Type keyword(s) to search

Buffy Calendar

• Start Topic

As the demon never introduced itself to Spike (other than throwing him through the ceiling…which, for all we know, could be proper etiquette back home…), I rather believe Spike's calling it "nancy" isn't meant so much as a proper name, but as short hand for "nancy boy", one of Sparky's favorite insults.  (He uses it against Big Ugly in School Hard, and in discussing Angel's hair gel in In the Dark.)

Just the old homophobia come out to play again.  Some bottom bois never really learn to accept it.  (Although I'm guessing Angel wasn't the gentlest of "sire"s, it's true.)

And you've forgotten the nicest woman Xander ever awkwardly flirted with on UPN…Nancy (Kaarina au Franc) from Beneath You.

June 28

1964 - Turi Meyer, an American producer, writer and director who directed Buffy's S.06E.09 Smashed and three eps of Angel (S.02E.19 Belonging, S.03E.07 Offspring, S.03E.17 Forgiving).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-X1EpuWBXdjk.thumb.jpg.1430fdda30135dcaf7c3fcc57acbb7d6.jpg

1979 - Felicia Day, an American actress, writer and producer who portrayed Vi in eight episodes of the seventh season.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-atQ2v5zOvmE2jd.thumb.jpg.0010373a860de50346225766c1674fc0.jpg

1985 - RaéVen Kelly, an American actress, producer and writer who played Lisa in S.05E.16 The Body.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-JmKtBryKPYszo.thumb.jpg.0aff856612ab6685d568f7bb03f7164a.jpg

(edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 7:15 AM, lembergwatcher said:

There are three Nancys in the 'Verse:

How many Lisas do we have, I wonder?  

• Lisa the tuba player from The Puppet Show

• Lisa the cheerleader from Some Assembly Required (no lines, but Buffy says her name ["Joy, Lisa—"] when she stops Amanda Wilmshurst [who also played cheer captain Joy in Witch] and another girl on the stairs, as Buffy searches for Cordelia)

• Lisa, Dawn's one-off friend in the bathroom in The Body

Am I missing any?  Do the Lisas think the Nancys are beneath them?  Or does the Nancy tribe have a new Lisa life?

Edited by Halting Hex
(edited)
4 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Nice to see [Pat Crawford Brown] in HIMYM, be interesting if AH remembered her 

Likely Alyson did; it had only been seven years, after all.  

I went searching for images of PCB in "Three Days of Snow", but couldn't find one.  Did find a few of her apparently involved in SAG union activity (on a picket line once and with the pencil and the microphone, as seen above), which good for Pat, but not what I was looking for.

Edited by Halting Hex

Help is 7.04.

1 hour ago, lembergwatcher said:

1983 - Angela Sarafyan (Անժելա Սարաֆյան), an Armenian American actress and producer

I wonder if she's related to Deran Serafian?  Yes, the spelling is different, but as seen, there's transliteration from the  Armenian alphabet involved;  some minor variations would not be impossible, IMO.

8 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I wonder if she's related to Deran Serafian?

I guess it's just a common last name.

Speaking of names...

On 6/29/2019 at 4:06 AM, Halting Hex said:

How many Lisas do we have, I wonder?

So far we have three Lisas, three Nancys, two Taras, two Bens, two Adams, two Andrews, two Sheilas and... 

July 1

1953 - Barbara Whinnery, an American actress who played Mrs. Anderson in S.01E.06 The Pack.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-jpCWSnzs5RJG97QD.thumb.jpg.0dee887c189115cd1c5d8d3d298ab7ac.jpg

1962 - Dominic Keating, a British actor who played Blair in S.03E.12 Helpless.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-7PRl4hI6OWmoC1.thumb.jpg.e3a041a295dff952a6b57db8e30672dc.jpg

1971 - Steven W. Bailey , an American actor who portrayed Cave Demon in three eps of Buffy (S.06E.20 Villains, S.06E.21 Two to Go, S.06E.22 Grave) and Ryan in Angel's S.03E.04 Carpe Noctem.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-LP93a8OWuy8.thumb.jpg.2ffd523be2473dc6e326b4b6c032a912.jpg

Remember, the Cave Demon actually has a name.  From Selfless:

D'HOFFRYN: I figured I'd be hearing from you [Willow] soon. The flaying of Warren Meers? Oh, truly inspired. That was water cooler vengeance. Lloyd has a sketch of it on his wall.

I would say that "Lloyd" is a rather prosaic name for a demon, but after finding out that the Ascension Books demon was named "Skyler", nothing surprises me.

July 2

1983 - Michelle Branch, an American singer, songwriter, and actress who appeared in S.06E.08 Tabula Rasa.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-XcreOoO29eLg1s.thumb.jpg.9811635e74dbb18000b27e31d0faf190.jpg

1991 - Joey Hiott, an American actor who played 10-years-old "Josh Harris" in S.06E.16 Hell's Bells.

tve60381-20020305-760.jpg.fae1836f4e15b6eea4e4b7f7fafb87b2.jpg

July 6

1956 - Casey Sander, an American actor who portrayed Tony Harris in S.06E.16 Hell's Bells.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-qv2VAChMGtB.thumb.jpg.08b104a9c28211b2ebfd6b7c53fd3020.jpg

1978 - Adam Busch, an American actor, director, producer & musician who played Warren Meers in 16 eps of Buffy (seasons 5-7).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-GXPP0u07CH2qmgE.thumb.jpg.752a1adccaf6b8d1b6e1a68d3a4709f5.jpg

July 8

1966 - Suzanne Krull (d. 2013), an American actress, writer and producer who played Clerk in S.03E.08 Lovers Walk.

34mhak.jpg.6459a13cb3dc503cb44230654e1ecff2.jpg

1976 - Iyari Limon, a Mexican American actress who portrayed Kennedy in thirteen eps of the seventh season.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-R1IJR2djaRmuue.thumb.jpg.273de205ec33b89191458dff9a6fd5f7.jpg

(edited)

So sorry to see Suzanne Krull passed a relatively-young age.  They didn't spot James Masters at the funeral home, by any chance, "having" a go at the corpse for old time's sake? (Kidding! JM is not Spike, after all.)

So strange to see the swings that Robia's career took in the '90s…from on tour with Prince (how did she dance with all that hair?), to on the beach with Brandon, to in the stacks with Giles.  If, presumably, young Mr. Walsh did what healthy Minnesota twins do with lovely ladies on their arms, that means that both Brandon and Giles have locked lips with both Robia and Emma.  Heh, now I'm imagining that double-date.  Does Brandon like Nescafé/Tasters Choice?  

I always think of Adam Busch's Law & Order episode ("Expert", with Vera Farmiga as the killer and Adam as a waiter/witness) as being closer to his time in Sunnydale.  It's really not; it's 1998 and Warren doesn't show until 2001.  Plenty of time to switch coasts and go Hollywood.

Never forget that Iyari Limón did so much "research" for her role as Kennedy, visiting lesbian bars and the like, that she started dating girls in real life and for a while she identified as lesbian herself, even giving an interview to The Advocate as such. (Her personal life took turns after that, though, including a child with an ex-boyfriend.)  Now that's dedication to one's craft!

I'd say her co-stars could learn a thing or two from her, but then we might really have had JM turning up at Suzanne Krull's funeral to give her one for the road.  So probably best if Iyari wasn't too "inspirational", after all.

Edited by Halting Hex

July 9

1965 - K. Todd Freeman (b. Kenneth Todd Freeman), an American actor who portrayed Mr. Trick in five episodes of the third season (S.03E.03 Faith, Hope & Trick, S.03E.05 Homecoming, S.03E.06 Band Candy, S.03E.14 Bad Girls, S.03E.15 Consequences).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-aVsjTynNzSz.jpg.1438de00650c57cd790b7cbd297c1c56.jpg

1980 - Jessa French, a British actress, producer and writer who played Cleo in S.06E.11 Gone.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-TuhC52GDSAV7VGKI.thumb.jpg.c8c2d057138a98e966cc5a2a44a128dd.jpg

1987 - Jeffrey Sharmat, an American actor who played Drowning Boy in S.04E.18 Where the Wild Things Are.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-csiQaNP8V9dqNM.thumb.jpg.bd92af00984fc09b2510dc34edf37d7b.jpg

19 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

So sorry to see Suzanne Krull passed a relatively-young age.  They didn't spot James Masters at the funeral home, by any chance, "having" a go at the corpse for old time's sake? (Kidding! JM is not Spike, after all.)

