Type keyword(s) to search

Mark: Mark you puke in my truck and I'll kill you!

The original flavour Mark portrayed by Glenn Quinn. Was he good for Becky, bad for Becky? Did you prefer the James Dean version of Mark or the dunce? 

If he was in the revival, what do you think his character would be doing?

Original Mark was one of my favourite non Conner characters. Talk about him here :)

• Love 3

I didn't think Mark was good for Becky, but she loved him and he loved her, so that is that.

I hated his stupidity; no one is that dumb, not even Joey Tribbiani ("Friends").

• Love 7

He supposedly had a terrible home life, yet managed to live on his own at a very young age. He was a talented mechanic and having known a few mechanics in my life (my DH owned his own auto repair business) stupid is something they are not.

• Love 7

The one problem with Mark and I know they were developing the character, but it shouldn't have taken until David came into the picture to explain his home life. All we knew for sure was Mark turned 18 and got out of his parents' house as fast as he could (though leaving three younger siblings behind didn't make sense IMOP). But seriously, he was a jerk and the typical tv "bad boy" that even someone as "smart" as Becky was suppose to be had to fall for. Their break up and even their reunion at least was written and acted well. However, as we got to "Lecy is leaving the show" story lines that lead to the Bike Shop crashing and burning. Even Dan admitted that Mark was a lot like him, but Mark wasn't an athlete or popular, which Dan was at least where sports were concerned and not academically. Having him be so stupid he couldn't stop burning himself with a zip lighter and to the point where he couldn't see putting his foot down to get Becky to finish school and not drop out. That's where it was just a stupid move, in fact both Becky and Mark's IQs went down so much when Sarah was brought in to be Becky. At least with Jackie they wait until after the Fisher story line to turn her into Gilligan.  

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The original flavour Mark portrayed by Glenn Quinn. Was he good for Becky, bad for Becky? Did you prefer the James Dean version of Mark or the dunce? 

If he was in the revival, what do you think his character would be doing?

Original Mark was one of my favourite non Conner characters. Talk about him here :)

I absolutely love the title of this thread. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I didn't think Mark was good for Becky, but she loved him and he loved her, so that is that.

I hated his stupidity; no one is that dumb, not even Joey Tribbiani ("Friends").

Ironically, I think if Mark was alive, they would be divorced but Becky would be in a much better place. When they moved into the trailer episode, Becky really did not seem to care if her ambitions left Mark behind. She realized her life was not what not what she wanted to be with him and probably would be ready to move on. I do think she loved him but probably would outgrow him at some point.

2 hours ago, readster said:

The one problem with Mark and I know they were developing the character, but it shouldn't have taken until David came into the picture to explain his home life. All we knew for sure was Mark turned 18 and got out of his parents' house as fast as he could (though leaving three younger siblings behind didn't make sense IMOP). But seriously, he was a jerk and the typical tv "bad boy" that even someone as "smart" as Becky was suppose to be had to fall for. Their break up and even their reunion at least was written and acted well. However, as we got to "Lecy is leaving the show" story lines that lead to the Bike Shop crashing and burning. Even Dan admitted that Mark was a lot like him, but Mark wasn't an athlete or popular, which Dan was at least where sports were concerned and not academically. Having him be so stupid he couldn't stop burning himself with a zip lighter and to the point where he couldn't see putting his foot down to get Becky to finish school and not drop out. That's where it was just a stupid move, in fact both Becky and Mark's IQs went down so much when Sarah was brought in to be Becky. At least with Jackie they wait until after the Fisher story line to turn her into Gilligan.  

It was crazy to think that Dan and Mark were anything alike in personality and I never bought that analogy.  Mark was a pretty boy/bad boy combo with an introverted sometimes moody attitude. Dan was an outgoing, life of the party, type guy and was extremely charismatic and social.

You have mentioned a lot of the characters assassinations that really killed the show's quality in later years.

• Love 2

I don't think Mark was good for Becky. Convincing your girlfriend to drop out of high school, ditch her family and run off to get married is not the behavior of a guy who has your best interests at heart. However, I also think Becky's a victim of her own bad choices. There's no reason she couldn't have worked part-time and stayed in school or enrolled in a trade program. Mark could be a jerk, but he wasn't keeping her chained to the radiator, preventing her from bettering her life. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't think Mark was good for Becky. Convincing your girlfriend to drop out of high school, ditch her family and run off to get married is not the behavior of a guy who has your best interests at heart. However, I also think Becky's a victim of her own bad choices. There's no reason she couldn't have worked part-time and stayed in school or enrolled in a trade program. Mark could be a jerk, but he wasn't keeping her chained to the radiator, preventing her from bettering her life. 

Which even Mark argued with Roseanne about when they left. He said: "I never convinced to make Becky do anything, it was all her." However, that's where it stopped, it was Becky's idea, but there also comes a time where you tell your spouse: "I don't think this is a good idea and here is why." Mark never did that. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

It was crazy to think that Dan and Mark were anything alike in personality and I never bought that analogy.  Mark was a pretty boy/bad boy combo with an introverted sometimes moody attitude. Dan was an outgoing, life of the party, type guy and was extremely charismatic and social.

I always took the Mark/Dan analogy as more of a comparison of their “hot young guy with the leather jacket and motorcycle” personna and how it affected Becky/Roseanne and their life choices rather than Mark and Dan being anything alike in actual personality. 

I hope it’s okay to reference this here, but there’s a great fanfic over on the website Archive of Our Own called Gotta Wear Shades that explores this dynamic. It’s old, posted back in 2011, but I just love it for that reason. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I'm also writing fanfiction for Becky, and Mark mostly set in seasons 3 and 4.

The username i have on here is the same one as my Ao3 username

Always wished we saw more of their courtship.

Their relationship was only portrayed as hot/cold whenever they needed some tension between Roseanne and Becky.

By the time the show paired Becky & Mark the writers had largely given up on Becky, as a character, and turned the majority of their focus to Saint Darlene.