Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E00: An Inside Look: Worldwide Trailers

sarthaz
  • Start Topic

I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun to revisit that train wreck business, but also it was good to see just why there were so many crappy episodes in those early seasons. Clearly the producer was directing the show towards what she thought was "good television", but I don't watch The Profit to see stupid people lying and yelling. There's plenty of that "reality" shit elsewhere. Season 5 seemed to have a lot less of that, and I'm hopeful they continue with Season 6. I want to see Marcus analyzing and fixing businesses, not some manufactured garbage a producer thinks is funny.

• Love 4
(edited)

My initial impression was that there wouldn't be much additional value, but I enjoyed it as well. 

I think you're right about "good television". Marcus wants to go fix problems, and so the producer takes that as an opportunity to go say "OK, I'll find some problems for you." I wonder how that meshes though with the first sign company, "ASL Signs". The guy basically didn't need anything and wanted a deal for business connections. And everyone was pretty happy working there despite attempts to show him as a "control freak". (Which he was a little, but nowhere near compared to others.) Marcus ended up ditching them halfway through the show.

So I wonder what the producer was thinking by offering up something like that. Was that the pendulum swinging the other way?

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

Interesting. I've always believed that Marcus loves playing armchair psychiatrist and helping people deal with their personal issues. I could have sworn he'd talked about this before in interviews. This episode paints it a little differently.

I suppose there's a line even he won't cross.

It was fun to see a little bit of how Marcus and the EP interact with one another - who calls the shots, who's responsible for what, how they pick businesses, etc. I would have expected Marcus to have a little more control over the businesses selected. At the very least letting them know what kind of business he wants to invest in. But it is good to see that he genuinely knows nothing about the companies before filming.

Amber Mazzola is only credited on IMDB as EP for 17 episodes of the show. Does anyone know if that's a mistake? It sure seems like she's been there from the start. Also to her credit: King of the Crown, Pretty Wild, Dirty Soap, and Millionaire Matchmaker.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked this so much more than I thought I would. I had never seen that trailer episode, so that was fascinating all on its own. 

I had always thought that Marcus found struggling businesses that he was interested in taking over for strategic reasons for his overall portfolio, so those companies could serve one another in the Marcus lineup and make him more $, and that was about it. I honestly never thought deeply about the "good TV" part of it until tonight. Very insightful!  

One other thing: I had a hard time imagining Tracy (that was her name, right? The female owner?) married to the male owner (sorry, crappy with names).  SO. MUCH. DRAMA. 

Also -- just because I notice these things -- It looked like both of them had gotten a professional teeth whitening before the show filmed.  They were all over this.  

Edited by GoGamecox
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2018 at 8:00 AM, ae2 said:

Interesting. I've always believed that Marcus loves playing armchair psychiatrist and helping people deal with their personal issues. I could have sworn he'd talked about this before in interviews. This episode paints it a little differently.

He definitely has said as much. The LA Dogworks guy was a real piece of work and all Marcus did there was trying to get him to act human. (Well, and some extra retail products for the storefront.) But this was different. He might like to help someone improve, but being in the middle of a couple is probably unsolvable. The only possibility would have been to buy one of them out. (The woman might have agreed but not at a reasonable price.)

I wonder if Marcus "knows how to help people improve" for the same reason he "knows how to cut an onion". He just thinks he does and doesn't want to admit it might be beyond his skill set (or interest).

• Love 2

I really wonder where the company is today. Is the lady still in love with her doofy looking partner and going crazy over his girlfriend? Does she spend all her nights at her beach house staring dreamily at Marcus Lemonus posters, that she will now tear down since he is married? Is the company still going strong?

• Love 5

Why didn’t Marcus and Tom pool their shares together, which would be 75%, and buy out Nancy.  Especially seeing Marcus saw that trailer business as a real money maker? I think they could have forced her out. 

• Love 1

I do remember from a previous update, that Nancy and Tom both live in Georgia where the manufacturing facility is.      They claim they settled their differences (No, I don't believe that). 

The two owners were never married, they were just romantic partners for a few years, and then when Tom moved on, Nancy went ballistic.  I loved Marcus's reaction at the end of the original episode, when Nancy proposed them getting together.       

They're the company that built the mobile kitchen for Sweet Pete's.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama