Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Future of Beauty

I was really hoping that Andrew would win because I've liked a lot of his looks and he has been so professional and drama free. But I was fine with Sandy winning just because you know that despite the very recent truce, this made Corey's head explode.

What I hated about the finale is that Sir John specifically told Corey what to change (and he gave him several very specific instructions: lose the V on the lips, change the white eyebrows, add more highlights, etc) and then he went to Andrew and said, "I'm not going to tell you what to change." Seriously?

Corey can suck it. When he got Sir John's corrections, he blamed it all on his makeup artist Lisa. Dude, YOU are in charge of directing the entire look. If the makeup looks this way, it's because YOU told her to do this and YOU didn't give her any corrections. Standing over her shoulder while she tries to finish the model's makeup is not helping anyone.

Why does he love that Cousin It look so much? This is at least the second time that he's given the SAME model such long blunt bangs that her eyes are almost completely hidden. Wow, he is TERRIBLE at speaking. We already knew that from the rest of the season, but good lord. The best thing about his collection was the wardrobe, which isn't a huge compliment to him since all he did was choose the metallic outfits on the racks. I hated the hair on all three of them.

Although I didn't love Sandy's looks, I get why he won. He had an actual concept and three cohesive looks, and he gave the judges a show. It was very editorial, which is not surprising because he has made some bold choices in the past. I'd love to hear where they got that silver color because it didn't look like something from Huda Beauty. My guess is that it was Kryolan because they have some really amazing metallic colors.

Man, Andrew really didn't stretch very much to come up with the three names for his models: metallica, pastelia, and gothica? I liked that all three of his looks were very distinct and that they all had different hair and makeup. I liked them separately but I think the biggest issue was that they weren't necessarily a collection of three futuristic looks that went together.

I am not going to miss Adriana's flat robotic voice. I really wish the hair people would stop giving her that super flat slicked down hair.

• Love 4

There was no way they could have given Cory the win., what with his shitty attitude all along.  I don't think that judge Russell James would have voted for him, given their various clashes.    Even though Cory "made peace" with Sandy that wasn't enough of a redemption arc for him.  I saw Adriana Lima hugging him after he lost but I didn't see him in the crowd afterwards.  Poor sore loser baby must have gone to cry in the bathroom again.  I just wish Sandy would have shown a little more enthusiasm when he was announced the winner but that's counter his personality I guess.

• Love 3

No way Sandy wasn't winning this. Andrew and Corey were perfectly competent but didn't stretch themselves much. Sandy did something memorable and unusual. The whole show was a clusterfuck, though. Disorganized and unfocused. If you're going to have a show about hairstylists, then have hair stylist. Ditto makeup artists. Then the whole "style the photo shoot" mess. And then it was the luck of the draw with the team mates, and the models. Then the judging! What were the judges judging, exactly? I fast forwarded through most of it. 

The Future of Fashion is so hackneyed. There's no way anyone can do anything but metallic/robot/spacehip. Can you imagine if someone said--"I think we're going to return to the sleek look of the 30's" and sent out models who looked like Garbo? He'd have been sent home with the quickness. 

• Love 5

Oh I will not miss Adriana's voice! It's so painful to hear her speak, as if every word is a struggle. Gorgeous woman though.

I too thought that wasn't right for Sir John to not give Andrew any specifics when he did so for Corey and Sandy, though Corey got the most. I was hoping for an Andrew win since I liked his looks the most throughout the show, but he did kinda drop the ball at the end. 

A few weeks ago there was a crawler on the screen that said they were looking for contestants for season 2...hopefully someone figures out how to do it better! Either hair or make-up but not both together. There was some not so great hair that was saved by great make-up from the assistant a few times. I also didn't like that the assistants were not contestants themselves. What did they get out of it all? Maybe have a rotating pairing of the hair and make-up people all season, like the pop-up salon did? Way too many issues with this show as it stands.

• Love 3

If this show comes back, I hope they do it without Adriana (who has the personality of cardboard), a better mentor than Sir John (he's Beyonce's makeup artist, did she name her kid after him?), & I think how they should handle the challenges is either have it as hair or makeup, & have the models come out with either their hair or their makeup already done, & the contestant has to do either the hair or makeup to go with what they already have.

• Love 3

@Gat 

I agree that the premise has potential and I would love to see a show like this, but this season has been so disjointed and confusing. It’s impossible to follow and pick a fave. In the beginning I honestly had no idea if they were chosing a makeup artist or a hair stylist for the win.

If I were to compare and contrast it to PR; the designers would have a vision but instead of constructing the garment themselves, they are paired with a seamstress who can or can not execute their vision. How fair is that? 

IMHO, they need artists that can do it all; hair, makeup, and stylist (mine does) and I love mine. I’m sure there are many talented artists who can do at least hair and makeup around the US. If time is a constraint, then at least let them bring their own team and judge the team.

• Love 2