Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: A Business of Favors

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

I liked this. The story was engaging and I liked the look into the group dynamics and how to break through them. 

I loved the ending, that Bull had that moment of realizing that his faithful lapdog, Marisa, wasn't not there waiting with baited breath for him. You're not first with her anymore and that's gotta hurt.

Again, they let him not always be right, which is a trend I hope will continue. I had to laugh when he told ADA Abernathy that he was arrogant though. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!

Liking the reset of this season so far!

• Love 2

So, no follow-thru on the kid who lied and lied on the witness stand, despite being repeated told the penalty for perjury?

Last season, Bull, being a brilliant psychologist, could tell what people were going to do and why even before they themselves knew. This season, he is is last one to figure out why Marisa might be late for work. (Also last season, Marisa was going to start dating her ex again.) We've already seen Bull with a girlfriend this season - so for him to expect Marisa to have no life and just be hanging out at the office late into the night - with the lights already turned off - - was not even realistic. How dense (or self-centered) is he supposed to be now? 

"A Business of Favors" , huh?  I'm sure that's a comforting thought for regular folk who get thrown into the legal system. 
If I were involved in Bull's first case and knew that the judge had asked him for a favor to help out her son, I would have pushed for an immediate mistrial. This show makes Law and Order look like Masterpiece Theater. 

There was one bit of actor-y business in the introduction scene between DA Abernathy and Bull that I just loved.  DA Abernathy starts out politely holding out his umbrella so it can shelter Bull as he exits the car and during their initial interaction.  Then Abernathy abruptly pivots and walks away, expecting Bull to just come to heel like a good dog.  The very brief look of incredulity morphing into exasperated outrage that came across Michael Weatherly's face was perfect.

Michael Weatherly always peppered his performance of Tony on NCIS with these little bits of actor-y business and it really enhanced the building of the DiNozzo character.  I haven't seen him do much of that now as Bull, but maybe that's because Bull is based on Dr. Phil, a real person, so he doesn't feel as open and free to do it?  As I posted last week, perhaps Dr. Phil is no longer so excited about his new toy so his oversight isn't as oppressive as the first season, allowing Bull to become more like a human person and less like a heroic ideal.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

So, no follow-thru on the kid who lied and lied on the witness stand, despite being repeated told the penalty for perjury?

When Logan took the blame for Sam's death and the subsequent cover-up, that was likely what kept the roommate from a prison sentence as he was pressured to perjure himself by Logan and the other members of the fraternity. I do agree that the roommate should have gotten a little more than just the community service for also lying under oath. 

• Love 3

Interesting ending, with Bull counting on Marissa to be there, assuming she would be and then being surprised that she wasn't. I'm curious where they'll take this next. Is Bull leaning too hard on his team and not having a life of his own outside of that work? What will this shift (in dynamics with his fellow colleagues/employees) do to his ego? ;)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1