Type keyword(s) to search

Back Stories

• Start Topic

They have to cut back on the back stories and devote more time to the runs.  I don't watch them and change the channel. I wanted to see the complete runs, from start to finish, of David Campbell, Nicolas Cooleridge, Adam Rayl, Josh Levin, Brian Rambo, Derek Miyamoto, Flip Rodriguez, Spencer Clapp  and Sean Bryan.  

We didn't see David Campbell until he was on the Spider Climb.  Nicolas Cooleridge was on the Baton Pass when we first  see his run.  Adam Rayl almost fell from the Giant Cubes when coverage of his run begins.

NBC has been showing just partial runs of ANW veterans the past few seasons.  It seems the editors emphasize the back stories instead of the actual physical challenges.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, BullDurham said:

They have to cut back on the back stories and devote more time to the runs.  I don't watch them and change the channel. I wanted to see the complete runs, from start to finish, of David Campbell, Nicolas Cooleridge, Adam Rayl, Josh Levin, Brian Rambo, Derek Miyamoto, Flip Rodriguez, Spencer Clapp  and Sean Bryan.  

We didn't see David Campbell until he was on the Spider Climb.  Nicolas Cooleridge was on the Baton Pass when we first  see his run.  Adam Rayl almost fell from the Giant Cubes when coverage of his run begins.

NBC has been showing just partial runs of ANW veterans the past few seasons.  It seems the editors emphasize the back stories instead of the actual physical challenges.  

Agree.

They show the sob stories. I was visiting my sister and BIL (and my brand new niece) a couple of weeks ago, and we were watching ANW.  He’s really into fitness, and even looked up where the closest Ninja gym was to him.  We joked, though, that he would be a WWWA, since he’s just a guy in his 30’s with two kids and a job at a large corporation in FL.  No sob story at all. (We were even trying to come up with some sorrow angle he could use. ?)

• Love 1

Irisheyes,

Your BIL could adopt some orphaned animals with disabilities. (I was going to suggest flatulent emus that had to be walked four times a day or they'd get constipated, but that's too easy.) Deaf dachshunds with hip displasia (point for alliteration) and he custom fits wheels for their hindquarters, with (again custom fit) bags to catch their doo-doo. (somehow work in doo-doo dumpettes for deaf displasiatic dachshunds.)

Now if his name were only Dave Davis and he works at a Dynamo production company.

• Love 4
On 7/18/2018 at 12:05 AM, enoughcats said:

Irisheyes,

Your BIL could adopt some orphaned animals with disabilities. (I was going to suggest flatulent emus that had to be walked four times a day or they'd get constipated, but that's too easy.) Deaf dachshunds with hip displasia (point for alliteration) and he custom fits wheels for their hindquarters, with (again custom fit) bags to catch their doo-doo. (somehow work in doo-doo dumpettes for deaf displasiatic dachshunds.)

Now if his name were only Dave Davis and he works at a Dynamo production company.

They do have two rescue dogs (including one that needed major surgery on his hind legs and one that is neurotic). Is that good enough?

• Love 1

While I don't like the back stories for people who fail super early, what really bugs me are the ninjas who stop and wave and point and send kisses out to their family/fans after every obstacle.  And then the camera shows the family/fans waving/smiling/kissing back.  Waste of time!!!!!  I wish the editors of the show would edit out that to maybe one significant obstacle.  Could save a minute or more per ninja and show more actual competition.

• Love 5
On 7/30/2018 at 7:25 PM, irisheyes said:

They do have two rescue dogs (including one that needed major surgery on his hind legs and one that is neurotic). Is that good enough?

Only if they had to sell their house and live in their car to pay for the dog surgeries. Then he'd be golden. And he could still fall on the first obstacle but his back story would be long and glorious.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:17 PM, craziness said:

While I don't like the back stories for people who fail super early, what really bugs me are the ninjas who stop and wave and point and send kisses out to their family/fans after every obstacle.  And then the camera shows the family/fans waving/smiling/kissing back.  Waste of time!!!!!

Oh, no kidding. I'm so glad you brought this up. If they would edit out all that junk, we could actually maybe see some full successful runs. It's like all the newbies have to be showboaters. I wonder if the show tells them to ham it up. (You know ... to irritate viewers.)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:
On 6/7/2019 at 8:17 PM, craziness said:

While I don't like the back stories for people who fail super early, what really bugs me are the ninjas who stop and wave and point and send kisses out to their family/fans after every obstacle.  And then the camera shows the family/fans waving/smiling/kissing back.  Waste of time!!!!!

Oh, no kidding. I'm so glad you brought this up. If they would edit out all that junk, we could actually maybe see some full successful runs. It's like all the newbies have to be showboaters. I wonder if the show tells them to ham it up. (You know ... to irritate viewers.)

I look at it as "everybody gets a sticker" which I loathe.  

If I had the mind, I'd create an AI laser and (after it takes out the NFL celebrations for players doing the job they are paid to) it would take every heart that shows up directed at someone, every "i see u" sign and every blown kiss.  

I guess the competition has to be in front of an audience, but maybe if the competitors were blindfolded  or maybe blinkers would work. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, enoughcats said:

IT'S SO ANNOYING! I always want to yell at my TV "JUST GO, YOU'RE WASTING TIME!" Our time and your own time! I get that if you're doing well you maybe want to celebrate a little, but it's really just eating away precious seconds. 

I'm not the least bit interested in the sob stories, either. I want to see people run the course. That's it. I do watch the backstory bits if it's a competitor I really like, but otherwise I FF them relentlessly. The "human interest" aspect is, I mean, I guess it's kinda nice, I mean yeah… but I'd still rather watch complete runs and people we don't get to see. 

(Although... if it's a sob story involving animals - like last week -, I'm fine with it. Just don't care about humans, really. 😄

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 2

I don't mind stories about the regulars we "know" or about newcomers who turn out to be contenders but, as already said, I hate the back stories about people who don't even do well enough to make it to the next level.  If they come back next season and do well, tell their story then.

I do not care if someone is a Mom.  I have kids.  A very large percentage of adult females everywhere in the world are "moms."  It doesn't make you special.  

It's very annoying to watch a long story about someone who falls too soon to go on and then see that someone else made it to the buzzer WWWA.  

• Love 3