Type keyword(s) to search

Training Spaces: The Webisodes That Train The Newbies

I actually went to the TLC website and found that there are six Training Spaces webisodes in total. Including the two that aired last night there are four other designer "bootcamp" episodes featuring Hildi, Gen, Vern and Laurie. None featuring Frank, which I found odd. Are they not using Frank at all except for showing him on the reunion episode and his random appearance on the Nate-and-Jeremiah episode?

I don't know how much discussion there will be because each webisode is fifteen minutes long on average but I figured it would be better to contain them here rather than clutter up the latest original episode thread. 

I didn't realize they were supposed to be "webisodes" but that makes sense being so short. I thought it was kind of a waste of air time, not even half an hour with commercials. Not sure I'll bother to watch the others. Maybe if I'm bored later.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I haven't watched the others yet so I have no opinions on those. We'll see. I wasn't impressed with Kahi in Doug's challenge, behavior or design-wise.

I thought the little dog bed idea was cute, but not exactly great design. Even I could have put a cushion in there and painted some paw prints.

I was amused by Sabrina using her own shirt and belt because she didn't like the available fabrics (though I thought the fabric Kahi used would have gone better with Sabrina's blue paint), but I wouldn't want my cushions made from someone's just-worn and unwashed clothes. (Fully realizing, however, that people would be sitting on said cushion anyway and it was unlikely to be washed on any regular basis.)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought the little dog bed idea was cute, but not exactly great design. Even I could have put a cushion in there and painted some paw prints.

I was amused by Sabrina using her own shirt and belt because she didn't like the available fabrics (though I thought the fabric Kahi used would have gone better with Sabrina's blue paint), but I wouldn't want my cushions made from someone's just-worn and unwashed clothes. (Fully realizing, however, that people would be sitting on said cushion anyway and it was unlikely to be washed on any regular basis.)

Were any of the available fabrics Laurie's, by chance? ;)

• Love 1

Paige is so busy inserting herself into the episode that she messed up Brett's (?) layout for his shelving unit.  

As for the designers, I though John's had the most thought=out design.  Kahi's just looked like a home craft project instead of a designer's project.  The way she painted "Mr. Wilson" was just so messy-I would never want that amateurish looking in my home representing a design element.  

• Love 6

I thought all the boxes looked more amateurish than like they done by professionals.  John's was easily the best (despite Paige) but the hurried finishing touches weren't great.  I didn't understand what took the two women so long to wrap a cushion in fabric and paint a box.  The dog bed box was a cute idea but it looked messy in the close up.  The paw prints were smudged and the fabric was already coming loose from the cushion corners.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mlp said:

I thought all the boxes looked more amateurish than like they done by professionals.  John's was easily the best (despite Paige) but the hurried finishing touches weren't great.  I didn't understand what took the two women so long to wrap a cushion in fabric and paint a box.  The dog bed box was a cute idea but it looked messy in the close up.  The paw prints were smudged and the fabric was already coming loose from the cushion corners.

The dog bed box wasn't even that multifunctional and that was the entire purpose of the design. Someone can't use the box as storage unless they don't allow the dog to use it as a dog bed, and there wasn't even a top on the box like Sabrina's to use it for inside storage.  

• Love 2

Agreed. As I said in a different thread, she made a box out of a box, all the while seeming to think she was all that and a bag of chips. Hey, maybe I'm a designer, too!

• Love 6

I watched all six webisodes and now I can definitively say that I don't care for Kahi. Her designs aren't anything to write home about and she seemed too invested in winning the stupid "awards" for the challenges. Vern's episode was all about making a wall-mounted clock and not only did Kahi not care that the hands of the clock didn't work, but the clock hands were black, on a black background so it would be almost impossible to see.

• Love 2
On 5/28/2018 at 1:59 AM, LexieLily said:

but the clock hands were black, on a black background so it would be almost impossible to see.

So she is a Doug/Hildi in the making?  Good to know.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, LexieLily said:

The dog bed box wasn't even that multifunctional and that was the entire purpose of the design. Someone can't use the box as storage unless they don't allow the dog to use it as a dog bed, and there wasn't even a top on the box like Sabrina's to use it for inside storage.  

They can use the dog for storage!  Inside the dog!  It's never been done before!

At least I know what these three made - I watched the one with the carpenters and wasn't sure if either made anything.

Just now, meep.meep said:

At least I know what these three made - I watched the one with the carpenters and wasn't sure if either made anything.

I think it was supposed to be some sort of wall-built storage thing but neither of those would have held anything larger than Joanie's jar of feathers. 

I have no idea. I like Joanie just because I like the idea of still having a female carpenter since Amy Wynn is gone - but I want her back! - but Brett seems unneeded. Why can't we use Ty or Carter?

• Love 2