Type keyword(s) to search

No Rest for the Wicked: Compare & Contrast Lucifer & Other Shows

Lucifer was just a knock-off of Castle, which was a knock-off of Moonlighting (Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepard one, not Alex O'Longhuine one), and I'm pretty sure that Moonlighting was a knock-off of something else.

(edited)

This may sound odd but the first season there were times when Lucifer would have a realization, usually about a case but also for example when he made the "Dr Canaan" connection, that would give me vibes of House.

Season 3 was definitely Castle-ish. Season 1 I was making jokes that Chloe seemed to work from home but once they started gathering in Ella's work space room regularly it was reminding me of Bones. There seems to be more "consulting " shows this season that dont seem to have angles worth checking out,  one with an actress working with a cop on ABC and another with some kind of illusionIst on CBS. Occasionally when Lucifer would be bad ass I was reminded of Angel even though Lucifer wasn't broody.

Lucifer being fun loving and despite his Dad issues, actually cheerful (even Chloe commented he was missing his usual Glee when he was spiraling about killing Uriel) Ive found refreshing since TV favors broody male leads son much that Luci would generally mock as he does Amenadiel. Even when hes insulting he doesnt always equale asshole, like when he had a need to find Charlottes husband better clothes, most characters would just make insults and move on. Castle, himself, I don't count since they went straight with the Manchild route. 

I would love to see Netflix go back to Lucifer being Bi-Sexual since that set him aside from womanizing leads.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

I suppose for the Fox network just having him talk about it was groundbreaking enough. Though a Sense8-level commitment to showing rather than telling would be great (if Lucifer's promiscuous and fun again, rather than mooning over Chloe for another 10 episodes).

On 6/19/2018 at 3:55 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Though a Sense8-level commitment to showing rather than telling would be great (if Lucifer's promiscuous and fun again, rather than mooning over Chloe for another 10 episodes).

I suspect it is unlikely as there are a suprising amount of younger viewers for Lucifer - probably because he can be so funny - Though from bits and pieces of spoilers showing up (which I've actually been trying to avoid, but it's hard when people plaster them everywhere) it looks like we will be getting a bit more naked flesh on netflix than on Fox. It'll be interesting to see how far they push the stories now. I'm hoping for a genuine improvement over S3.

In the S4 Eve episode Lucifer ogles the middle eastern gangster in a speedo, so there's that.

I definitely get the Castle vibe (s3 manchild arc included), they out and out meta'd Bones... but I also get a Remington Steele vibe. Charming flirty man who doesn't know much about detecting, assisting capable down to earth detective, taking credit, not following rules, and being over the top? All we need is movie references and a trip to Ireland. (no, wait, I take that back.)

• Love 1