Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: We Have Not Long to Love 2018.06.20

As Vincent, Marcel and Josh work to clean up the city, an uprising of purist vampires leads the supernatural factions into a deadly showdown. Hope's attempt to bring her family back together leaves her struggling with the consequences. Finally, Freya makes a life-changing decision.

Promo:

Poor Declan. His girlfriend died and all he got was a voicemail saying that they'd already had the funeral. That's fucked up, man.

When Ivy referred to the nazi vampires as night walkers, I initially thought she called them white walkers as in Game of Thrones.

"A heart bigger than Ireland"? Really, writers?

Although I'm neutral on Freya/Keelin, I'm glad that someone in the Mikaelson family finally chose love over the dysfunctional and codependent always and forever (Kol doesn't really count since they didn't include him in that). Poor Keelin has been putting up with Freya's distracted long distance love for seven years so I'm glad that Freya finally realized that life is too short not to be with someone you love. It's about damn time!

As soon as Ivy said she was going to the cemetery to pray, I was like yup, she's about to get herself murdered. I guess now the only question is which witch is siding with the nazi night walker vampires.

LOVED that Josh pointed out to Marcel that his policy of banishing the werewolves to the bayou sucked before Emmett decided to bring it back. I'm also glad that Marcel realized and admitted that it was a shitty thing to do.

I was trying to figure out why Marcel didn't tell Klaus that the vampires were marching with the werewolves in the quarter. If there's one thing Klaus loves, it's violence for the sake of violence. He totally would have been down with killing some nazi vampires!

I was shaking my head when Klaus said that if violence is what Hope needs to quiet the voice in her head, she has the right father. She already has the violence thing down, Klaus. She doesn't need lessons on more gruesome ways to maim and murder.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was shaking my head when Klaus said that if violence is what Hope needs to quiet the voice in her head, she has the right father. She already has the violence thing down, Klaus. She doesn't need lessons on more gruesome ways to maim and murder.

I think Klaus was trying to say that he is unkillable, so Hope could be violent towards Klaus without having to worry about the consequences. But I watched every episode of this show (and TVD) so I wasn't entirely sure that he wasn't offering to teach her how to be violent.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I think Klaus was trying to say that he is unkillable, so Hope could be violent towards Klaus without having to worry about the consequences. But I watched every episode of this show (and TVD) so I wasn't entirely sure that he wasn't offering to teach her how to be violent.

Ha, okay, that makes more sense. I thought Klaus was planning to teach her all of his sadistic and violent ways of killing (and his fun trick of using the blood of his enemies in his paintings), but if he was offering to let her attack him to quiet the voices in her head then I'm totally down with that!

• Love 2

I get the drama of I but, while watching I couldn't help but wonder why Marcel didn't Flash Vincent to Ivy.

I'm really enjoying this season and liked this episode quite a bit. Teen Hope has grown on me, not enough to watch Legacies but, enough to enjoy these final episodes which I assume will focus on Hope/Hollow.

Happy to have confirmation that Bekah is coming back, I've always liked her.

The Mechanic/Elijah scene was interesting but, I wondered why Elijah didn't just tell him the truth from the beginning, since he could always completely him to forget. It's actually how I expected the evening scene to go.

Josh continues to be made of Win. I love that new grew up but didn't change. He's still the same sweet Vampire from S1. 

I don't know if it's Yusuf's delivery or the lines he's given but, I just love listening to everything he says. Wonderful character and actor.

I don't care about Freya' love life but I'm glad she chose her girlfriend over her family. I'm glad Lol did the same and Rebecca to an extent but it does seem that Elijah/Klaus are still stuck in dysfunction land.

ITA with Morrigan2575 re YG but ya'll may have known that already. LOL 

Am I the only person who thinks Elijah's compelling of Declan did not take? Not sure why, I guess this show and TVD has trained me to expect a new character that is somehow tied to a current SL or character, knows more than they let on, etc. 

I still don't care about Hope and I'm trying, I am, I only pay attention to her when Klaus is in the same scene. Also don't care about this new (to us) group of night walking vampires. Bor-ing.

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems to me that vampires without daylight rings would be pretty easy for the NO vamps, wolves, and witches to team up and kill. I mean, they're banning the wolves from the quarter during the day when they unable to enforce it, right? At least Marcel and his crew were out 24/7 back in the day. (And, that happened for decades but werewolf lady was a kid before that policy existed? How old WAS she? I mean, that was already 15 years ago in the show's timeline.)

16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

LOVED that Josh pointed out to Marcel that his policy of banishing the werewolves to the bayou sucked before Emmett decided to bring it back. I'm also glad that Marcel realized and admitted that it was a shitty thing to do.

Is that guy's name really Emmett? I kept thinking he reminded me of Kellan Lutz but didn't guess that was actually the character's name! (There is not enough left of this show for me to remember new names.)

Edited by Moxie Cat
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I get the drama of I but, while watching I couldn't help but wonder why Marcel didn't Flash Vincent to Ivy.

Or call Ivy on her cell phone which everybody has, or astral project himself over there in less than half the time it took to run there, or... as is almost always the case on this show there's solutions available but the writers don't let the characters do those things because it would screw up their "carefully" crafted plot.

Speaking of solutions to problems the characters don't take, I was wondering the whole time why Marcel didn't just waste all the Nazi Vamps during that first scene with them. He has more than enough justification by now and could've done so effortlessly, but, you know, plot. At least the second time they were all there it was an astral projection so he couldn't, but he had them by the balls before then.

4 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Am I the only person who thinks Elijah's compelling of Declan did not take? Not sure why, I guess this show and TVD has trained me to expect a new character that is somehow tied to a current SL or character, knows more than they let on, etc.