So strange to see the swings that Robia's career took in the '90s…from on tour with Prince (how did she dance with all that hair?), to on the beach with Brandon, to in the stacks with Giles.  If, presumably, young Mr. Walsh did what healthy Minnesota twins do with lovely ladies on their arms, that means that both Brandon and Giles have locked lips with both Robia and Emma.  Heh, now I'm imagining that double-date.  Does Brandon like Nescafé/Tasters Choice?  

I always think of Adam Busch's Law & Order episode ("Expert", with Vera Farmiga as the killer and Adam as a waiter/witness) as being closer to his time in Sunnydale.  It's really not; it's 1998 and Warren doesn't show until 2001.  Plenty of time to switch coasts and go Hollywood.

Never forget that Iyari Limón did so much "research" for her role as Kennedy, visiting lesbian bars and the like, that she started dating girls in real life and for a while she identified as lesbian herself, even giving an interview to The Advocate as such. (Her personal life took turns after that, though, including a child with an ex-boyfriend.)  Now that's dedication to one's craft!

I'd say her co-stars could learn a thing or two from her, but then we might really have had JM turning up at Suzanne Krull's funeral to give her one for the road.  So probably best if Iyari wasn't too "inspirational", after all.

Wonder if Alysson and Amber did the same? I like to think they did. If you've ever watched Terminator; The Sarah Connor Chronicles Adam plays a very Warren type role on it. 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:56 AM, lembergwatcher said:

July 6

1956 - Casey Sander, an American actor who portrayed Tony Harris in S.06E.16 Hell's Bells.

There's something slightly assholish about Sander's appearance, i.e. the right guy got the role of Poppa Harris. Although I can't help thinking Xander doesn't look like either Tony or Jessica. According to my theory Fez from That '70s Show was Xander's real daddy...

(edited)

I had honestly forgotten that Buffy's hairstylist gets a couple of lines in Gone.  Dammit, Jessa French is hot.  We need Buffy/Cleo slashfic, stat!

(You see, Cleo also does "private" appointments for grooming…"down there".  Buffy's never had a "Brazilian" before…can this make her "feel alive", at last?)

MV5BNzg3Njk4MTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAz

One page has a "would you rather?" asking us to choose between Jessa and Melina Kanakaredes.  Are they kidding?  I mean, I enjoy Melina as the villain on The Resident, but she's 10 years older and she never looked that nice, going back to Providence or even Guiding Light.  What a random choice to pair Jessa against.  Huh.

(Melina Kanakaredes is in CSI: Big Apple with Carmine D. Giovinazzo, Darla's First Victim Ever in WttH.)

(More Bufferation for The Resident:  Matt Czuchry was Christopher Gorham's best friend in the Jake 2.0 pilot, but David Greenwalt wrote him out [sent him to Alaska] in the 2nd episode.  [As with Moonlight, later on, Greenie was brought in as script doctor after the network bought the pilot.]  Emily Van Camp starred in Revenge, where her father was originally played by Marc Blucas…

…but he couldn't do the series after all, so the pilot was reshot with the part recast. Bruce Greenwood played D.A. Gil Garcetti [father of current Los Angeles mayor Eric] in American Crime Story:  The People v. OJ Simpson, with Christian Clemenson as Bill Hodgman, the prosecutor who had to drop off the team because of cardiac issues.  [I guess Hodgman could have used the StairMaster™ that Buffy wanted to buy for Balthazar…])

Edited by Halting Hex

I keep forgetting to catch Season 2 of Yellowstone (starring Gil Birmingham, Wes Bentley, some woman who can't act at all, and Kevin Costner).  Going to have to download the eps and binge, unless there's a marathon on the cards.

Rick Gonzalez (from last week) had a nothing part on the series, but later was a regular on Reaper, which was not shy about the Buffy references.  He met his meta down the road, it turned out.

