Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Berlin 2018.06.10

In Berlin – an anomaly among German metropolises – Bourdain encounters an extremely accepting society, teeming with unbridled creativity, despite a grim history. Against the backdrop of Berlin Wall remnants, the host communes with musician Anton Newcombe (Brian Jonestown Massacre) for a home-cooked meal, and electronic artist Ellen Allien over a lunch of sausage made from chicken, pigs feet and sage at Michelberger. Bourdain also mixes in with photographers, club bouncers, cabaret owners, and historians, to discuss this city’s unparalleled culture.

(edited)

It was definitely a bit surreal to watch this episode, the first that aired after Bourdain's death. I thought there was way too much time spent with Anton Newcombe. The photographs of Anthony were really great though. If you want to check out more of Jim Rakete's work, this is his website.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this episode yet.  I have been in a brooding mood over Anthony's death, and not able to handle it.   We tried re-watching the Marseille episode with Eric and had to stop mid way through because it was too hard for us.  I'm glad Netflix extended its run of Parts Unknown indefinitely in response to fan demand.  After enough time has passed I might be able to revisit some of those episodes.  I'll keep this one on the DVR until then too.

• Love 1

It was really hard to watch this episode.  My husband and I watched it when it aired. I kept thinking how long ago was this actually filmed. It probably was late 2017 at latest, as they had to editing stuff and the voice overs.  He seemed normal in this episode :(.

13 minutes ago, blueray said:

It probably was late 2017 at latest,

It was filmed mid January 2018. My friend was at the hotel they were staying at but never ran into him, though did run into some of the crew in the bar.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, blueray said:

It was really hard to watch this episode.  My husband and I watched it when it aired. I kept thinking how long ago was this actually filmed. It probably was late 2017 at latest, as they had to editing stuff and the voice overs.  He seemed normal in this episode :(.

I don't know....I'm currently watching Netflix and am about to start S4, but I've been watching episodes on CNN out of order as well.  In the early Netflix episodes (S1-3), there was a light, witty, vibe to his voice.  It was snappy and quick-witted.  He sounded tired to me in the Berlin episode, like his words were think and heavy.  I also didn't think he looked good when the photographer took his picture.  Not sick, but very fatigued and drawn.   But then, you wonder if you're "seeing" things in light of the way he died.

I am enjoying the series even though it also makes me sad, and I agree with those who thought this episode was dark and perverse.  That's not my thing.

Edited by Ohmo

I finally saw this episode.  I thought Tony looked pretty rough and tired, like he wasn't getting any sleep.  I agree that it was hard and disturbing to watch, and definitely focused on a very dark side of Berlin.  I have read opinion pieces on Asia that she dabbles in the occult and some of it is very dark stuff, so this fascination with the most profane, ethically promiscuous side of a society feels like it comes from the perspective of someone that was leaning toward a similar darkness in his own soul.  And not for the betterment of it, in my opinion.  I haven't watched the later episodes.....I shudder to think what's in store for me there.

(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, Ohmo said:

I don't know....I'm currently watching Netflix and am about to start S4, but I've been watching episodes on CNN out of order as well.  In the early Netflix episodes (S1-3), there was a light, witty, vibe to his voice.  It was snappy and quick-witted.  He sounded tired to me in the Berlin episode, like his words were think and heavy.  I also didn't think he looked good when the photographer took his picture.  Not sick, but very fatigued and drawn.   But then, you wonder if you're "seeing" things in light of the way he died..

No, it's not just you.  I've re-watched a couple of episodes of "No Reservations" from about 2012 and the difference in him is striking.  It even surprised me and I've been following him since 2002.  That was definitely the "old Tony" at his finest.  I shed more than a few tears thinking of how he had changed in only a few years.  He was definitely more lighthearted and I remembered how witty and funny he used to be, cracking me up in every episode with ironic cultural references and the like.  In the eps. I watched his daughter was still very young and he was often commenting about how he was all about "rainbows and unicorns" now.  The symbolism of that lightness vs. the darkness of these later "Parts Unknown" episodes is striking.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

I missed this episode in June, but, watched it last night.  I definitely see things a little differently now, but, I still enjoyed this episode. It really brought a perspective about Berlin that I had not considered. It didn't escape me that the name of the band that Anton Newcombe is in would come into play later for Tony.   I'm not sure why you would name your band after mass suicide, but, he seemed to enjoy his time with Tony. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe