Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Midlife Crisis

Katie takes Oliver out of school for a day to help loosen him up after Oliver suffers from a meltdown about something minor. Meanwhile, Anna-Kat takes Greg to the park to help him make new friends.

This is an extra new episode at 8:30pm Eastern Std time, before Modern Family!

What does Greg see in Katie?  She's not interested in stimulating her intellect;  if anything, she seems to want to move in the opposite direction. ( I have no idea how she was accepted at Duke.)  She also has none to negative interest in Greg's work, and apparently not in his hobbies, either, if she didn't know he was a stamp collector (even if she didn't know what a philatelist was, she ought to have been able to deduce it from knowing he was a passionate stamp collector.)  She can't possibly complain in how little interest Taylor has in school or learning since she seems proud of her own lack of interest.

I will say that after Greg destroyed Chloe Brown Mueller's shop at Halloween, they probably owed letting her put her signs on their lawn (there's no way Greg could do enough work in her shop to pay for the value of her inventory.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What does Greg see in Katie?  She's not interested in stimulating her intellect;  if anything, she seems to want to move in the opposite direction. ( I have no idea how she was accepted at Duke.)  She also has none to negative interest in Greg's work,and apparently not in his hobbies, either, if she didn't know he was a stamp collector (even if she didn't know what a philatelist was, she ought to have been able to deduce it from knowing he was a passionate stamp collector.)  She can't possibly complain in how little interest Taylor has in school or learning since she seems proud of her own lack of interest.

I will say that after Greg destroyed Chloe Brown Mueller's shop at Halloween, they probably owed letting her put her signs on their lawn (there's no way Greg could do enough work in her shop to pay for the value of her inventory.)

Sorry to say, my own wife could care less about my interests or hobbies. I was doing my movie facts the other day and she said: "Don't care, I just asked who the actor was." So, I can relate to Greg very easily, I just have the point where I love it if Katie went and got a job in something, anything. She seriously could do work, despite all the other "moms" on the show, they could do actual work instead of acting like they can go out and eat any time or something. I know this show is "American Housewife" as in the wives that stay at home, but still it goes to the point where you want to go: "If you hate it that much, go get a job or do something you are more active in." Then they wonder why Taylor is so dumb or that Oliver feels like he needs to escape the family. 

• Love 2

What does Greg see in Katie?  She's not interested in stimulating her intellect;  if anything, she seems to want to move in the opposite direction. ( I have no idea how she was accepted at Duke.)  She also has none to negative interest in Greg's work,and apparently not in his hobbies, either, if she didn't know he was a stamp collector (even if she didn't know what a philatelist was, she ought to have been able to deduce it from knowing he was a passionate stamp collector.)  She can't possibly complain in how little interest Taylor has in school or learning since she seems proud of her own lack of interest.

If you've seen Katie Mixon in some of her earlier work before she gained all the weight you'd guess right away what initially attracted Greg to Katie. 

And it never ceases to amaze me how many married couples seem to have so few interests in common. Personally I'm baffled but just based on my own anecdotal evidence it seems to me that very few couples pair up based on mutual interests.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And it never ceases to amaze me how many married couples seem to have so few interests in common. Personally I'm baffled but just based on my own anecdotal evidence it seems to me that very few couples pair up based on mutual interests.

I can't relate to that either as my spouse and I share many common interests and even where we don't we at least have an appreciation for whatever they are.   It's not just that Katie and Greg don't share interests, they seem to be at odds with each other on so many things.  Plus he seems to be in a traditionally female role while she is more of the dominant partner in the relationship.  Not that I think this is a bad thing necessarily.  My parents had that kind of relationship, but at least they had a lot of commonality.  Katie just seems a little too much like a bully for my taste.

• Love 2
On 1/27/2018 at 3:20 AM, Yeah No said:

It's not just that Katie and Greg don't share interests, they seem to be at odds with each other on so many things.  Plus he seems to be in a traditionally female role while she is more of the dominant partner in the relationship.  Not that I think this is a bad thing necessarily.  My parents had that kind of relationship, but at least they had a lot of commonality.  Katie just seems a little too much like a bully for my taste.

I agree with you, and find this dynamic in the show to be very realistic.

We have a few guy friends who, like Greg, understand that they need a strong wife to keep them moving in the right direction.  Not that Katie needs to be a bully, but I think Greg needs her to jump in and take charge as often as she does.

• Love 1