Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Alee

Drogo

Brandon reels from a loss as Ronnie realizes he’s made a grave mistake. Meanwhile, Emmett’s carefree life is upended. Best friends Papa and Jake taunt Kevin over his school crush Andrea. Detective Cruz is shaken by conflicting clues in the investigation.

I'm so compelled by the moment Ronnie found out from Detective Cruz that Ronnie killed Coogie in cold blood for NO reason.  That actor freaking knocked that moment out of the park.

Alex Hibbert is just a joy to watch!  Loved him in Moonlight and he is so good here.  His reaction to Andrea's crazy cousin was my favorite.  

Emmett is trifling, but there is some goodness there...he cares, but he doesn't seem to see a path.  He'll regret taking that $100 for sure.

I find a great deal of uncomfortable chemistry between Brandon and the chick co-operates/is the chef's girl.  This (as well as his ill-conceived "take care of it" with Luis) is going to make him lose big time.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I'm so compelled by the moment Ronnie found out from Detective Cruz that Ronnie killed Coogie in cold blood for NO reason.  That actor freaking knocked that moment out of the park.

He really did.  But can Tracie please tell him to pick up a razor along with the T-bones and wine?

Love Detective Cruz.   That other detective?  Typical.  I think being an asshole must be a prerequisite for being on a narcotics task force regardless of the city.

I was looking forward to Ronnie finding out he killed the wrong kid, and that moment did NOT disappoint. The actor just killed it in those few minutes. 

Detective Cruz seems like a good guy, I loved when he found Coogies brother to tell him he got the shoes he told him he should get. He seems to feel somewhat guilty about Coogies death, even if it wasn't really his fault at all. The other guy is an asshole, but he seems like a realistic asshole. He has some serious burn out, and has basically decided he doesn't really care about doing his job. 

Emmett might have some actual growth here becoming a semi responsible parent. Him taking that money isn't going to end well though. I can see him starting to take some jobs from the sketchy guy to support his son, and that ending very badly. I also like seeing how all of the characters from the different stories pop into each others orbits from time to time. It makes this feel like a real, lived in world. 

"We`re Jehovah's witnesses!" "So, your gonna knock on our door?" The kids are just great in this show.

• Love 1

Who is that Q guy suppose to be though?  Some kind of retired neighborhood gangster?

Yeah it looks like Brandon will inevitably be drawn into crime, since the family doesn't believe the system will deliver justice for them.  If that happens, it will be bleak like The Wire.  He knows and everyone else knows it would be a huge mistake, destroy his dreams as well as his girlfriend's life but it seems like he's headed towards that despite all of it.

Messed up when the young kid is basically egging him on to commit revenge murder.

Edited by scrb

Does Emmett have a relationship with the murder storyline?  So far, he seems to be a separate thread on the outskirts of the main storyline, but I may have missed something.

I live about 15 miles north of where these stories and characters are set, but it feels like a different world.  Nicely done so far.

Ah, the Vulture review connected some dots for me:

There’s also an elementary-school kid named Kevin (Alex Hibbert, star of the first part of Moonlight) who tries out for a school production of The Wiz mainly to impress a girl he’s sweet on. Kevin has an older sister named Keisha (Birgundi Baker), who’s in love with a materialistic stud named Emmett (Jacob Latimore), who also has another girlfriend with a baby that may or may not be his.

I had missed the relationship between Kevin and Keisha.