Type keyword(s) to search

Ser Davos Seaworth: Four Fingers Discount

FemmyV
  • Start Topic

I started this thread after re-watching Seasons 6/7 and was again stunned by Davos' hypocrisy, bless his heart. The contrast of the scene where Brienne confronts him and Mel about all their parts in Renly's death ("that's in the past!") to him turning on Mel and putting Shireen's death entirely on her was too much and took away a good chunk of my lurve for the character. If he doesn't make it through, I won't be heartbroken. And anyway, Jon can do better, as Hands go.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, FemmyV said:

I started this thread after re-watching Seasons 6/7 and was again stunned by Davos' hypocrisy, bless his heart. The contrast of the scene where Brienne confronts him and Mel about all their parts in Renly's death ("that's in the past!") to him turning on Mel and putting Shireen's death entirely on her was too much and took away a good chunk of my lurve for the character. If he doesn't make it through, I won't be heartbroken. And anyway, Jon can do better, as Hands go.

Eh, there's degrees of guilt here. Shireen was a child, beloved by Davos, and as a child would be considered by default the more innocent victim even if she hadn't been the sweetest human being we ever saw on the show. Renly was an adult who let himself be flattered by his lover into starting a war (which would have killed thousands) to gain a throne he had a lesser claim to than his brother but felt he was more entitled to just because he was more likable and popular.

As for 'putting Shireen's death entirely on' Mel, who else was he going to put it on? Stannis and his wife were dead. And I have no doubt in my mind that if Davos were present when Stannis made his decision, he would have renounced Stannis for good, and either rescued Shireen if that were possible, or confronted Stannis openly to defend her even at the cost of his life if it weren't - undoubtedly the reason why Stannis sent Davos away beforehand. 

• Love 4
On 12/27/2017 at 3:55 PM, screamin said:

As for 'putting Shireen's death entirely on' Mel, who else was he going to put it on? Stannis and his wife were dead. And I have no doubt in my mind that if Davos were present when Stannis made his decision, he would have renounced Stannis for good, and either rescued Shireen if that were possible, or confronted Stannis openly to defend her even at the cost of his life if it weren't

All that, I agree with, but I also believe that he knew in his bones something was going to go down specifically because Stannis refused to allow him to take Shireen: why else would Davos have pleaded to allow her to come with him? He sensed she was in danger, IMO. And sure, he had every right to be angry with Melisandre, but to threaten her and demand to have her killed was going over the line. Had Stannis and/or his wife lived, he wouldn't have demanded their deaths.

7 hours ago, FemmyV said:

All that, I agree with, but I also believe that he knew in his bones something was going to go down specifically because Stannis refused to allow him to take Shireen: why else would Davos have pleaded to allow her to come with him? He sensed she was in danger, IMO. And sure, he had every right to be angry with Melisandre, but to threaten her and demand to have her killed was going over the line. Had Stannis and/or his wife lived, he wouldn't have demanded their deaths.

I think he would have wanted Stannis and Selyse dead. Suspecting someone you love might do something awful and being powerless to stop it is different to actually being confronted by it. Had he confronted Stannis and been unable to deny the truth, I'm pretty sure he would have wanted him dead. And Davos may have just not wanted Shireen to go with them because she will be right next to a battle, a lot of things  could have harmed Shireen in that position. And even if Davos wouldn't have demanded Stannis and Selyse's deaths, that doesn't mean he was wrong to have wanted Melisandre's death. She burnt a little girl at the stake, wanting her dead for that isn't unreasonable. It just means he should have wanted Stannis and Selyse's as well. But because we don't know how he would have acted had he confronted Stannis and Selyse, we can't condemn him for it.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, FemmyV said:

All that, I agree with, but I also believe that he knew in his bones something was going to go down specifically because Stannis refused to allow him to take Shireen: why else would Davos have pleaded to allow her to come with him? He sensed she was in danger, IMO. 

What whateverdgaf said...marching with your wife and daughter in your caravan when you're riding to battle is a great way to get your whole family slaughtered if you lose...or to get them slain by a stray arrow even if you win. He knew Stannis was rigid and unyielding enough to think that life wouldn't be worth living for his daughter if he couldn't get the throne, but from there to believing that Stannis would go so far as to kill his own daughter to secure his victory wasn't a step Davos was able to take at the time. IMO, if the truth came out to Davos while Stannis still lived, he would have wanted Stannis to die as well.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 2
(edited)

"Or soon there won't be no more coin"

"Any more."

I gotta love that Davos has taken up Stannis' mantle of Master of Grammar. Your King would be proud Ser Davos.

Also the most legitimate character development in the entire series is clearly Davos going from an illiterate smuggler to a man who corrects the grammar of the King's Small Council. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Given his previous Baratheon connection, I wonder if Davos gave any thought to going to Storm's End to help Gendry.  Gendry's a nice guy, but he's not exactly experienced in the arts of government.

But Master of Ships at least makes sense.

Edited to add: Given his background, and success with persuading the Iron Bank, he'd probably be a better Master of Coin than Bronn

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

Given his previous Baratheon connection, I wonder if Davos gave any thought to going to Storm's End to help Gendry.  Gendry's a nice guy, but he's not exactly experienced in the arts of government.

Not only that, I think Davos genuinely likes Gendry and they share the connection of very humble beginnings. If he hadn't been offered a seat on the council, I imagine Storm's End is exactly where he'd be. Seeing as he was, I imagine he felt he had more to do for the whole six kingdoms. 

Head canon: Davos regularly sends ravens to Storm's End and has arranged for a tutor or two. After the episode council meeting he sends one saying, pay attention to your studies. You don't want to sound like Lord Prick of Many Titles when you come down to KL.

• Love 5