Type keyword(s) to search

S02.09 What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are

I liked this, although I felt that it almost went too dark overall -- poor Cole.

Was anyone else distracted by how much the actress cast as Miss Stacy looks like Anne? I mean, to a really remarkable degree? For the first few minutes she was onscreen, I actually thought she WAS Anne (literally until she passed her on the road).

I hope Cole and Anne reconcile soon -- I hate them being estranged, especially when Anne did nothing wrong.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, paramitch said:

Was anyone else distracted by how much the actress cast as Miss Stacy looks like Anne? I mean, to a really remarkable degree? For the first few minutes she was onscreen, I actually thought she WAS Anne (literally until she passed her on the road).

I know! She IS Anne in 10 years. Her whole “I was just decorating my new home. It’s amazing what you can do with potatoes!” line was totally something Anne would say.

• Love 8

I'm not sure I liked that Miss Stacey was basically a grown-up Anne, with the non-stop chattering and getting into scrapes.  Miss Stacey was supposed to be a role model, but she can't even be punctual for a job interview?  Why would the "progressive mothers" have so much power to choose her over the other candidates? 

I did like the electricity lesson with Marilla watching, though.  

This episode was hard to watch because Anne was acting like a total brat.  Was she supposed to be that insensitive to blather about what happened to Prissy in front of the whole class?  I'm not sure why Miss Stacey asked her to repeat what she said to the class, or why she didn't shut Anne down right away.  The writers were framing this as Anne needed to be liked, but it didn't feel natural.  The sudden antagonism towards Gilbert for accelerating his studies felt contrived as well.   Her interjections at the school were obnoxious.  

It was sad to see Anne's hideaway and the statues be destroyed.  And to think it was partly because Anne left food for the fox so the boys followed the fox there.  The fight between Anne and Cole was well done, though there was a lot of misunderstandings to go around.

In the other subplot, Gilbert also came off like a jerk for abandoning the plan to teach Sebastian how to farm (we haven't actually seen Gilbert farming, but he's supposed to be knowledgeable?).  I don't know why it took them that long to reveal that Gilbert and Sebastian were planning to spend 2 years getting the farm back up and running.  The budding romance was nice, but it didn't feel like the same show.

It was a nice shout-out to the book to have Rachel Lynde knitting by the window and watching who drove by.  

Overall, everything just felt too over-dramatic, and a lot of the main characters were too unlikeable for this episode to be enjoyable.  I'm afraid that Cole will get into a lot of trouble for Billy Andrews getting injured.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
On ‎27‎.‎8‎.‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Camera One said:

It was sad to see Anne's hideaway and the statues be destroyed.  And to think it was partly because Anne left food for the fox so the boys followed the fox there.  

That was a reason why Billy and other found the fox. But that's not why Billy shot the statues and destroyed Anne's hideaway. He did because he is a badass who likes to hurt others. He especially hates Anne and Cole who are "different" - but also gifted.  

• Love 2

I think "ass" is the word here, not "badass", just "ass", or "jackass" if you want a more fancy choice of words. Heh.

Team Cole all the way in the Cole vs Billy fight. No sympathy for that jackass Billy. He had it coming. Until this episode, Billy never did get any comeuppance for messing up Cole's hand so that he can't draw anymore, did he?

Douchenozzles who revel in causing destruction are the reason we can't have nice things.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Bec said:

Until this episode, Billy never did get any comeuppance for messing up Cole's hand so that he can't draw anymore, did he?

He definitely didn't get any comeuppance for that.  Knocking over the ladder was mean-spirited and borderline criminal.  His parents should have been spoken to.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

It took until this episode for this series to do what I never thought could happen to me. I don't like Anne. Not this Anne anyway. I'm sick of her shouting and interrupting and never thinking of anyone but herself. 

On 1/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, BetyBee said:

It took until this episode for this series to do what I never thought could happen to me. I don't like Anne. Not this Anne anyway. I'm sick of her shouting and interrupting and never thinking of anyone but herself. 

I don't think that Anne thinks only of herself. She feels compassion towards others and is eager to help them but because she speaks and acts without thinking first and has so little experience, she tends to do harm f.ex. by gossiping.