• Love 1

July 14

1964 - Jane Espenson, an American writer and producer who wrote 22 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (seasons 3-7) and was the show's executive story editor throughout third season. Also the series' co-producer (season 4), producer (season 5), supervising producer (season 6) and co-executive producer (season 7).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Fq25Wv5b1dq12S.thumb.jpg.2cee9ec75ba571afb45eb028962ca944.jpg 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, lembergwatcher said:

July 14

1964 - Jane Espenson, an American writer and producer who wrote 22 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (seasons 3-7) and was the show's executive story editor throughout third season. Also the series' co-producer (season 4), producer (season 5), supervising producer (season 6) and co-executive producer (season 7).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Fq25Wv5b1dq12S.thumb.jpg.2cee9ec75ba571afb45eb028962ca944.jpg 

Ah., magic Jane (although I always get her and Marti mixed up)

One nice thing about this thread is that you do see how many actors of color the show hired during the post-HS years.  Mostly for forgettable minor roles (bar DB Woodside) but it's clear that Joss had become aware that it wasn't exactly a haven for the brothers in the 'Dale and casting was trying to remedy that.  Perhaps they erred by not having Buffy date Forrest or having Tara be Latina, but Buffy and Willow were both dating non-Caucasians by S7 (and Xander went on what he thought was a date with Lyssa), so I'd like to think some progress was being made.  But JMO.

Just realized that CC and my cat have the same birthday, coming up on Wednesday.  Odd, because I know both the birthdays well enough; I just rarely think of Charisma and Ziggy at the same time.  

Hope I don't get them mixed up on the day.  Trying to suck on Ziggy's honkers would just embarrass the both of us, I'm thinking.  

(CC might enjoy being petted, but she's not around here.  Too bad for her.  Okay, more for me, but still.)

July 20

1953 - Lee Garlington, an American actress, producer and director who portrayed Jessica Harris in S.06E.16 Hell's Bells.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-G9yDuzM7QE.thumb.jpg.39309c84cad4e6f52802c3d1f7ba2f95.jpg

1970 - Julie Michaels, an American stuntwoman, actress and producer who appeared in S.02E.07 Lie to Me and S.02E.09 What's My Line, Part 1.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-JBcsIIXQbWLf.thumb.jpg.5edcbd3d1821ccfccff34d53331b27f2.jpg

7 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

July 20

1953 - Lee Garlington, an American actress, producer and director who portrayed Jessica Harris in S.06E.16 Hell's Bells.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-G9yDuzM7QE.thumb.jpg.39309c84cad4e6f52802c3d1f7ba2f95.jpg

1970 - Julie Michaels, an American stuntwoman, actress and producer who appeared in S.02E.07 Lie to Me and S.02E.09 What's My Line, Part 1.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-JBcsIIXQbWLf.thumb.jpg.5edcbd3d1821ccfccff34d53331b27f2.jpg

Ah, so stunning in Jason Goes To Hell. Also now in Seal Team with DB

July 21

1966 - Jack Stehlin, an American actor, director and producer who portrayed Dr. Angelman in three eps of the fourth season (S.04E.13 The I in Team, S.04E.14 Goodbye Iowa, S.04E.21 Primeval).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-pHSH5DyDlJ.thumb.jpg.6808ec38d9527fcaca9000e3e2717038.jpg

1975 - Amy Chance, an American makeup artist and former actress who played Aphrodesia in S.01E.01 Welcome to the Hellmouth.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-kTLcfHbbSjwoGId.thumb.jpg.598661cd439f4997199024b9baba1137.jpg

One of my coworkers about 15 years ago (ye gods!) had Jack Stehlin as an acting coach.  Said he was a bit of a jerk.  So I'm never too upset to see Dr. Angleman get his.  (OTOH, she adored "Kenny" Lerner.  So I'm still sad for Flutie.)

Intriguing that all the Harrises (Sander, Gilborn, Garlington…heck, even Joey Hiott) were born within the same fortnight.  Maybe Xander shouldn't be the one throwing those "inbreeding" barbs about Wesley around, huh?