Type keyword(s) to search

The Mountain Between Us (2017)

Empress1
  • Start Topic

Some friends and I saw this last night for Idris Elba, who is my "if I get a shot, I'm taking it" guy. This was much worse than I thought it was going to be, to be honest. I thought it was a survival story, not a love story. I also wondered how Alex emerged from the ordeal with no physical permanent damage but Ben didn't, given that they had the same amount of exposure, both had leg injuries, and Alex nearly drowned in freezing water and was unconscious twice. Also when they sat on that log and it kind of sank, I knew they were sitting on a frozen body of water.

My whole theater gasped when Ben got his foot caught in the trap. That was the only genuine shock of the movie. I knew Ben's wife was dead, although I thought it was suicide given the way she spoke on the tape ("I'm sorry that I'm leaving," etc."

During the sex scene, I thought two things: one, that Kate Winslet's character didn't look that into it (maybe because she was cheating on her fiance?) and two, that they would have REEKED. I also kept thinking that if I'm Ben, there's no way I'd get on a tiny plane with a stranger, although I can appreciate his commitment to his patient.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2017 at 7:44 PM, Empress1 said:

Some friends and I saw this last night for Idris Elba, who is my "if I get a shot, I'm taking it" guy. This was much worse than I thought it was going to be, to be honest. I thought it was a survival story, not a love story. I also wondered how Alex emerged from the ordeal with no physical permanent damage but Ben didn't, given that they had the same amount of exposure, both had leg injuries, and Alex nearly drowned in freezing water and was unconscious twice. Also when they sat on that log and it kind of sank, I knew they were sitting on a frozen body of water.

My whole theater gasped when Ben got his foot caught in the trap. That was the only genuine shock of the movie. I knew Ben's wife was dead, although I thought it was suicide given the way she spoke on the tape ("I'm sorry that I'm leaving," etc."

During the sex scene, I thought two things: one, that Kate Winslet's character didn't look that into it (maybe because she was cheating on her fiance?) and two, that they would have REEKED. I also kept thinking that if I'm Ben, there's no way I'd get on a tiny plane with a stranger, although I can appreciate his commitment to his patient.

In response to the comments I put in bold:

• I suppose we don't know how long Ben sat out in the cold before someone came back to rescue him. Thus, the frostbite and the end of his surgery career.
  • During the sex scene, I thought one thing: Idris Elba is sexy as hell. But, yeah, Alex did seem distracted. Moaning in pleasure, but distracted. And yes, it was probably because of the fiancée. I never even thought about their BO, but their skin would definitely be frost-bitten and ashy (extremely dry). 

I did like the movie, but that had more to do with the mountain scenery and the talent of the lead actors than the story itself. 

I was in suspense because I never knew if Ben, Alex, or Dog would die. Though if one of the characters had to bite it, it probably would have been Idris. Then there could have been an iconic scene with Kate Winslet saying, "Bennnnn! Bennnnnn! I'll never stop loving you, Ben!"

But what almost ruined the entire movie for me was the very last scene. It was cheesy, corny, and dumb. Reminds me of bad fan fiction. I'm surprised the actors were able to keep a straight face during the filming of it.

Edited by topanga
6 minutes ago, topanga said:

In response to the comments I put in bold:

• I suppose we don't know how long Ben sat out in the cold before someone came back to rescue him. Thus, the frostbite and the end of his surgery career.
  • During the sex scene, I thought one thing: Idris Elba is sexy as hell. But, yeah, Alex did seem distracted. Moaning in pleasure, but distracted. And yes, it was probably because of the fiancée. I never even thought about their BO, but their skin would definitely be frost-bitten and ashy (extremely dry). 

I did like the movie, but that had more to do with the mountain scenery and the talent of the lead actors than the story itself. 

I was in suspense because I never knew if Ben, Alex, or Dog would die. Though if one of the characters had to bite it, it probably would have been Idris. Then there could have been an iconic scene with Kate Winslet saying, "Bennnnn! Bennnnnn! I'll never stop loving you, Ben!"

But what almost ruined the entire movie for me was the very last scene. It was cheesy, corny, and dumb. Reminds me of bad fan fiction. I'm surprised the actors were able to keep a straight face during the filming of it.

I know what ashy means! Shea butter for life.

There was a little moment in the last scene that I liked: when Ben asked how the wedding was. He put just the right spin on it: asking out of politeness but not really wanting to know. But yeah, the turning and running back thing was corny AF.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Watermelon said:

I haven't seen the movie, but the ad on twitter is essentially "Don't worry, the dog lives", which I find hilarious 

My theater, myself included, laughed when Alex was like "He was probably gonna eat you anyway" to the dog.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I know what ashy means! Shea butter for life.

