Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: Feeling Tested 2017.09.19

Ohwell

I had no idea this was the season finale.

Anyhow, I know it's mean of me to be happy that both Helen and Kara got their faces broke.  But I am.

I can't believe that all Helen thought it would take was to fix dinner for Paul to get back in the house.  The church ladies tickled me with their "offerings" but I was glad that he chose not to eat any of their food.   The last thing he needs right now is to hook up with one of them.  I'd like to see him living single though because I never liked Helen, and I hope he thinks like I do--that I wouldn't want to live with someone who I knew went to bed at night longing for someone else.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if next season they got back together. 

Kara's situation is interesting, because now I'm beginning to wonder if Orlando was just with her to further his career and never had any intentions of marrying her.  I think he cared about her but maybe he thought of her as his second mama, because Kara sure treated him like he was one of her sons.  

Justin/Kara--who will be producer?  Did not care about this at all and I figured MJ would pick Kara.  Although when Justin mentioned to MJ that if he didn't get the job he'd have to take the one in LA, I was thinking, "don't you have $30 million?"  Why would you have to take the job in LA?

Justin/Mary Jane--do.not.care.

I've stuck with the show this long so I'll ride it out, but the writing is crappy.

• Love 5

I totally fast forwarded through a lot of this.  From what I can tell Mary Jane was torn between the two, accused Justin of something, then chose Kara, thought he left and then chose a sperm donor? All within a matter of days?  So, you think your man leaves you and you go out and get pregnant because you don't want to be alone? 

As much as I can't stand Niecy, I do think that the actress is pretty and I usually like her hair and clothes, and sometimes the makeup. 

For me, this year is the worst that Mary Jane has looked professionally. I don't think she had one outfit I wanted all season.  

Don't know what to think about Kara...was the ring Mary Jane's ring?  I don't care about "the choice" either, but it just made more sense to choose Kara exactly for that reason....Justin is a man and his road will be easier, he clearly had already been making contacts in the business that Kara did not have, and yes, he is wealthy and doesn't need the job. 

I could care less about Paul and Helen and if the show returns next year I can do without the Atlanta family all together. Had I known when I first started watching this show that each season Mary Jane had to ruin a relationship-whether it is with a man, her best friend, a co worker, etc.  I might have quit a long time ago. 

I like Kara, and this season I probably liked her outfits more.  This is what this show has become, I watch for hair, makeup and glimpses of nice real estate.  I think Orlando cares for Kara, but she is going to have to decide if she can live with him as is. 

One of my problems with Kara is that she really does think she can "have it all."  Move her ex-husband and kids to NY, and marry Orlando.  Like either of these men would be fine with the situation, and her pulling both their strings.  Not gonna work, and if the situation were reversed and a man thought he could move his ex-wife and kids and marry the new woman, I'd say the same thing.

Niecy has a pretty face but that's about all I can say about her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The church ladies tickled me with their "offerings" but I was glad that he chose not to eat any of their food.  

The church vultures... er...I mean ladies were my favorite part of the episode because yeah I know women who would totally do that. I too am glad Paul didn't eat any of their food. I hope he follows through on divorcing Helen; she had a lot of nerve thinking cooking him dinner would fix everything. Honey, this ain't Soul Food.

The only other thing I liked was Mary Jane, Ty and Aaliyah hanging out.

My biggest problem with MJ was magnified tonight. She gets all up in her feelings about something - Justin leaving - then makes an emotional, impulsive decision - embryo implantation - without giving herself time to calm down, process or think through the ramifications.

I've said it before this show has so potential but the scenarios and writing are disappointing and yet I'll be back next season.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, woodstock said:

My biggest problem with MJ was magnified tonight. She gets all up in her feelings about something - Justin leaving - then makes an emotional, impulsive decision - embryo implantation - without giving herself time to calm down, process or think through the ramifications.

Exactly.

• Love 2

So we don't know anything about the sperm donor for those implanted embryos?  I know Lee phoned in and said he didn't want any part of the project, but if MJ were choosing an anonymous donor, I'm sure she'd drive everyone crazy weighing the pros and cons of every detail in each donor description.

We're supposed to believe that the minute Justin walked away, Mary Jane pointed at "Tall Successful Black Man #12" and scheduled her implantation for the same time as Orlando's retirement/Kara's triumph/their possible engagement party?

Paul!  Dig into the Tupperware, man!  You're not going to chip your tooth on a Promise Ring.

What's he doing for food--nibbling on that last package of lunchmeat he and Helen bought together?

• Love 2

I know Paul Sr is hurt and pissed at Helen but I think he should give her another chance. Not because they're older, but because I do believe she loves him. She fucked up big time, but I think they should give it another shot.

I hope Justin understands he is proposing to a very impulsive, irrational, and ever so slightly unstable person....then again he DID let her think he dumped her over not getting the promotion only to come back and propose, they deserve each other.

Kara, girl, that man loves you, just wait you gone get that ring in bed after some good loving, watch.

Not every man wants to propose in front of a audience.

Edited by Fairlily26
Grammar
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2017 at 11:48 AM, Fairlily26 said:

I know Paul Sr is hurt and pissed at Helen but I think he should give her another chance. Not because they're older, but because I do believe she loves him. She fucked up big time, but I think they should give it another shot.

