Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E22: Live Top 10 Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Seven artists are revealed as safe by America's votes.  The bottom three artists perform for the Instant Save, and two are eliminated.  Kelly performs her new single.

Discuss this one-hour results show here.

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam

Rayshun LaMarr (saved by Twitter)

Team Alicia

Britton Buchanan (saved by America's vote)

Jackie Foster (saved by America's vote)

Team Kelly

Brynn Cartelli (saved by America's vote)

Kaleb Lee (saved by America's vote)

Team Blake

Kyla Jade (saved by America's vote)

Pryor Baird (saved by America's vote)

Spensha Baker (saved by America's vote)

This is our top eight.  These are our semifinalists.

Damn.  I was really hoping for an Adam wipeout, but the Instant Save placements made it very clear that TPTB wanted at least one of his contestants in the semifinals.

Oh, well.  Rayshun will undeniably be gone next week, anyway, unless he really steps it back up again.  I can see him instantly being eliminated without getting the chance to sing.

I feel like Adam missed the point tonight. I'm sure it was a bummer for him, but tonight was much worse for the artists on his team knowing the biggest opportunity of their careers might be coming to an end. I also felt like he must have looked at twitter during the commercial break when he said he wasn't throwing anyone under the bus. He didn't sell Jackie and then sold Rayshun. He wasn't subtle about who he was placing his weight behind.

Meanwhile, Team Blake is still intact. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Peace out to Christianna who was low-key terrible and could not sing on pitch most of the time (yes I'm still really really bitter that Alicia dropped Kelsea Johnson for her lol), and to Jackie V. who in her heart of hearts is probably still amazed that she got Adam's coach's save during the Top 24 to Top 12 week. These extra four performances were total gravy for her.

Rayshun lives again, and joins the rare multi-twitter saved category along with luminary Voice alums like Mark Isaiah, Korin Bukowski and maybe a couple more I'm forgetting).

His journey will end next week, as will Jackie F.'s. But man the other 6 for the final 4 spots is going to be a blood bath. I feel like Britton and Brynn are pretty much bulletproof. I feel like we might finally have a season where Team Blake cannibalizes itself before the Finale and maybe Kyla and Pryor end up on the outside looking in after the twitter save performances. That would advance Spensha and Kaleb in that scenario but I could easily see it flipping between the four of them in just about any combination.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Rayshun lives again, and joins the rare multi-twitter saved category along with luminary Voice alums like Mark Isaiah, Korin Bukowski and maybe a couple more I'm forgetting).

Kat Perkins, Ryan Sill, India Carney, Adam Cunningham, and the only three-time survivor, Aaron Gibson.

However, Rayshun is the first to survive it one week, avoid it entirely the next week, and survive it again the week after.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 2

Of those three artists, I think Jackie is the best by a TON.  But then, I think she's a much better singer than Pryor too.  On the other hand - who isn't?  I don't even know who I hope wins at this point.  It sure isn't Pryor.  It sure isn't Adam's guy (both the other two African American male singers were far far far better).  For some reason, I just can't root for Alicia's teenage guy even though he's a good singer.  Maybe because he was a dick to his mother.  On television.  I do like Jackie on her team.  And I like the country guy on Kelly's team.  I'm totally perplexed about the little girl with the funny name on Kelly's team because I thought last week - she was not good at all.  

Mostly I guess, I'm not rooting for Adam (as usual - because - He. Sucks.)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, tpplay said:

Mostly I guess, I'm not rooting for Adam (as usual - because - He. Sucks.)

Did you see his lukewarm support of Jackie V. while completely tongue-bathing Rayshun, and then having the gall to say that he wasn't throwing anyone under the bus?  STFU, Adam!  That was exactly what you did!

• Love 3
(edited)

To be fair though, in that exact situation I think any of the coaches (except maybe like Pharrell) would've clearly favored one team person over their other team person (without openly calling for America to vote for one over the other). Adam didn't want to get wiped out completely before Top 8.

However slim the chance that Rayshun and Jackie V. would split the twitter vote leaving an opening for Christianna....he couldn't really take that chance. And Jackie V. was pretty underwhelming compared to previous performances like I'm with You and Strawberry Wine.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

To be fair though, in that exact situation I think any of the coaches (except maybe like Pharrell) would've clearly favored one team person over their other team person (without openly calling for America to vote for one over the other). Adam didn't want to get wiped out completely before Top 8.

However slim the chance that Rayshun and Jackie V. would split the twitter vote leaving an opening for Christianna....he couldn't really take that chance. And Jackie V. was pretty underwhelming compared to previous performances like I'm with You and Strawberry Wine.

No excuse at all.  Sure, other coaches who have had two of their members in the bottom two or three before have preferred one over the other.  But they never made it known the way Adam does.  Makes him look incredibly two-faced.

Edited by Prin Holmes
  • Love 2

I like Rayshun, I haven't watched all of his performances, but from what I've seen he's got too much energy.  He needs to slow down and just....sing.  If he keeps running around on stage shouting, I predict he'll be gone next week.  

