Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Divide and Conquer

On 10/9/2017 at 1:38 PM, clyo22 said:

This episode was not better than the first two. I wish I could like this show. I usually love superheroes. IRL we constantly fight to achieve equality among ourselves. Yet we create heroes that believe they are superior to us. They believe they are superior to their own people. I don't see the appeal of royalties.

I don't know if Hoof guy or Mister no mistake are heroes or villains in the Comics but I wouldn't want them to save me. They are awful people. THere are things that should be left in the past. In the 60's maybe their backstory was okay but today they seems like the oppressors the actual heroes would fight.

They should have made Blackbolt at least a progessive king, trying to give the people some freedom. The genetic council could have been the very conservative ones refusing to change their ways.

I am a "half full glass" kind of person so I'll probably still watch the show (I can't resist superpowers) at least a few more episodes.

If Blackbolt would have acknowledged that their caste system was flawed, but was the only way to maximize the minimal resources of Attilan (though completely untrue as it has been executed on this show)*, I might have some sympathy for him. But you can't just present a genetic based caste system to the audience and have the presumed heroes stay silent about it. The thing about the Royal Family is that the heroes would have fought them in the 60s too. Professor Xavier and Magneto are presented as MLK Jr. and Malcolm X of the mutant world. Xavier wants integration and Magneto has a cynical nationalist goal because of his experience in a concentration camp. This was stuff they writing in the 60s at Marvel. I think one of the big problems adapting the Inhumans to the screen is that they primarily interacted with the Fantastic Four, the Kree, and Skrulls. For all of their fears about persecution by humans, Inhumans have never had to interact with humans the same way mutants have in the comics.

I really wish this show had been fully connected to AoS and had a better showrunner. It would have been interesting to see a flashback of Blackbolt's parents in communication with Afterlife and providing Afterlife with the materials to figure out how to train Inhumans before and after terrigenesis. It might also explain how Maximus already has operatives on Earth that he used to attack Triton. 

*The caste system as it's been executed on this show makes no sense. If Blackbolt is so concerned with what's happening on Earth, it would make way more sense to send Auran down there to rescue Inhumans. She's human appearing and can heal herself. She'd be a much better spy for Attilan. She should be reporting to Karnak, who is the super strategist. Crystal, who can manipulate the elements, should be working with Maximus to help maximize Attilan's resources as should the Inhuman who can control plants. The girl who got her butterfly wings should be in the security forces. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

If Blackbolt would have acknowledged that their caste system was flawed, but was the only way to maximize the minimal resources of Attilan (though completely untrue as it has been executed on this show)*, I might have some sympathy for him. But you can't just present a genetic based caste system to the audience and have the presumed heroes stay silent about it.

No pun intended, I presume? lol

But yes, I agree with this point. I'd much rather have had young Black Bolt not wanting to be king in protest of the silly caste system, rather than just be a petulant teen the way he was portrayed. Anson Mount in all his silence has actually seemed a bit more sympathetic than his whiny brat younger self.

(Mount does well in some scenes, but sadly has mostly overexaggerated expressions that bug me. He was so much better on Hell on Wheels, at least before that show went downhill; I stopped watching it after the second season.)

I get the feeling that Black Bolt's misadventures during this series, particularly after his friendship with native Hawai'ian guy (did he get a name?) is going to be the turning point for him abolishing the caste system, though.

*The caste system as it's been executed on this show makes no sense. If Blackbolt is so concerned with what's happening on Earth, it would make way more sense to send Auran down there to rescue Inhumans. She's human appearing and can heal herself. She'd be a much better spy for Attilan. She should be reporting to Karnak, who is the super strategist. Crystal, who can manipulate the elements, should be working with Maximus to help maximize Attilan's resources as should the Inhuman who can control plants. The girl who got her butterfly wings should be in the security forces. 

But, but... Oahu is an island, so of course let's send Triton. Maybe he will have to escape by swimming away. (That's if he can make the overland trek to get to the ocean first before getting gunned down... which apparently he couldn't.)

Yep, dumb idea.

Of course, I'm still puzzled over how Gorgon is able to hide his horse legs in regular boots somehow, so...

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

No pun intended, I presume? lol

But yes, I agree with this point. I'd much rather have had young Black Bolt not wanting to be king in protest of the silly caste system, rather than just be a petulant teen the way he was portrayed. Anson Mount in all his silence has actually seemed a bit more sympathetic than his whiny brat younger self.

(Mount does well in some scenes, but sadly has mostly overexaggerated expressions that bug me. He was so much better on Hell on Wheels, at least before that show went downhill; I stopped watching it after the second season.)

