Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Line In The Sand

I think that this was my least favorite episode of the season. I really didn't like it. They should have renamed the episode to Love Triangles, because that was essentially a part of every single storyline. Except, surprisingly, for Callie's. Well, unless you count the cliffhanger of the ICE guy after Ximena following Callie, and that's more of a hate triangle.

Tell me they're not actually going down a love triangle route with Jesus, Emma, and Poppy. I genuinely hoped they'd just not go down it, but here we are. Emma's jealous of Poppy, Poppy might have a crush on Jesus to the point where she's jealous of Emma, and Jesus is a clueless goof who is trying to be nice to Poppy and be a good boyfriend to Emma. Now, Emma's joined derby, likely to keep an eye on Jesus/Emma. And to think I genuinely thought that Emma/Jesus worked out the issue of Poppy at the end of the episode. 

Mariana/Wyatt/Mat had their stuff going on, but I appreciate how Mariana ended things with Mat at the end. Again, a rare moment of maturity for her, and a good acting moment for Cierra. 

So, we finally get a small Brandon/Talya reunion, even if it was there to spark some jealousy thing with Grace. I'm not quite sure what the writers were going with them, but it was entertaining to see how much Brandon has changed since season 1. Speaking of Brandon, I really love him and Grace together. I loved their talk in the car at the end of the episode, and how he brought her that souvenir. I'm just waiting for that death scene from Grace, because of course the show wouldn't miss an opportunity to actually kill off a character close to the family. They haven't done that since season 1, with Stef's dad. And no, I don't really count Jack because he showed up for, like four episodes or so. 

Now, the whole Jenna/Tess stuff is messy as hell, but Lena's right. Stef doesn't need to get involved. I'm glad Stef told her off at the end. Tess is just being reckless. If she's really torn about her sexuality, she should be ending things with her husband, and not blatantly flirting with a woman. But is Stef's anxiety really stemming from the Tess situation? It's really been blown up a lot since Tess confessed at prom. Was it just the last straw to send Stef into a tailspin? 

I thought Ximena's lawyer was going to try to subpoena the Conservative Dude to get his testimony or a copy of the footage. I wasn't sure how that would work out. Then I was worried Callie would get into trouble for using the footage without permission, even if the school owned it. Did she ask the school, or just take it? You'd think that they'd have a policy and everyone would be informed about it when signing out the equipment, but apparently not.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought Ximena's lawyer was going to try to subpoena the Conservative Dude to get his testimony or a copy of the footage. I wasn't sure how that would work out. Then I was worried Callie would get into trouble for using the footage without permission, even if the school owned it. Did she ask the school, or just take it? You'd think that they'd have a policy and everyone would be informed about it when signing out the equipment, but apparently not.

I assume, once she read the "fine print" of the footage belonging to the school, she told Ximena's lawyer, who then went to talk to the school about handing over the footage. I think everyone signing out equipment does get waivers to sign but not surprisingly, not very many people take the time to actually read the rules and conditions. I mean, Callie didn't even look at the conditions until after she put two and two together. 

I literally laughed out loud when Grace was saying how awkward it was to be hanging around a girl who slept with their boyfriend, and Callie got a super awkward look on her face! I mean, of course Grace would assume that Brandon's sister wouldn't be a possible ex girlfriend or anything*! 

The love triangle between Poppy/Jesus/Emma is already boring and annoying. Jesus doesn't seem to have any idea that Emma is jealous, or has any reason to, and Poppy doesn't seem that flirty towards him or anything, so it just makes Emma look like an asshole. Poppy seems a bit preoccupied with other, more important things, than finding a new boyfriend. 

I did enjoy the senior prank stuff, and how the kids (minus an apparently comatose Jude) worked together on it. The sibling/family stuff will always be more interesting to me than the latest dating drama or social issue of the week. Lena getting into the spirit was a good call, and she looked GREAT in that outfit! And I continue to enjoy Grace and Brandon, much more than I have any of his other love interests. They're conversation in the car was very mature, and I understood both of their point of views. Brandon wants to be supportive to Grace, but Grace doesn't want to be pitted, or to become Brandon's whole world. I am not at all looking forward to her inevitable tragic death. 

Do ICE people work on commission or something? Is that why he is so pissed about not getting to arrest and deport this random, harmless 20 something? Is he upset that Callie made them look like assholes? Is that why he is apparently stalking her now? Does he want to try and deport her, despite being not in any way an immigrant? Or did he just hear all sketchy authority figures are required to be obsessed with screwing with this one teenage girl?

*I know, adopted sister. But still. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I guess they didn't know the show was cancelled these episodes were written, otherwise we hopefully wouldn't be getting these meandering love triangles when the show should be wrapping things up. 

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I literally laughed out loud when Grace was saying how awkward it was to be hanging around a girl who slept with their boyfriend, and Callie got a super awkward look on her face! I mean, of course Grace would assume that Brandon's sister wouldn't be a possible ex girlfriend or anything*!

Now I'm imagining Brandon trying to explain the complex web of family relationships on this show to Grace.

MhfKxcm.png

• Love 7

Finally watched. Loved Lena walking her Bad Ass Self into the school dressed for the beach. Great move and wow...

Still not clear on what is going on with Stef and why Tess's questioning her sexuality seems to be a trigger. 

Love that the only one who is not going through relationship issues right now is Callie. What a welcome change. 

Not a Jenna fan although I did like the mention of her unnamed son, Garrett.