Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Once Bitten

Two newlyweds, Sherri Rassmusen and John Ruetten, are enjoying their new life together until one day in 1986 when Sherri calls into work sick and John returns home to find her murdered, and two years before detectives discover the killer.

A crime that's been covered many times before, and never fails to infuriate me.  This one held my attention, despite the repetition.

• Love 5

Yes, by some weird coincidence, I had just listened to this case on a true crime podcast.  The thing that I find odd  is that she had such an extreme reaction to the semi-boyfriend finding someone else.  Surely someone who could do such a thing at such non-provocation would have acted up in some way in the future.  And yet, her record was seemingly spotless after the murder.  It seems like a person who would do something like that would turn into a stalker when other relationships ended. They weren't even exclusively dating (not that that is an excuse) and she still went into a rage over his marriage.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Yes, by some weird coincidence, I had just listened to this case on a true crime podcast.  The thing that I find odd  is that she had such an extreme reaction to the semi-boyfriend finding someone else.  Surely someone who could do such a thing at such non-provocation would have acted up in some way in the future.  And yet, her record was seemingly spotless after the murder.  It seems like a person who would do something like that would turn into a stalker when other relationships ended. They weren't even exclusively dating (not that that is an excuse) and she still went into a rage over his marriage.

And, before the murder, correct?  Isn't it the norm for people who are stalkers to have some sort of obsessive personality with others?  Or anger issues?  But, I mean, DNA is pretty irrefutable....

Out of curiosity, were there any extra interesting tidbits from the podcast?

• Love 2

Out of curiosity, were there any extra interesting tidbits from the podcast?

It was the Casefile podcast--the Rasmussen episode was an earlier one, but I didn't listen to it until last week.  I don't remember any extra interesting tidbits.  However, they did play the entire lengthy interview with her after the cops carefully maneuvered her into the room.  It was a somewhat longer interview than was shown on the People Investigates show. It was interesting to match the face to the voice on the podcast.  I can see how she was able to snow people, as she could fake being frank and friendly.  I'm just glad that the victim's father lived long enough to see her go down, but it must have been a bitter pill, as he repeatedly asked them to investigate her and they just blew him off. On the other hand, if she had been arrested then, she'd probably be coming up for parole around now, but at this point she is facing the rest of her life in prison.

Isn't it the norm for people who are stalkers to have some sort of obsessive personality with others?  Or anger issues?  But, I mean, DNA is pretty irrefutable....

I can't help but believe that she must have behaved oddly on some occasion or another, but it just didn't come out.  I mean, she didn't just shoot the victim, she actually bit her in the struggle.  That seems to be evidence of some type of frenzy on her part.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 4

While watching this it seemed every picture they showed she had the "crazy eyes" look.  Even in the picture with her kid.  

I am confused...so she just stopped pursuing the guy after the murder and went on with a "normal" life by getting married to someone else and having a kid?  You would think she would still be stalking him to some extent unless he moved out of town or something.  Or like someone else mentioned having a bit of a control/anger issue post murder.  I guess it could be excused with the high pressure job of being a detective.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, PJ123 said:

While watching this it seemed every picture they showed she had the "crazy eyes" look.  Even in the picture with her kid.  

Yes. She looks like a complete nutjob to me. I remember seeing a program about this case years ago - it was my first introduction to the various people involved - first time they showed Stephanie - whoa.  yikes.  Crazy eyes. ?

• Love 3

I don't know what it is about this case, but it's one of those I can watch/hear about/read about over and over.  The very first article I read about it (which I think was from the LA Times) was so well-written and compelling that it's kept me interested ever since.  

And as @PJ123 said, she totally had the crazy eyes happening.  Yikes.

• Love 4