If it weren't for the fact that this is the last season I'd agree with you, the writers just love sticking in boring bog standard human characters that don't serve any purpose but to get in the way and either become a vampire and/or eventually die. Hell, they still might do that.

• Love 1

Maybe the witches don't have their phones during a ritual, but yeah, Vincent didn't even try. I thought the same.

We've seen the Mikaelsons (even just one of them) slaughter large groups of vamps at one pop, and heck, even Kol and Bex were there for awhile - taking care of the Nazi vamps should have been a no-brainer in this episode.

• Love 2

"A smile that could end a war" exaggerated and cheesy as hell but who wasn't picturing Hayley and Jackson's wedding?

Can we just acknowledge that the way Elijah deals with people might be differ from Klaus, it's not really any better. As long as the Cami's secret cousin 15 yrs later angle doesn't cause history to repeat, Declan being compelled feels right. Not only did Hayley's death diminish the supernaturals relevance to Declan's life, it's clearly what Hayley wanted. He may have been thinking marriage and sheay have cared possibly loved him but Hayley was clear that she wasn't considering revealing everything - he wasn't even on vervain
No desire to defend Elijah right now especially his relationship with Hayley but Declan's version of their story irked me. Hayley decided they had to be over and Elijah left for Hope and so Hayley could raise her. And regardless of the devastation it brought Elijah chose to forget his family so that he wouldn't endanger Hope trying to save Klaus.

Poor Vincent his luck might rival a Mikaelson's. And so unnecessary, seriously could Marcel or Josh or any vampire not be spared to run and warn Ivy? Or even a wolf

Klaus found the one scenario where he's the perfect father, it was a discerning mix of disturbing and comforting. I have to say I'm pleased Hope going through puberty wasn't the key to controlling The Hollow

Vampires and werewolves are natural enemies - universally accepted since s2 of TVD but just once before TO ends I would kill to have Klaus (or any Mikaelson really) point out that feud started over a Mikaelson death and infidelity and that a millennia later they're willing to die over Klaus Mikaelson's paternity. Honestly 4 episodes left and this makes the list of what I really want to see

On 6/21/2018 at 4:57 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although I'm neutral on Freya/Keelin, I'm glad that someone in the Mikaelson family finally chose love over the dysfunctional and codependent always and forever (Kol doesn't really count since they didn't include him in that). Poor Keelin has been putting up with Freya's distracted long distance love for seven years so I'm glad that Freya finally realized that life is too short not to be with someone you love. It's about damn time!

Being mortal Freya's choices have greater consequences and if it was just her siblings I'd want her to leave with Kellin be happy and visit like a functional family but Freya's true attachment is to Hope - second to Hayley Freya has been Hope's main parental figure and Freya just referred to Hope as the child she never got to raise. With Hope self destructing from a spell Freya helped her with I'm not convinced Freya has it in her to leave.  Though why Klaus and Hope stay in NOLA at this point is beyond me, Klaus finally learned there are more important things and hasn't taken any interest in the city itself while it seems Hope spent most of her time in MF. Essentially a Mikaelson is happily in love and that's usually the calm before the storm

Good grief the descriptions of Hayley were torturous to my ears and the English language.   I actually came around to liking Hayley well enough.  But damn if this season hasn't Mary Sued the crap out of her.  And that speak added Helen of Troy to the mix (Though, technically, Helen started a war... but of course Helen Sue's face would end one...)  Good grief.  Dial it back, guys.

5 hours ago, Sam Marie said:

No desire to defend Elijah right now especially his relationship with Hayley but Declan's version of their story irked me. Hayley decided they had to be over and Elijah left for Hope and so Hayley could raise her. And regardless of the devastation it brought Elijah chose to forget his family so that he wouldn't endanger Hope trying to save Klaus.

I'm actually going to give Declan and the writers a pass on this.  Hayley obviously couldn't explain the reason he left without discussing their supernatural lives.  And no matter what she said without "If he comes back it will destroy Hope, literally" would sound like a woman who'd been hurt by a man but was making excuses for him.  And the less she explained, the more he would have to fill in on his own.  We all do that.  Cast a person we love in the best light and those who hurt them in the worst. 

On 6/22/2018 at 1:19 PM, RachelKM said:

I'm actually going to give Declan and the writers a pass on this.  Hayley obviously couldn't explain the reason he left without discussing their supernatural lives.  And no matter what she said without "If he comes back it will destroy Hope, literally" would sound like a woman who'd been hurt by a man but was making excuses for him.  And the less she explained, the more he would have to fill in on his own.  We all do that.  Cast a person we love in the best light and those who hurt them in the worst. 

I agree it's lack of information not Declan or Hayley - I can't imagine Hayley really investing herself/being open in a relationship while still in love with Elijah after everything she went through with Jack. And upon meeting Klaus, Declan seemed under the impression that Hope's dad and the infamous ex were the same person but it serves to further Mary Sue the ever loving hell out of Hayley who has apparently reached sainthood in the eyes of NOLA even when she's not standing next to the Mikaelson brothers. Mostly it's just that Elijah well and truly effed up (done little else since killing Marcel really) and dug his own grave if you acknowledge Hayley's significant role in their break up, having Elijah falsely shoulder that as well feels like it lessens his actual 'crimes.' Both by providing Elijah with a point of defense and the implication that his actions weren't severe enough to warrant this reaction if he hadn't ruthlessly walked out on Hayley. I'm just hoping that the issue is dropped but Declan ridiculously random relation to Cami  doesn't give me a lot of faith in compulsion ... or decent story lines