Type keyword(s) to search

Blockers (2018)

afterbite
  • Start Topic

Movie description taken from Rotten Tomatoes

When three parents stumble upon their daughters' pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal.

I saw it on Friday and can confirm that it's hilarious. Not all of the jokes land, but most of them do. 

A couple of scenes make it clear this was written by guys (testicle humor never quite manages to amuse me, but I guess guys find it hilarious). It all ends sweetly enough, and there's an adorable, geeky lesbian subplot that's 85% great. Overall, would recommend.

I'd heard that it was pretty sex-positive, which is why I was OK with seeing it. And it was! I was pleasantly surprised that the movie straight up calls out, verbatim, the double standard the parents are employing re: girls and boys losing their virginity. I was also pleasantly surprised to see June Diane Raphael and Hannibal Burress in it, albeit briefly.

Hated the vomit scene though.

• Love 3

I saw the trailer for this and had zero desire to see it -- I thought it looked like a stupid, regressive movie about parents taking ownership of their kids' bodies. It wasn't like that at all! It was sex-positive, subversive, and genuinely funny. It definitely had some of the requisite dumb comedy moments, including the "everybody vomits" scene that I never really enjoy, but there weren't many of those and the stronger scenes made up for them. All of the characters were fleshed out, and characters that would have been a punchline in any other movie, like a cosplaying girl and a fedora-wearing ginger boy, were treated with respect here. One of the daughters was a lesbian and her sexuality was never treated as a joke, which was refreshing to see. I'm glad I listened to word of mouth instead of following my first instincts about this one.

• Love 2

Whoever cut the trailer for this should not be given work going forward (that it was going to be about the parents learning a lesson was pretty obvious to me, it just didn't look funny).

Geraldine Viswanathan is a real find.  I look forward to complaining in the future that Hollywood is not using her properly.

• Love 1

I saw this movie last night. 

It was enjoyable. The female characters were original and each ended up with their own unique prom night story, which was a great touch

I thought it would be funnier though

And as a parent now I need to learn more about what certain emoji's mean. 

• Love 1

Our daughter recommended this movie and I needed a laugh so a friend and I watched it yesterday. I have to say we really enjoyed it!  I knew the premise but didn’t realize how pro-female sexuality it was. Definitely gave us food for thought. I think all the actors did a great job. I’m looking forward to watching it with the hubby.   I’m interested to get his take since we have daughters.