Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Against the Law

• Start Topic

When I read "wrong side of the law," I had some odd flashback to the Dukes Of Hazzard, where Keith & Mouse were considered outlaws and hunted by the evil town boss (Sig) and the bumbling sheriff (Dept. of Fish & Game).  Imagine Jon Bon Jovi trying to pick up geetar and sing..."Just a good ol' boys...never meanin' no harm."

The implication was the Junior hit his quota.  But to have pain shooting all the way up into your neck?  That's serious.  Even Phil thinks that's extreme.  Seems like Tinkerbell is gone from the Wiz, Sunshine is back on the NW.  All that's left is a TB fireworks show.

I love Mouse. He's one of my favorites, while his brother is a douche. 

I find it completely irresponsible of Junior to go out in his condition. It seems like he's putting his crew at risk. If he's in that much pain, his head's not where it should be and his distraction could be deadly for the crew. 

I love Mouse. He's one of my favorites, while his brother is a douche. 

I find it completely irresponsible of Junior to go out in his condition. It seems like he's putting his crew at risk. If he's in that much pain, his head's not where it should be and his distraction could be deadly for the crew. 

I'm in the minority that's always liked Keith. He's got a short fuse, and he's a blowhard, but he's good at what he does. However, I found the bit about him telling Mouse he was going to take the boat on the next fishing trip to be inauthentic. It had the feeling of being staged for drama. 

I also agree that Junior is an idiot for being out on the boat while he's in so much pain, and that's got to be distracting and he is not focused. I don't get it -- is it an ego thing? Or a money thing -- not wanting to pay someone else to captain the boat? Whatever it is, it was a bad call. I really liked him the first season or 2 that he was on, and now I think he's kind of a jerk.

How on earth did Keith lose $142K on reds?  It was his quickest trip evah and he maxed out his quota.  If he was saying that he could have got better prices which otherwise would have neted him that amount, fine.  But, if he actually lost $ on that trip, he was a complete fool to go out in the first place.  Oh, didnt Mike say last week that the Wizard the crew each got $40K?  How did they get paid all that $ if the trip was a 6-figure loss?

I really liked seeing the devious Hillstrand mind at work.  They know what they are like and they just couldn't bring themselves to fully believe Sig was being straight with them.  What would have been in it for Sig to lie, though?  

Do the TB and NW offload at different canneries?  Why did they need to do an at-sea transfer of Sunshine?  They were each gonna be in port at the exact same time.  I don't get it.

I sure hope the whole mess with Keith threatening to run the ship again was a made-for-Disco moment.  Mouse sure screwed up, though.  Wow.

• Love 1

How on earth did Keith lose $142K on reds?  It was his quickest trip evah and he maxed out his quota.  If he was saying that he could have got better prices which otherwise would have neted him that amount, fine.  But, if he actually lost $ on that trip, he was a complete fool to go out in the first place.  Oh, didnt Mike say last week that the Wizard the crew each got $40K?  How did they get paid all that $ if the trip was a 6-figure loss?

And didn't they all make it back before the price drop they were all racing against? If the really lost $140,000, it came from repairs or something like that, not the crab or trip length. 

Oh, didnt Mike say last week that the Wizard the crew each got $40K?  How did they get paid all that $ if the trip was a 6-figure loss?

No one's ever gonna accuse these guys of being eloquent.  He must mean that he missed a $140k profit by making a late delivery, going over quota, too much dead loss, whatev.  As for pay, The most experienced crew are usually guaranteed a flat rate, plus a % of the boat's profits.  That would probably apply to very veteran crew with more than physical skills like Edgar (deckboss + engineer + hydros), Lenny Lekanoff (wasn't he going to retire once?), people like that.  The Hillstrand brothers are equal owners, so they profit as both captain and co-owner.

I'm not sure what Neal does on the TB, maybe engineer, or maybe he just keeps the on-board sauna functioning (yes...they have one).

Did I miss the episode where someone was in a car and refusing to get out or something for a cop?

I believe that was in a preview of the upcoming episode, MelinaBallerina, and it seems to be yet another fakeout by the Bravo promo monkeys, since I also saw an extended promo that showed something about papers and what Elliot's lawyer told him.

It's my reading of the regulations that both a vessel and processor are fined by ADFG for going over quota.  It seems the fee is a % of the dock value of the crab caught that is over quota.  So if a processor agrees to pay $x for y lbs. of crab, and excess is delivered, both are fined perhaps 1/3 the dock value of y lbs that are over quota.  Since the processor must process all they receive, it seems they can rightfully pay less than the agreed-upon dock value to make up for their penalty.  It seems to make going over-quota extremely economically unsustainable.  I recall Captain Eric had this problem on the Rollo one year, due to poor counting by his crew.

Likewise, processors can pay less for going under-quota.  I imagine this is contractual between the vessel and the processor.  Again, the processor has obligations to deliver to market, and will receive less if they ship less than promised.

If yo ureeally want to wade through the Crab Rationalization Plan:  http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/regs/680/default.htm