Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Ashley's Story

• Start Topic

Okay I have wanted to say this for so long but there was no thread for this episode and I didn't want to start one, but watching this episode again today I cannot hold back any longer:

I HATE ASHLEY'S GD MOM

She sits there, OBESE AS ALL HELL, making FUN of her daughter, literally guffawing and slapping her knee LAUGHING at her struggles to lose weight. And at the beginning Ashley says in the voiceover how her mom has always made fun of her in front of other people. When her mom is FAT. FAT FAT. I want to grab her mom and scream YOU ARE FAT TOO. it doesn't matter if someone else is fatter, if you are fat YOU ARE FAT and have NO RIGHT to make fun of someone else who is fat!! Just...wtf!!! I mean, my dad was horrible too but he wasn't obese, people who have never been heavy don't tend to quite get how other people can be. But NOT THIS LADY.

(Disclaimer I am fat too and have always been, its not hate speech when you are too lol)

• Love 8

I caught a little bit of Ashley's episode yesterday, and I thoroughly agree.  I think it would have been funny when her mother went with her for the skin removal surgery if someone had walked in and handed Mama the gown.  "Oh, it's not YOU who is having the surgery?  Sorry.  My mistake.  Couldn't tell just by looking which one of you had 45 pounds of fat that needed to be pared off the front."

And when they were talking about Thanksgiving, and Mama was just going on and on about all the stuff that Ashley wouldn't be able to eat, all I could think of was, "If that girl dies on the operating table, the last words from her mother will be, 'Your Daddy's gonna make his honey biscuits, but you can't have any.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.'"

• Love 4
On 5/16/2018 at 9:02 AM, AZChristian said:

I think it would have been funny when her mother went with her for the skin removal surgery if someone had walked in and handed Mama the gown.

I had similar thoughts. At the end of the episode, Ashley’s aunt said hopefully some day mom would be Ashley’s rock. I disagree. I hope Ashley leaves home and finds support with new people. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, 4Sibes Redux said:

I had similar thoughts. At the end of the episode, Ashley’s aunt said hopefully some day mom would be Ashley’s rock. I disagree. I hope Ashley leaves home and finds support with new people. 

I just saw this post and wondered who this was until I saw the part about the mother in the original post.   I would like another WATN on her.  She was back on the earliest shows with Melissa.  I think I have seen Ashley's episodes separately, but I think at some point they were intertwined with Melissa, although I may be mis-remembering.

The mother was horrid, and Ashley was a Daddy's girl, but unfortunately Daddy died.   She had a much thinner sister, but in the last thing I saw, the sister was looking a little past chubby.  I think Ashley unfortunately carried a lot of weight in her legs;  I think maybe she had skin removal surgery on them, but they still looked misshapen.

I just hope she weighs a lot less than her mom.  

• Love 4

Wow, I just watched Ashley's episode.  That mother just doesn't get it.  I too blame my parents.  Maybe for the opposite reason.  They were always dieting and were very restrictive about food.  When I grew up and left home I realized that they weren't there to say no anymore.  I was an adult and could eat anything I wanted.  There are so many ways that parents can mess up their kids' eating habits and they usually never see it.  As parents it's so important to teach our children to have a healthy relationship with food; to treat food as fuel and to teach that our bodies love motion.  I'm really glad that Ashley has gone back to the sport she loves.  She looked happy and confident when she was coaching.

• Love 2

I never saw this episode from the first season in 2012. I can’t believe how different the format is from the newer seasons! Dr Now is practically unrecognizable. 

Ashley was approved for WLS surgery even before the episode began and had it first thing. No shower scene or showing her stuffing enormous amounts of food into her mouth! Within 20 minutes she was at the One Year mark and had both WLS and skin removal surgery by the end of a one hour episode which covered 7 Years! 

Oh, and her mother was a cruel bitch! 

Update: Ashley passed away a year ago: https://www.youngsdaughters.com/obituaries/ashley-randall

Edited by magemaud
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The early episodes were more about helping people and seeing how complex the issues are that lead to people being 600+ lbs.  As the show has progressed, it has been more about shaming people. When Ashley got away from her mother, she seemed to be a very kind-hearted person.  

Yes- as the series went on there was a sensationalism aspect that became heightened. Also the early episodes followed participants for years. 

16 hours ago, magemaud said:

I never saw this episode from the first season in 2012. I can’t believe how different the format is from the newer seasons! Dr Now is practically unrecognizable. 

Ashley was approved for WLS surgery even before the episode began and had it first thing. No shower scene or showing her stuffing enormous amounts of food into her mouth! Within 20 minutes she was at the One Year mark and had both WLS and skin removal surgery by the end of a one hour episode which covered 7 Years! 

Oh, and her mother was a cruel bitch! 

Update: Ashley passed away a year ago: https://www.youngsdaughters.com/obituaries/ashley-randall

I didn’t know she had died. I remember her episode. 

• Like 2