Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: The Venture Bros. & The Curse of the Haunted Problem

They're baaaaaaaaaaccck.

The Venture headquarters is either possessed, just regular haunted, or suffering from a computer glitch. Dr. Orpheus and the Order of the Triad are called upon to unlock the mystery.

And here's a tease posted in June:

So good to see this back again!

"Two Years Ago." I see what you did there. Nice to see a callback to the Gargantua-1. And the original Scamp! 

"Residual nanobots" being said so casually is so Rusty. 

I love that Princess Tinyfeet's father was a crimefighter named "Chief Justice."

The Triad was missed. Seriously, when was the last time they've been in the show? All This And Gargantua-2 was in 2015. Two movies with Doctor Strange were made since the last time Orpheus was on the show.

So the Problem...HOLY SHIT. And that's saying something after everything this show's tossed at us.

Next time: The Guild! And we see 

Spoiler

The fallout of unmasking the Blue Morpho.

This is gonna be good.

I never  actually stopped liking this show, but I am still surprised at how back into it I am. The later seasons were entertaining, but I just didn't feel like I was in a continuing story any more, because every season the writers seemed more interested in adding more new stuff than actually developing what they'd already started. Even at the very beginning, the characters were mostly "pinball protagonists," who just reacted to whatever was going on around them instead of really defining their own arcs, but the writing itself followed a strong narrative outline, so I felt that the big questions were eventually going to be answered. In the latter half of the series, I'd lost faith in that. Happy to be wrong.

• Love 2

I love that Princess Tinyfeet's father was a crimefighter named "Chief Justice.

My husband shrieked with joy at that--I always miss half the damn lines because he's excitedly babbling about what's going on.

So is Hatred still married to Tinyfeet? Like, is she there in New York? Does he have an apartment in the building?

Nice to see Dean being somewhat integrated back into things--he really felt kind of abandoned last season--and that Hank is the kind of good crazy boyfriend Sirena can get cozy with. And what the hell is with Rocco? Usually perving on your boss's nubile teen daughter gets you a pair of cement overshoes, and it's not like she's shy about complaining. 

HOLY MOTHER OF CRAP, PROBLEM! That was genuinely unnerving, and that's this show I'm saying that about. After all they've done to establish that Jonas Sr. was both the worst villain of them all and quite probably fathered Monarch, where the hell are they zigzagging off to this time? I hope this doesn't fold in on itself too much like the Orb thing.

• Love 1

Hopefully the Triad stick around. If New York is full of Blaculas, even Jefferson Twilight will have something to do. 

So.. did Colonel Gentleman adopt Hitler? I'm not sure it's the same dog.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

I’ve been almost completely unspoiled for this season.  I only saw one teaser (the magic circle one), and I’ve been staying away from all chatter.

My opinion?  So far, so good.  My big wish is that they keep the story big, and end huge.  If we don’t get another season until 2021, I want this one to fucking count.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

So.. did Colonel Gentleman adopt Hitler? I'm not sure it's the same dog.

Completely different dog. If I remember, Hitler Dog looked like a pit bull.

15 hours ago, Snookums said:

So is Hatred still married to Tinyfeet? Like, is she there in New York? Does he have an apartment in the building?

They divorced quite a while ago, got back together then broke up again in Operation PROM.

• Love 1

Fan: Okay, seventh season! I am ready for anything.

Show: Anything?

Fan: ANYTHING!!!!!!

Show: Cool. So, you remember the first season, with the part of Gargantua-1 having the blinking "PROBLEM" sign, and Rusty had to correct it?

Fan: Yeaaaaaaaah . .  .

Show: Jonas Venture is in there, and he's still alive.

Fan: [nether regions explode]

Great to have the series back. There should be a rotation where we only get 3-4 months out of the year with no TVB and Rick and Morty. Those are the top two all-time Adult Swim shows, at least for me.

Great to have the Triad gang back, and Dr. Orpheus electing to go astral, as Jefferson and Al carry his body. Nice twist that the place wasn't haunted-haunted . . . just a massive fuckup with Jonas Sr. And the gang wouldn't have figured it out if Billy didn't blurt out the name of the song from Sharkey's Machine to the old-timers. BTW, is it weird that we see a Burt Reynolds movie is referenced, and it wasn't by Archer? Also, does anybody want to figure out when older brother Dermont drops in?

Hank's plot was also fun. Had to read the review on AV Club to grasp the irony of the cliffhanger: Hank is posing as a villain (the one with the hank of rope, natch) in order to get close to Sirena, and her father order him to kill Blue Morpho . . . the villain posing as a hero. Very clever. I heard this episode and the next was supposed to be a one-hour block. Should be fun to see how Monarch's dumb ass got in that chair. And while I'm sure Gary/Kano is alie, he probably isn't in good shape.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

And while I'm sure Gary/Kano is alie, he probably isn't in good shape.

I'm pretty sure I saw Gary in the promo for next week.

And I knew there was a reason we saw the real Kano this week, he's gonna be important for the next part and he'll probably finally break his vow of silence (again) to tell the whole story of what happened to the original Blue Morpho.

• Love 3

I never know what is going on with this show, since it's on once every decade. It's entertaining, and I love the characters, but I barely remember. I suppose it's ok, but I know I'm missing the larger picture. 

I do enjoy all the bickering. 

I died when they were all freaking out about the Helper robot and Rusty just pushed the button to shut him off. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Question: the bit where Wale is waving the gun in the dark, shouting for Blue Morpho to come out. Turns out it's Hank, and Wale had Morpho (Morpharch?) tied up already. I don't get that. Maybe for show?

New thought: is it possible that was actually Jonas talking to Rusty on Gargantua-1, and not a pill-induced hallucination?

There was one April Fools Day when [AS] ran least favorite episodes as determined by their series’ creators. How funny would it be if Jackson and Doc decided it would be a relevant-in-hindsight episode?

”Chief Justice” is an awesome concept. Too awesome for it to make it on the show.

• Love 1

I'm glad the show is back, but I have mixed feelings about the season so far. The revelation about PROBLEM (which blew my mind) seemed like a retcon that was cooked up last year as a way to include the original Team Venture and the Triad this season.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, Lantern7 said:

Question: the bit where Wale is waving the gun in the dark, shouting for Blue Morpho to come out. Turns out it's Hank, and Wale had Morpho (Morpharch?) tied up already. I don't get that. Maybe for show?

I immediately got the irony of Hank pretending to be a bad guy, but I couldn't help but think that White Wale was fucking with Hank.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Lantern7 said:

”Chief Justice” is an awesome concept. Too awesome for it to make it on the show.

OMFG! I immediately started thinking up ways to cosplay him!