're being helped along, and yet they can't stop talking about how awesome they are.

Can't blame Leo & Jamal though--they're going into this alliance for the right reasons. D&C and the country singers will be way easier to beat in a final three than the Cowboys or B&R.

Edited by Chyna

Caroline's claiming on twitter that people are saying they want to murder her and Jen, which would be horrible and wrong if it were actually happening, but I don't see a single tweet that even comes close to that. People are saying they're bullies, rude, and terrible racers, but no one is threatening them. It seems like this has become the common trajectory for people who behave badly on reality shows.

1. Act like an asshole on TV.

2. Get called out on social media for acting like an asshole on TV.

3. Insincere apology/Claim that the "haters and trolls" only saw an edited version

4. Discover that no one is buying that.

5. Claim that you received death threats.

6. Regretfully shut down your social media accounts to protect yourself and your family. (Imagine a bunch of scare quotes in that sentence.)

7. Open them back a week later because you bravely refuse to let the haters win!

It's interesting that Jen and Caroline are taking the brunt of it rather than Dave and Connor, but it might just be that Connor isn't responding at all and all Dave did was say "me too," when Caroline said she apologized "if I was immature" to Rachel. Caroline and especially Jen are arguing with people and feeding into it.

Caroline's claiming on twitter that people are saying they want to murder her and Jen, which would be horrible and wrong if it were actually happening, but I don't see a single tweet that even comes close to that. People are saying they're bullies, rude, and terrible racers, but no one is threatening them. It seems like this has become the common trajectory for people who behave badly on reality shows.

1. Act like an asshole on TV.

2. Get called out on social media for acting like an asshole on TV.

3. Insincere apology/Claim that the "haters and trolls" only saw an edited version

when Caroline said she apologized "if I was immature" to Rachel. Caroline and especially Jen are arguing with people and feeding into it.

If she was immature? Does she know what that word means?

No. 3 makes me think of Colin vs. the Ox and him claiming that he was telling the ox he hated it and people didn't understand because they saw an edited version -- except that CBS put the entire unedited segment on its website.

• Love 1

Could we say that this team pretty much Dandrew'ed themselves to the final three, except that they did have at least a couple of top half finishes in the earlier legs (excluding leg 2, which they may have been eliminated except for that Express Pass)?

I think they were worse than Dandrew, who mainly just got lucky when other teams screwed up. C&J intentionally let other teams drag them along. If they took the effort they put into "flirting" and giggling and courting male assistance and put it into actually running their own damn Race, they could have won. 

The fact that their strategy, such as it was, didn't work is the only thing that saved the finale for me.

I promise I'm not just being contrary, but I sort of liked their flirtation strategy. I had no desire to see them win, and felt they were pretty much incompetent in comparison to traditional Lead Dog, male or female, race stars. But they came on, did their thing, got lucky a couple times and did well a couple of times and just played their game. They didn't screech or tell me about their ankle tendons or lash out at the world.

I guess I'm thinking: they wouldn't be my perfect example of a nontraditional successful team, but I like that someone in the game can do well without being the typical successful winner. So I cut them slack. 

• Love 1

I didn't mind their flirtation strategy. It's not my favorite because I like to see women who can and will do things for themselves, but if that's what you've got, then that's what you've got. I did mind their apparent belief that they were successfully doing things for themselves.

As I noted on TWoP as the days dwindled, the Sangers are the holders of the "Legs Raced Without Ever Winning One" trophy, having "bettered" the mark previously set by Kent and Jennifer ("Vyxsin") halfway through this race.  Leech away, Leeches.  (Sigh.)

I'm not a fan of female teams who need a man to help them do tasks that involve math, or building, or anything mechanical or technical.  AND saying they just follow male teams because "it's nice following guys, they always know directions". 

OK, the guys might be stronger than you -  but when you say they're also SMARTER ?  go back to the 1950's .

That's why I liked the Twinnies, even though they annoyed a lot of people. They were a strong female team and didn't rely on the help of dudes simply because they were dudes. In fact, they did a lot of the physical tasks better than the male-male or female-male teams. YAY TWINNIES.