There was a little moment in the last scene that I liked: when Ben asked how the wedding was. He put just the right spin on it: asking out of politeness but not really wanting to know. But yeah, the turning and running back thing was corny AF.

LOL. Fight the ash!

Yes, I did like that scene at the table when they were awkward and unsure around one another. 

1 hour ago, Watermelon said:

I haven't seen the movie, but the ad on twitter is essentially "Don't worry, the dog lives", which I find hilarious 

I actually googled this to find out, ha!

I wanted to see this because I like Idris and Kate but am disappointed to hear it's more a love story than survival story?  I love survival stories and though they're both gorgeous I'm not really interested in a love story.  The scenery looks great so I still may see it in the theater.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 9:48 PM, raven said:

I actually googled this to find out, ha!

I wanted to see this because I like Idris and Kate but am disappointed to hear it's more a love story than survival story?  I love survival stories and though they're both gorgeous I'm not really interested in a love story.  The scenery looks great so I still may see it in the theater.

I really liked it. Full disclosure: the first half is a survival movie, but Idris and Kate have great chemistry. He second half veers more into the romantic arena.

But it's worth seeing in the theater because of the amazing cinematography. The performances are good, too.

Saw it last night, and I thought it was okay. Mainly, I wanted to see it in the theater so that I could appreciate Idris's sexiness on the big screen. I really liked the survival story half, but didn't really enjoy the love story aspect. And during the love scene my focus was on the fact that Kate's armpits looked freshly-shaven . . . hadn't they been on the mountain for weeks at that point?

• Love 1

We watched this last night ON DEMAND. It was just ok. I did think Kate Winslet and Ibris Elba did the best they could with the material. Both performances were solid. I must admit I wanted to hug Ben when he was crying in the shower after their rescue. Not just because Ibris is so hot ?, but because I really felt for the character.

The survival part of the story was descent, but I did wonder why they didn’t run into more dangerous wildlife while roaming the mountains. Surely that mountain lion had parents and/or potential mates wandering around out there. Also, I’d think there would’ve been other dangerous animals about too ie moose, wolves, foxes. etc. Also, I always cringe when seeing characters engage in sex after days/weeks without showering or brushing their teeth. I just can’t get past what is likely an incredible stench emitting from them both and thus should kill any amorous feelings. ? 

But I digress, like  others, I didn’t care much for the romance. I didn’t feel like they fell in love and thought their intimate encounter was them simply having a moment due to circumstance. That said, if they were going to reunite it should’ve happened in the restaurant. The running back to each other at the end was VERY cheesy. 

Edited by Enero
Because my iPad kept changing Ibris to Iris. ?

I finally saw this and it was OK.   Idris Elba was very good and Kate Winslet did a decent job, though she had less to work with.  Her character would have died if she had booked the plane without him - that was all I could think.  When the pilot was having his stroke, I was getting serious "Airplane" vibes. 

Though they're both so attractive, I didn't feel the romance.   I could buy Idris's character maybe admiring her for being kind of fearless and different than he is, and Kate's character for being grateful that he saved her - though she was the one to get help when he got his leg caught in the trap - but I didn't feel a great connection.

I also wished it just ended with them in the restaurant, talking about their lives.  The Kate character had cancelled the wedding, broken up with the boyfriend, kept trying to make contact with Idris, they finally meet and she basically says "I'm worried that what I feel was just because of what we went through, so let's go our separate ways" WTF??  Then they rush into each other's arms.

It would have been much better to just leave them happy to be together in the restaurant.

I hope Idris Elba gets more leading man work.  He was also good in The Dark Tower, though the movie itself wasn't as good as his performance.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, raven said:

she basically says "I'm worried that what I feel was just because of what we went through, so let's go our separate ways"

I think it was because they were both tentative, not knowing what the other thought.  She knows that Ben doesn't vocalize his feelings.  She was hedging her bets, in case her feelings were one-sided.

Just saw this movie on DVD last night.  I really liked it - I didn't know it would be a romance.  However the run-to-each-other at the end I agree was cheesy, wish the direction/writing had done something different.

• Love 2

I watched this last night and I agree with everyone else that watched the love scene and thought about how much they must’ve stunk! Yuck!

How on earth did the dog survive the plane crash AND a cougar attack!? I found that really hard to believe. And why didn’t they rename the dog?