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I like Rayshun, I haven't watched all of his performances, but from what I've seen he's got too much energy.  He needs to slow down and just....sing.  If he keeps running around on stage shouting, I predict he'll be gone next week.  

He is a wedding singer and those folks have to perform and get the crowd going. He does need to slow down and just sing.

1 minute ago, 4N6MAL said:

He is a wedding singer and those folks have to perform and get the crowd going. He does need to slow down and just sing.

Oh, ok I didn't know his backstory.  He does need to be more self aware though if he wants to go beyond being a wedding singer. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, vast wasteland said:

Does anyone else get an unpleasant/entitled vibe from Pryor?  Maybe just me

Nope, not just you. I don't remember what it was he said during one of the closeups, but it was something you'd normally hear a self-deprecating laugh after and....there wasn't one. I also noticed that he didn't have as much mom-time on camera as the others did.

15 hours ago, tpplay said:

Maybe because he was a dick to his mother.  On television. 

I missed how he was a dick (I also find myself multitasking a lot more this lackluster season) but I did feel bad that his mother was telling some embarrassing story about him.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

ITA. I want to like him, he's got tons of personality, but I feel exhausted watching him run around and ...I dunno. It just seems like he's trying to will the audience to "LIKE ME!!!! PLEASE JUST LIIIIIKE MEEEE!!!!" through sheer force of personality. I'm being performed at, instead of that precious connection that judges use as generic praise. Looking forward to the imminent wipeout of Adam's team, although it's almost a given that Rayshun will perform some gospel classic next week.

17 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Peace out to Christianna who was low-key terrible and could not sing on pitch most of the time (yes I'm still really really bitter that Alicia dropped Kelsea Johnson for her lol), and to Jackie V. who in her heart of hearts is probably still amazed that she got Adam's coach's save during the Top 24 to Top 12 week. These extra four performances were total gravy for her.

So true. I liked Christianna in the beginning, but then she turned into a novelty singer. As in, how much can she "artistically interpret" (mangle) a well-known song? I liked Jackie V. but that stage set for her the night before really didn't do her any favors. She was a bit lost in all of the visual clutter, which was a shame because her voice really is pretty.

This is the first season where I'm not particularly rooting for or against anyone in the final eight. I wonder if Spensha has any acting ability--she's the one IMO with post-Voice potential regardless of whether or not she wins, if she expands to acting.

Brynn also, if she has a good original song written for her (and a brilliant producer backing her) and maybe Britton. They both have generic, moldable pop star potential.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, vast wasteland said:

Does anyone else get an unpleasant/entitled vibe from Pryor?  Maybe just me.

I get that too... Like he said the other night, he feels like he paid his dues, and he seemed angry that he hadn't got to where he wants to be yet. Maybe it's just that you are not going to be a super famous singer. Not everyone gets that luxury. Nothing wrong with it, but there aren't all these dues that must be paid in order to make it in Hollywood. Some just get lucky. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, tpplay said:

For some reason, I just can't root for Alicia's teenage guy even though he's a good singer.  Maybe because he was a dick to his mother. 

He definitely wasn't being a dick to his mother! He said they both had a very dry sense of humor. And that's all that was, bantering back and forth in dry humor form.

I really loved Christina at her blind audition, and even her Sia performance was pretty good (I love Sia). But wow was her vibrato getting a little strange as the weeks continued. It got to be too amateur for me. My family member kept asking if she was meaning to make that sound with her voice or if she was nervous. I said no that's always been the sound of her vibrato, but it is really now making her sound like a bad singer. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Oh, ok I didn't know his backstory.  He does need to be more self aware though if he wants to go beyond being a wedding singer. 

I don't think he'll ever be self-aware.  He has twice celebrated way too openly over surviving the Twitter save in front of those who were eliminated in favor of him.  Not a good look, and he clearly doesn't realize it.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 11:13 PM, Prin Holmes said:

Did you see his lukewarm support of Jackie V. while completely tongue-bathing Rayshun, and then having the gall to say that he wasn't throwing anyone under the bus?  STFU, Adam!  That was exactly what you did!

Hmm, I've actually been seeing it the opposite way. I've been interpreting his actions as being overly complimentary of Jackie while almost gritting his teeth week after week with Rayshun. On this night he definitely pushed her, but I see it as him getting behind the team member who might actually do well in the finals. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Hmm, I've actually been seeing it the opposite way. I've been interpreting his actions as being overly complimentary of Jackie while almost gritting his teeth week after week with Rayshun. On this night he definitely pushed her, but I see it as him getting behind the team member who might actually do well in the finals. 

Believe that if you want, but I don't for a minute.  He looked exceedingly happy when Rayshun got the Instant Save.  No way he wanted Jackie V. to get through.

9 hours ago, Prin Holmes said:

Believe that if you want, but I don't for a minute.  He looked exceedingly happy when Rayshun got the Instant Save.  No way he wanted Jackie V. to get through.

That's the great thing about these forums-we're a bunch of different people with different ideas coming together to share them.