Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The Anamorata Consequence

Really enjoyed that little glimpse of Dean and Dr. Mrs. talk.

Man, I missed Shore Leave. That whole summit was just a classic Venture Bros plot I've missed very much from this show. I would so watch an episode starring Watch & Ward. I also liked Rusty laying down the hammer. He might not be a good father, but certainly a better one than Jonas.

Oh wow, wasn't expecting a H.E.L.P.e.R. origin story. Makes sense that everyone turned on them, we saw Dr. Z use an army of them against Jonas Venture. I love how this i what got Rhys Darby in this show, it was nice to see a H.E.L.P.e.R. with a personality. And did he imply that Rusty's a clone, too? 

Hank's dream of fighting the OSI agent & the Stranger was great, however brief that was. Dermot's doing pretty well for himself, kind of.

Oh shit, sudden revelation. The Peril Partnership, eh? Have we heard of that, before?

Next week: St. Cloud is back...and he's a protag now?! Wow, of course Monarch's skeeved out by him. #VentureBros 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Saw this a few hours ago. I'm willing to bet some will see this as the weakest episode in this season thus far. It's still kickass, though . . . if you happen to overlook that a crucial summit can be presided and settled by one Dr. Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture.. If he's the adult in the room, they're all fucked. And the whole "get something and brag about it or get nothing and cry" spiel? Oddly awesome. Didn't think the old fraud had it in him.

Seriously, Dermott becoming an OSI troop makes more sense. I'm guessing maybe Rusty put in a word for him. Brighter note: Hank is still delightfully insane. "Hank's the name! Venture's the game! Which also happens to be my name!" BTW, did Dominique Dawes voice her forever-19-year-old self?

I think we need a Dean plot where it doesn't feel like he's getting his soul kicked. I mean, this was better than last week, but maybe he should have a Hank-style story, with not as much depth. HELPeR Red was also pretty cool. So why do I feel he'll turn evil one day?

50 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Oh shit, sudden revelation. The Peril Partnership, eh? Have we heard of that, before?

I think "Any Which Way But Zeus." There's the big emergency summit, and I think the shark guy was from there. You know, the one that lunged at Brock, came up woefully short, and got slammed into the table.

Next week: Monarch and Gary meet St. Cloud. What have those two poor bastards done to deserve that?!?

ETA: This week's shirt from Astrobase Go. Just curious: does anyone try to watch the episode and guess what bit of minutia makes that week's shirt? Not me, but I can imagine fans doing that.

ETA2: First, AV Club gave this episode an A-minus, meaning I don't much about how reviewers will react. Secondly . . . .I KNOW HOW TO SPELL. The typos are still distressing, though. "Hank is . . . inane"? That's an adjective that doesn't apply to him!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Nice to see the Red H.E.L.P.e.R. is just as neurotic as the original flavor.

I just about busted a gut at the pile of jackets left over from making Shallow Gravy's "Jacket" video.

And now we know where Dr. Z got his H.E.L.P.e.R. army; off the shelf. Probably from whatever passes for Radio Shack™ in the Venture world.

I was hoping things would work out for S-464 and Agent McManus.

19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And did he imply that Rusty's a clone, too?

Yes. Yes he did. Which opens up a slew of questions and plot possibilities. For example: Of whom might he be a clone? A kid named Rusty, or of Jonas himself? And does that also make J.J. a clone? Did Rusty turn out "wrong" because there was another clone lodged inside him?

2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

HELPeR Red was also pretty cool. So why do I feel he'll turn evil on day?

Well, when you have one character that's blue and one that's red, the red one is usually evil.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Saw this a few hours ago. I'm willing to bet some will see this as the weakest episode in this season thus far. It's still kickass, though . . . if you happen to overlook that a crucial summit can be presided and settled by one Dr. Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture.. If he's the adult in the room, they're all fucked. And the whole "get something and brag about it or get nothing and cry" spiel? Odly awesome. Didn't think the old fraud had it in him.

Seriously, Dermott becoming an OSI troop makes more sense. I'm guessing maybe Rusty put in a word for him. Brighter note: Hank is still delightfully inane. "Hank's the name! Venture's the game! Which also happens to be my name!" BTW, did Dominique Dawes voice her forever-19-years-old self?

I loved this one. Sure, it wasn't as amazing as the Morphic trilogy, but like I said, it felt like an old-school Venture Bros episode where everyone is just bickering and stroking their own egos.

I'm pretty sure that was Sirena's VO as Dominique Dawes. I need to see the credits again.

And I agree, Dean needs a win, but it seems that he can't escape Rusty's shadow like Rusty couldn't escape Jonas's, but they both seem to be becoming better people than their father.

3 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

And now we know where Dr. Z got his H.E.L.P.e.R. army; off the shelf. Probably from whatever passes for Radio Shack™ in the Venture world.

Knowing this show, most likely Radio Shack.

3 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Yes. Yes he did. Which opens up a slew of questions and plot possibilities. For example: Of whom might he be a clone? A kid named Rusty, or of Jonas himself? And does that also make J.J. a clone? Did Rusty turn out "wrong" because there was another clone lodged inside him?

Note that we know NOTHING about Rusty's mom. Rusty being a clones himself is certainly a possibility. Jonas was never seen with a wife, nor even a mention of one.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I loved this one. Sure, it wasn't as amazing as the Morphic trilogy, but like I said, it felt like an old-school Venture Bros episode where everyone is just bickering and stroking their own egos.