I get the feeling that Black Bolt's misadventures during this series, particularly after his friendship with native Hawai'ian guy (did he get a name?) is going to be the turning point for him abolishing the caste system, though.

But, but... Oahu is an island, so of course let's send Triton. Maybe he will have to escape by swimming away. (That's if he can make the overland trek to get to the ocean first before getting gunned down... which apparently he couldn't.)

Yep, dumb idea.

Of course, I'm still puzzled over how Gorgon is able to hide his horse legs in regular boots somehow, so...

Talking about the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  connection considering in  the moon terregin  ceremony there was no cocooning shown that Blackbolt came to full attention when the Hawaiian Inhuman mentioned it. I wonder if there is a story reason or perhaps the effect just didn't live up to IMAX standards so it was cut for time? I am wondering if this indeed set after the  last season AoS finale or during that first rash of Inhuman conversions

Spoiler

at the beginning of season 3

Enjoying the show, I think each episode slowly, just a teeny, weeny bit, improves.

Every time I see Maximus, I see Dr. Evil.  The character is so corny, I think the biggest issue for the show for me.

Mordis (which I did look up) look wise was right out of Power Rangers.

The character I like the most, which means, for this series, least likely to punch in the neck is the kid Maximus is creeping on with the visions...

On Crystal's costume. It would have been cheaper to just go with it being a pretty hair tie than a weird dye job. She is a princess (how is she a princess? Did Black Bolt adopt her? She's Pippa Middleton, she shouldn't be a princess or have any official rank, as compared to Maximus who is the King's Brother and by any royal standard, the equivalent of Prince Harry (Bolton), and heir to the throne. 

Prince Max-Bolton (as opposed to King Black Bolton) got the Idiot Ball this week. Bringing Crystal in and not having any safeguards was so contrived, it was painful. 

Queen Hair was painfully entitled, and I'm still not sure why I should care what happens to her. 

Apparently, Prince Max-Bolton is still the hero, who thinks people shouldn't be sent to the mines for not being sufficiently sparkly. True, it's part selfishness, but he could hide in the palace and just live it up. He actually does want to break the caste system. I say let him rule and let the 1400 live in Wyoming, in New Atilan. 1400 people is the size of a small town, they could have plenty of food and water and live freely. 

• Love 6
On 10/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, Raja said:

Talking about the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  connection considering in  the moon terregin  ceremony there was no cocooning shown that Blackbolt came to full attention when the Hawaiian Inhuman mentioned it. I wonder if there is a story reason or perhaps the effect just didn't live up to IMAX standards so it was cut for time? I am wondering if this indeed set after the  last season AoS finale or during that first rash of Inhuman conversions

Hide contents

at the beginning of season 3

Most likely, it's just something they're ignoring because it's much cheaper to put them in those Terragen boxes and just come out superhuman than it is to actually do that cocooning effect. These superhero shows avoid doing a lot of things (like how on Legends of Tomorrow they have Firestorm spend most of the season in the ship doing nothing) that they should do and/or it's obvious would solve the plot so they don't have to spend money on the effects.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:26 AM, dungeonwriter said:

On Crystal's costume. It would have been cheaper to just go with it being a pretty hair tie than a weird dye job. She is a princess (how is she a princess? Did Black Bolt adopt her? She's Pippa Middleton, she shouldn't be a princess or have any official rank, as compared to Maximus who is the King's Brother and by any royal standard, the equivalent of Prince Harry (Bolton), and heir to the throne. 

Crystal and Medusa's mom is a first cousin of both of Black Bolt and Maximus' parents, therefore Crystal is a second cousin to the king.  See this chart: https://i.imgur.com/VgY0xfM.jpg

There were three siblings (one of each of the pairs at the top).   I assume that Amber is/was a princess in her own right, so in this world her children are considered princesses.  

Not entirely sure what Maximus meant when he said "they were my family long before they were yours", because according to comics continuity, Crystal is a member of the royal family in her own right and not just through the marriage of Medusa and Black Bolt.  Maybe he just meant that he is older than she is. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Crystal and Medusa's mom is a first cousin of both of Black Bolt and Maximus' parents, therefore Crystal is a second cousin to the king.  See this chart: https://i.imgur.com/VgY0xfM.jpg

There were three siblings (one of each of the pairs at the top).   I assume that Amber is/was a princess in her own right, so in this world her children are considered princesses.  

Not entirely sure what Maximus meant when he said "they were my family long before they were yours", because according to comics continuity, Crystal is a member of the royal family in her own right and not just through the marriage of Medusa and Black Bolt.  Maybe he just meant that he is older than she is. 

So basically with 1400 Inhumans, they are all cousins;). I wonder how  many generations it has been there is an amazing amount of racial diversity without the entire society towards an Afro-Asian beige.