Type keyword(s) to search

1776 (1972)

• Start Topic

Before Hamilton featured singing forefathers of America, there was this beloved musical (certainly here, I've observed)!! So let's discuss the musical that features a pre-Knight Rider/Boy Meets World William Daniels as John Adams (because why should Paul Giamatti have all the fun?)!

• Love 4
(edited)

Yay!

This really was pre-Hamilton Hamilton. Maybe the music wasn't as good but the cast was great and Ben Franklin was freaking hilarious.

And Mr. Feeny -- er John Adams' digs about Congress were spot on.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I have a soft spot for this one. Campy historical fun! And I think it was written by history teachers so it is fairly historical accurate, except for TJ getting writer's block yearning for Martha.

I also liked how they did the letters between John and Abigail, who are my favorite historical couple.

• Love 4
(edited)

Salt peter,

John  

Pins,

Abigail

The ending always gets me.  Cesar's return, Judge Wilson's "my vote is 'yay'" and the signing with the bell tolling in the background.  And I always loved the way the secretary comes to realization that the proposal was adopted when tallying the votes.  Great line reading.   I've never seen the show but I watch this movie at least once a year, usually around this time.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 10

I had seen a touring version of this when I was in college and the acoustics were abysmal. It was so good to enjoy it with subtitles.  Abigail is really good when I can read her words for clarity.

There was an episode of St. Elsewhere in which William Daniels’ character and his wife go to Philly for a medical conference, and the writer sprinkled 1776 quotes throughout. He says that it’s hot as hell in Philadelphia, then talks about how he is considered by his fellow doctors back in Boston to be obnoxious and disliked. 

I grew up watching 1776 in early July on my local tv station (this was pre-cable or VCRs) and loved it. Between this and PBS showing The Adams Chronicles, John Adams became my favorite historical figure and Abigail my fave First Lady. Then I learned about the Alien and Sedition Act, which tarnished John imo. I do have the collection of their letters called My Dearest Friend, which is just wonderful. 

I wish I had seen a local production several years ago, which was a concert presentation with gender neutral casting, a female John and male Abigail. 

• Love 4

Actually, Hamilton didn’t become his aide de camp until 1777. One of Washington’s lines was used in both plays, though—“Are these the men with whom I am meant to defend America?!?” or something like that. 

Hamilton: The Podcast has two episodes on 1776, btw. Sit Down, John! covers Act 1, and Don’t Miss Your Chance to Commit Treason! covers Act 2. Really good show, too!

• Love 1
On 7/9/2018 at 12:18 AM, Sharpie66 said:

Between this and PBS showing The Adams Chronicles, John Adams became my favorite historical figure and Abigail my fave First Lady. Then I learned about the Alien and Sedition Act, which tarnished John imo. I do have the collection of their letters called My Dearest Friend, which is just wonderful. 

You will be happy to know that despite the Alien and Sedition Acts, John Adams was named winner of the Founding Fathers Faceoff!  I need to read My Dearest Friend btw.

https://prologue.blogs.archives.gov/2018/06/22/founding-fathers-face-off-for-the-fourth-of-july/

Does anyone else love the moment in the play when Lewis Morris decides to sign the DOI despite New York's constant abstentions and learning his sons enlisted?

• Love 3