I'm pretty sure that was Sirena's VO as Dominique Dawes. I need to see the credits again.

And I agree, Dean needs a win, but it seems that he can't escape Rusty's shadow like Rusty couldn't escape Jonas's, but they both seem to be becoming better people than their father.

Knowing this show, most likely Radio Shack.

Note that we know NOTHING about Rusty's mom. Rusty being a clones himself is certainly a possibility. Jonas was never seen with a wife, nor even a mention of one.

Why am I both surprised and yet not surprised Rusty might have be a clone,With all the crazy stuff that happen to him as a kid it kind of makes sense that some would happen to him as a kid.

I could have sworn that Dermot called Doctor Venture Dad in front of Dean and Hank so why does Hank think that Dermot's dad is special ops or black ops.

Why is Monarch and Gary arching St. Cloud last we saw them he was arching Billy and Pete.

Gailileo908 I think your right about the mom Venture thing because wondering who his mother is.

When red Helper was showing the newspaper what was the story about Jonas saving a woman in the arctic or some else cold because I feel like that will become important in the future. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, supernatural666 said:

Why is Monarch and Gary arching St. Cloud last we saw them he was arching Billy and Pete.

Maybe he's already tired of villainy, so he'll try being a good guy for a few weeks. He strikes me as someone who throws enough money at a new hobby to "win" it almost immediately, then gets bored with it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Maybe he's already tired of villainy, so he'll try being a good guy for a few weeks. He strikes me as someone who throws enough money at a new hobby to "win" it almost immediately, then gets bored with it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he only joined the Guild just to arch Billy. He defeated him, so naturally he must've moved on to be arched himself to have something to do.

19 hours ago, supernatural666 said:

When red Helper was showing the newspaper what was the story about Jonas saving a woman in the arctic or some else cold because I feel like that will become important in the future. 

There's supposed to be an episode later on where they go to what looks like the Arctic. Maybe we'll find her? 

Interesting to know that Jonas most likely went back to going on adventures after all the various bad press, and obviously that rescue put him back in good graces. And note that the story didn't hide Jonas's womanizing ways at all. He was willing to screw a seal if it had legs.

19 hours ago, supernatural666 said:

Why am I both surprised and yet not surprised Rusty might have be a clone,With all the crazy stuff that happen to him as a kid it kind of makes sense that some would happen to him as a kid.

Some more proof to support the theory:

-In "Now Museum, Now You Don't," Jonas is asked what his greatest invention his. He answers "my son."
-In the Halloween episode, Ben mentions that Dean doesn't have "Fetiform tetranoma" aka a parasitic twin. Same goes about mentioning baldness. I remember Rusty accusing JJ of being the reason he's bald.
-Note that when we first see JJ, he looks EXACTLY like Jonas. He could've been the perfect clone, but Rusty ate him before he developed. Rusty was either a slug, or a giant walking recessive gene.

And some of my theories:
-Roy Brisby mentioned that Jonas dabbled in cloning, but never cracked it. Maybe he did, and Rusty was the result.
-In Rusty's dreams about eating JJ in the womb, perhaps that was a clone tank instead?
-It does explain how the timeline doesn't match up to Rusty and Monarch being roughly the same age. OG Rusty could've died, then was cloned right around the same time Monarch was born. 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

The Peril Partnership, eh? Have we heard of that, before?

I believe they're the Canadian version, eh? of either the OSI or the League; since the mole is in with the bad guys, I'm guessing the latter.

So many fascinating possibilities about Rusty and his orgins! Clone? Mom was Arctic gal? Six of one half a dozen of the other?

The show's fascination with copies and do-overs was really up front and center this episode, with the cloning speculations, HELPeR's orgin story, the Second Summit, and so on. I think the point is that as much as these groups of people are invested, heart and soul, into gigantic leaps of technology and operatic aria trilogies about their desires and needs, actual, real improvement happens a little at a time (Dean, better than Rusty, better than Jonas) and in spite of all their efforts, not because of them.

I really liked this episode.  It's kind of nice for Rusty to get a win for once.  He might not have been a great dad but he cared enough and that shined through here. 

The Peril Parnership was first mentioned in season 2 when Dr Orpheus was getting an arch.  It was mentioned in the intro video.  It showed how the Guild had the highest share of villains and the PP having the least.  See http://venturebrothers.wikia.com/wiki/File:Guild3.jpg

Also, they were mentioned in the Zeus episode, Tiger Shark was their representative for the meeting of the 5 guilds. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Maybe [St.Cloud is] already tired of villainy, so he'll try being a good guy for a few weeks. He strikes me as someone who throws enough money at a new hobby to "win" it almost immediately, then gets bored with it.

There was an episode description for next week.

Spoiler

Apparently, Monarch and 21 will be training "an inexperienced villain." I'm guessing that's ol' Truman Ca-blow-me. Seriously, I get that those two killed Guild members and got away with it, but they don't deserve St. Cloud.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2018 at 11:14 PM, Sandman87 said:
On 9/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, Galileo908 said:

And did he imply that Rusty's a clone, too?

I didn't have a problem with the summit because we were running around a lot with the multiple Blue Morphos and I could use the pause. I can barely follow what's going on. This was the best part though. Does Rusty know he's a clone? 

I did enjoy Dr. Mrs. The Monarch insist on the use of gendered pronouns and everyone arguing about using good guys v bad guys.