Type keyword(s) to search

Poppy Field Movies: Once Is Not Enough!

• Start Topic

I love the scene at the end when Peter is showing Billy the video of the stocky young player who decides to go for second base for the first time in his life, only to fall down as he rounds first. Then he finds out that he had hit the ball 50 feet over the fence!!

Edited by Sharpie66

Singin' in the Rain.  If I had any ability to dance at all, I could do all the choreography, not to mention I can recite practically all the dialogue. 

"People!  I ain't people! I am a - "a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament." 

"I make more money than Calvin Coolidge - put togither!" 

"You're a French aristocrat, she's a simple girl of the people, and she won't even give you a tumbrel." 

One of the greatest scripts ever written.

• Love 3

Sometimes I will watch a movie I haven't seen in decades because after more 'life experiences' sometimes the movie changes for me.  I saw it most dramatically with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Completely different movie when I was a kid and when I saw it as an adult (especially after I had kids). 

Not quite as dramatic was Private Benjamin, when the first time I saw the movie was high school, brought up in my nice Christian, waspy neighborhood.  I saw it again in my last year of college, after I had became friends with a lot of Jewish young women and the movie was suddenly twice as funny as I got a lot more of the "Jewish jokes".

I wonder if my kids will feel a bit the same if/when they watch as an adult some of the more recent Disney/Pixar movies that while geared towards kids, have a lot of adult references that I know they aren't getting, but I enjoy immensely.

• Love 1

Sometimes I will watch a movie I haven't seen in decades because after more 'life experiences' sometimes the movie changes for me.  I saw it most dramatically with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Completely different movie when I was a kid and when I saw it as an adult (especially after I had kids).

I had a completely different experience watching ET as an adult than as I child.  For one, as a child I was so angry at the government because of what they were doing to ET and wasn't thrilled with the mother for pulling her kids away and leaving him there to die.  As a parent, though, I kind of understand her and their reactions.  Another thing was that as a kid, I cried because their friend was dying.  As parent, I cried more on behalf of the kids and the anguish they felt and how they didn't understand why everyone was so scared and reacting the way they were.

• Love 1

Sometimes I will watch a movie I haven't seen in decades because after more 'life experiences' sometimes the movie changes for me. I saw it most dramatically with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Completely different movie when I was a kid and when I saw it as an adult (especially after I had kids).

Not quite as dramatic was Private Benjamin, when the first time I saw the movie was high school, brought up in my nice Christian, waspy neighborhood. I saw it again in my last year of college, after I had became friends with a lot of Jewish young women and the movie was suddenly twice as funny as I got a lot more of the "Jewish jokes".

I wonder if my kids will feel a bit the same if/when they watch as an adult some of the more recent Disney/Pixar movies that while geared towards kids, have a lot of adult references that I know they aren't getting, but I enjoy immensely.

This is what happened to me after I saw both Cluless and The Brady Bunch movie as an 8 year old, and then again later when I was in high school. The amount of jokes I got blew my mind.

Same thing when I watched Grease. My parents let me watch it as a kid, and recently I asked my mom why, and her response was "Well, we figured you wouldn't get it, so we thought we'd just go with it". I mean, she was right, but it still cracks me up that that my parents let 8 year old me happily sing along to Greased Lightening.

Same thing when I watched Grease. My parents let me watch it as a kid, and recently I asked my mom why, and her response was "Well, we figured you wouldn't get it, so we thought we'd just go with it". I mean, she was right, but it still cracks me up that that my parents let 8 year old me happily sing along to Greased Lightening.

That was my mom's reasoning too, for the same movie. She would make sure to skip the pregnancy scare scenes but was fine letting me watch the rest of the movie...although that proved to be a problem once 4 year old me started singing "look at me, I'm Sandra Dee. Lousy with virginity". Had no idea what I was singing, but still, oops.

A lot of my other movies have already been mentioned, but Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Remember the Titans, Ferris Bueller, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The First Wives Club, The Birdcage, most Disney movies, and so many more.

I am taking notes: I must look up Remember the Titans and finally make time for Seabiscuit.

I was very happy to see Apollo 13 mentioned upthread.  I will drop everything for that movie, no matter how late it is or how much longer it has to go.

I feel stupid for how many times I've watched When Harry Met Sally - can't help it though.  There's no convenient time to change the channel.  Same for Legally Blond.  If Bull Durham is ever on, I'm melted butter on toast.  I also will always watch Speed, The Matrix, Terminator 2, and Strictly Ballroom.  (How's that for a change of pace?)  

I haven't seen it in years, but it used to come on a lot when I was a kid:  That's Entertainment.  It might be the one movie I'd take with me to a deserted island.

• Love 1

More to add to my list:

CA: Winter Soldier

Thor II

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

I love all of the Marvel movies, but these 5 can keep me awake when I'm exhausted and would otherwise fall asleep before the show was over.

Edited because I've apparently forgotten how to count  :)

Edited by Shannon L.

"Starship Troopers" is a perennial favorite. If I'm channel surfing and it's on, I stop and watch.

"Wizard of Oz" -- no matter how many times I've seen it, I know there will be one time that Dorothy doesn't make it out of the room before the hourglass runs out.

More to add to my list:

CA: Winter Soldier

Thor II

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

I love all of the Marvel movies, but these 4 can keep me awake when I'm exhausted and would otherwise fall asleep before the show was over.

Isn't that FIVE movies?

;-)

I'll add Awakenings to my list.  It just popped up on Amazon Prime, and I watched it again for the umpteenth time.  Robin Williams has the most touching scene of his career in this movie --- his face when he finds Robert De Niro's character in the empty common area never fails to move me.

• Love 1

I've been making more of an effort to give movies a second pass lately. When renting On Demand, I'll try to get a second viewing in before the rental expires. I have my movie channels and will make a conscious effort to re-watch a movie. Netflix obviously helps too. And if I particularly liked a movie I saw in theaters, I have gone back to watch it a second time, though that can be an expensive proposition (Matinee Days are key!)

The second (or third or more-th) pass is a different watch. You don't need to focus as much energy on understanding the plot and can instead focus on things like themes and allegory. You get more of an understanding of character motivation. I often find it improves a movie for me, though it can certainly have the opposite effect. That usually occurs when the movie is relying solely on its whammy, or you realize a great movie in the Theater doesn't hold up on a smaller screen (cough, Gravity in Imax 3D, cough).

It's got me thinking though. Do professional reviewers watch films twice? I'd think once to get the experience, and once to take notes would really give you a sense of that. But it would take a lot of time!

Terminators 1 and 2, Blade Runner, Clueless, Labyrinth, Pitch Black.

Open Water is on right now and I always watch it. (I love sharks and will watch any movie about them, tbh; Deep Blue Sea, The Shallows, I fully intend to see the one with Mandy Moore.) I mean, yeah, the sharks would not have stayed away from someone with a bite; the smell alone would've gotten her leg ripped off. But I like that the movie doesn't occur over the course of one day like most sharks movies. Instead they're stuck out in the ocean overnight, no light whatsoever, in a storm. And I'm glad it ended the way it did.