Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: eXodus

Bort

On 10/16/2017 at 9:34 PM, KaleyFirefly said:

So if Reed had not encountered the cutest little mutant girl on the planet, he totally would have betrayed them.

I spent most of the episode disbelieving that Reed was going along with the betrayal plan. I thought he was going to trick Sentinel Services. In one of the first interrogation scenes, it was established that Reed was law-enforcement savvy. I thought he recognised that he holds all the cards, so this story of him being desperate enough to betray everyone until he saw a cute kid didn't work for me.

Kate's actions, by contrast, made more sense to me.  Although they've been through a lot, it has only been a short time, and even though she's married to Reed, her understanding of the political and legal climates is still secondhand.  After all, it is true that sometimes bringing that One Case to the attention of people in power can make a big difference.  And Kate has been so embedded in her society that she's been blind to how casually and deeply xenophobic it is. Over these first 3 eps she's been trying to come to grips with the true nature of the world, and now she's earned her "and scene" Power Pose.

I like that the show is trying to examine all these moral dilemmas: Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but I appreciate the honest effort.  For example, Dreamer's story this episode reminded me a lot of the premise of Dark Matter, where one of the characters wiped everyone's memories because she thought they were dangerous. Unlike Gifted, Dark Matter pretty much glossed over the moral (and, honestly, psychological) implications of such an action.  Here the writers did a good job showing why Dreamer ultimately did what she did, how she's kind of morally sketchy but not all-out selfish and devoid of empathy, and how others hold her accountable.

Andy Strucker's got to go, though.  Every episode:

ANDY: *angry*

LAUREN: ANDY!

ANDY: *breaks something*

Enough. Strike one Reed scene for one scene of Kate (or anyone!) talking to Andy and trying to help him emotionally and morally.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2
On October 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM, immortalfrieza said:

However, Johnny heavily implies there's far worse consequences to the use of her power than false memories simply altering the person's personality or the trauma they might experience from realizing their head was screwed with.

Actually, I thought those were exactly the consequences Johnny was alluding to. We shall see, I guess

• Love 1

For me a big red flag with Dreamer was that she was wanting to mess with Blink's head prior to when she actually did it. It wasn't just something that occurred to her in the heat of the moment, some split-second decision that was a mistake. She had wanted to do it because it was simply the fastest and most convenient way of getting what they wanted.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DEM said:

I spent most of the episode disbelieving that Reed was going along with the betrayal plan. I thought he was going to trick Sentinel Services. In one of the first interrogation scenes, it was established that Reed was law-enforcement savvy. I thought he recognised that he holds all the cards, so this story of him being desperate enough to betray everyone until he saw a cute kid didn't work for me.

Holding all the cards in the legal system when you are guilty means giving up your accomplices/conspirators so you get off for your crimes. As a prosecutor, Reed knows this so I was never surprised that he was going to give up the mutant network to save himself and his family.  Besides, he has spent his most of his career locking up mutants and he never gave it a second thought about their fates so I don't why so many people are surprised that he was willing to betray the mutant network. I bet in that safe house and van, it was the first time that he spent any time with scared mutants where he wasn't trying to manipulate them. In that moment, he had to face himself, his past actions, and found some empathy while finally understanding that this was the situation that his family is in now which is why he didn't go through with the plan.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Holding all the cards in the legal system when you are guilty means giving up your accomplices/conspirators so you get off for your crimes.

He actually believed Sentinel Services was going to let him and his family go completely free, forever untroubled?  Hahaha. He's a funny guy.

Edited by DEM
36 minutes ago, DEM said:

He actually believed Sentinel Services was going to let him and his family go completely free, forever untroubled?  Hahaha. He's a funny guy.

Reed is a prosecutor who is works within system. He would have drawn up similar legal agreements with defendants in the past. He was attempting to get Lorna to agree to one.  Reed did have a lawyer draw up it up and would have had it signed off by a judge. We don't know the terms of the agreement, but it would have surely dropped any charges for his and his family's contact with the mutant network and any related crimes in return for his full cooperation and immunity for all of them. Since from his perspective, mutants are being persecuted for committing crimes that perceived as being harmful or destructive like that teenage girl in the bowling alley so Reed thinks as long as his kids don't commit these crimes, they will be safe in the future. Of course, he is only vaguely aware or genuinely does not know that mutants are in far more danger from the authorities and their private contractors. It doesn't seem like Reed and Caitlin or most people are aware of the experimentation, etc. that the mutants are being subjected to.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

Not the bed episode. I love this show but the family are starting to annoy me. The boy is nuts, the daughter is alright but I feel like she's always pouting or posing and the mom acted like a tool this season.

I Had a feeling they were going there with Blink/Johnny I just hadn't factored in the other girl who's name I've forgotten. Not really getting much chemistry between any of them though. Doesn't really feel like Johnnys a real character though - he just seems very one dimensional - all knowing and perfect.

I do quite like the show. This just wasn't my favourite episode.

At least Caitlin's brother was somewhat redeemed by episode's end.  Liked the cousin as well.  Caitlin's been so bad ass and they regressed her a bit here.  Why?

Can't wait to see how the Dreamer/Clarice/Johnny thing blows up.  

Part of me was hoping Reed would betray the underground, but I knew it wouldn't happen.  It's the only thing to make me care about his storyline.

Roderick Campbell, now that's a name/reference I almost didn't catch.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, Yo!
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, DEM said:

Andy Strucker's got to go, though.  Every episode:

It is annoying but he is still just a kid, after all.  One who has had his entire worldview and his perception of himself turned upside down. And he was already in a bad headspace before all this happened because he was being bullied at school.  So while we may all want him to snap out of it and act like a stable, clear-thinking adult, he probably deserves at least a little time to adjust and to learn to channel his anger better.  Even Marco admitted that when his powers first manifested he did things he wasn't proud of.  I'd bet that many of the mutants in the Underground have similar stories to tell but they've made their adjustments and moved on.  Andy is at the very beginning of that process. 

Dreamer's powers are problematic.  It sounds like her questionable decisions to use those powers in the past have had negative consequences.  I imagine that THAT has more to do with why Johnny decided a romantic relationship between them would be a bad idea, especially if he (or both) functions in a leadership capacity for the Underground.

• Love 2