Type keyword(s) to search

Dwyer Derrig: Does She Ever Make Her Own Meals?

• Start Topic

I mean, she probably does cook for herself and her family, but I think I've seen that episode in which Ina makes a bunch of food for some occasion (recipe testing?) and then offers the meal to Dwyer and her family. Dwyer, making sure to stay on Ina's good side, buys Ina General Tso's chicken for dinner. I cannot stand the episode or Dwyer, yet I always watch it to completion. 

They're showing an episode in which Ina cooks an entire Greek spread (spanokopita, tzatziki, lamb kabobs, etc.) to bring over to her friends, the Greenwalds, for a party, and all Dwyer brings is a fruit salad. And that shouldn't bother me but it does. Because it's Dwyer. 

(I think I just really dislike her name.)

• Love 4

When she gives the entire meal to Dwyer, her kitchen was being remodeled and she was having company. At least Dwyer brought her Chinese and flowers.

Hmmm...I always enjoyed watching this episode and think Dwyer's cute and sweet (and I love her name ;>)  The times I've seen Dwyer and her husband on the show, they came across as friendly, nice folks (ok, who knows, maybe offscreen they're arrogant snobs!)  I'm trying to think of any episode that I can't stand watching...maybe the meal sent to the medical school student in NYC...or when Ina's making something and pouring lots of booze and raisins into the mix (always makes me gag).  Hey, I loved that fruit salad Dwyer made - love fruit salads anyway and the more beautiful/creative, the better. 

• Love 1

I'm sure she's a nice woman, but there's just something about her. I grew up on Long Island and while in school, I worked for a ferry company for about 6 years as a valet, and she reminds me of every snooty wealthy Hamptons woman I ever dealt with. Maybe I'm being irrational. 

• Love 3

Seeing TR on old episodes of BC is like hearing fingernails scratching a blackboard.  His snippy comments are inane and irritating.  One thing he does have in common with Dwyer is both are really attractive.  Dwyer has a kindness in her smile and she & Ina seem to have a mutual admiration thing going.  I like that.

• Love 2

It's funny the things that annoy us, in that episode I get annoyed when Dwyer orders the food and asks for white rice. It seems to me that dishes Chinese places always come with white rice, unless you request brown. Totally silly, but that is what annoys me:)

Well, Stinger97, I couldn't have said it better.  Dwyer appeared on a soap opera in her teens, many moons ago, and she overacted something awful.  I couldn't stand her then, and apparently I still can't.  The moment I first saw her, I thought, "Oh, nooooo!"  She actually acts better now than she did then, but my dislike of her carried over.  While this may be unfair, so is human nature sometimes.  There may actually come a day when I'll like old Dwyer, but for now, I'd be just as happy not seeing her too often.

I'm sure she's a nice woman, but there's just something about her. I grew up on Long Island and while in school, I worked for a ferry company for about 6 years as a valet, and she reminds me of every snooty wealthy Hamptons woman I ever dealt with. Maybe I'm being irrational.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that Ina, Jeffrey and all of their friends act snooty, pompous and arrogant. They seem like the type that wouldn't give you the time of day unless you hang with their class of folks.

• Love 1

My view of everyone on Barefoot Contessa is probably colored by my love of her show and her recipes, but I don't get a snooty vibe from any of them. I went to a book signing of her last cookbook. She had Frank and Barbara with her to help. Everyone of them could not have been more friendly and outgoing. I actually got a little tongue-tied when she signed my book, and she went out of her way to say something that made me feel very welcome.

• Love 2

My view of everyone on Barefoot Contessa is probably colored by my love of her show and her recipes, but I don't get a snooty vibe from any of them. I went to a book signing of her last cookbook. She had Frank and Barbara with her to help. Everyone of them could not have been more friendly and outgoing. I actually got a little tongue-tied when she signed my book, and she went out of her way to say something that made me feel very welcome.

That's sweet, and I'm glad they were nice to you. I do really like Barbara and Frank seems very approachable as well. Like I said, it's just my take on them, and I really have no facts on which to base my opinion. It's just a vibe I get while watching them, and my vibe meter may not be functioning properly:-)

For some reason this morning, as I was brushing my teeth, I thought of Ina enjoying summer in the Hamptons (minus the covid-19 mess). And immediately, for some odd reason, Dwyer popped into my head. Strange morning! I recalled the dinner Ina made for them, esp the baked potatoes & topping. I wonder how Dwyer's life is faring these days. (now I wonder who will pop into my head tomorrow morning😁).

• LOL 2