I hope Justin understands he is proposing to a very impulsive, irrational, and ever so slightly unstable person....then again he DID let her think he dumped her over not getting the promotion only to come back and propose, they deserve each other.

Kara, girl, that man loves you, just wait you gone get that ring in bed after some good loving, watch.

Not every man wants to propose in front of a audience.

I see your points regarding Paul Sr. and Helen.  I actually thought that his refusal to eat the church ladies' food, then he ate Helen's food, that that was a sign that he had forgiven her.  Then I was surprised when he handed her the divorce papers.  It's a tough situation because, on the one hand I'd say she should get another chance, but on the other hand she seemed to handle the whole matter so coldly that I hope they're done.  For me, a lot of it has to do with Margaret Avery, who I don't think is a very good actress and for that reason I just don't like the character.  I'm sure there are some unemployed/under employed older African American actresses who would have done a much better job in the role.  For example, I'm pretty sure I would have rooted for Loretta Divine to get back with Paul Sr. LOL 

Also, I agree that not every man wants to propose in front of an audience, and Orlando might well propose at a later date.  However, I still think that Kara needs to stop trying to be his second mama--he's a grown ass man who has looked out for himself and had a successful career.  Stop telling him what he should or shouldn't eat!  Another thing that annoys me about her is that last season (?) when she dated that Latino guy she seemed kind of embarrassed, like she didn't want to highlight her heritage.   Now, with Orlando, it's "papi papi papi" all the damn time, with a side of huevos.

Justin and Mary Jane do deserve each other, but I hope they don't bring children into the world.

• Love 4

I don't think they really did a good job of explaining Kara.  I remember ( or think I do?) some episode where she basically admitted to Mary Jane that she purposefully dated and married a white man because although I don't think she said she was ashamed of her heritage, she had some complicated reason about feeling like it stereotyped her or something similar.  I am grasping for specifics, but I wonder if being away from her sons (and there was some other type of interaction with her family in an episode) or that brief relationship she had with the really nice mature  Latino man helped her realize how wrong she was?  I don't even remember what happened with that.  I do agree it has annoyed me some how she has really come on with the rolling of the r's etc.  

I also do not think Margaret Avery is a great actress, but I feel the same way about Gabrielle.  It is like she does not know how to play "softer."  She has that one hard tone to her voice and face and in scenes that require her to be softer or vulnerable they come across as desperate and infantile.  I can't really explain it. ....I have never liked Helen nor felt that they needed to focus so much on Mary Jane's family in general.  I, for one, was glad when they moved away from Atlanta.  I was hoping it was going to lead to showing Mary Jane maturing and not counting on blaming her "savior" role for her family on all her issues.  Although they cut back on that some, I just think it bogged the show down a little.  

I also don't think they needed to make the new conservative girl at work such a cartoon character to show how people with different views have to work together.  

Has the show already been renewed?    I must have missed a couple of episodes because I cannot remember what she argued with Lee about that lead to her sleeping with Justin, or did she just sleep with him while things were going well with Lee? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I see your points regarding Paul Sr. and Helen.  I actually thought that his refusal to eat the church ladies' food, then he ate Helen's food, that that was a sign that he had forgiven her.  Then I was surprised when he handed her the divorce papers.  It's a tough situation because, on the one hand I'd say she should get another chance, but on the other hand she seemed to handle the whole matter so coldly that I hope they're done.  For me, a lot of it has to do with Margaret Avery, who I don't think is a very good actress and for that reason I just don't like the character.  I'm sure there are some unemployed/under employed older African American actresses who would have done a much better job in the role.  For example, I'm pretty sure I would have rooted for Loretta Divine to get back with Paul Sr. LOL 

Also, I agree that not every man wants to propose in front of an audience, and Orlando might well propose at a later date.  However, I still think that Kara needs to stop trying to be his second mama--he's a grown ass man who has looked out for himself and had a successful career.  Stop telling him what he should or shouldn't eat!  Another thing that annoys me about her is that last season (?) when she dated that Latino guy she seemed kind of embarrassed, like she didn't want to highlight her heritage.   Now, with Orlando, it's "papi papi papi" all the damn time, with a side of huevos.

Justin and Mary Jane do deserve each other, but I hope they don't bring children into the world.

Angela Bassett, (my play aunt in my head) would kill it lol.

But no really that would have been better use of her in the series, instead of some weird extortionist, she should have been an ex of Paul Sr. and Helen could fight for her man, not physically of course.

Margaret will always be "Shug 'You sho is ugly' to everyone. Maybe that's the extent to her range, because I have loved and hated Loretta Divine depending on what role she was in. Loved her in "Waiting to Exhale" and hated her in "Jumping the Broom".

10 hours ago, Fairlily26 said:

Angela Bassett, (my play aunt in my head) would kill it lol.

She would, but just going by age, she's 59 to Loretta Devine (I had misspelled her name) is 68, so I was thinking about someone closer to Richard Roundtree's age (75).   Either one would be head and shoulders above Margaret Avery though.  There are also some other actresses whose names escape me right now. 

10 hours ago, Fairlily26 said:

hated her in "Jumping the Broom".

Yeah Loretta was a stone cold bitch but she did kinda come around in the end though, lol.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

She would, but just going by age, she's 59 to Loretta Devine (I had misspelled her name) is 68, so I was thinking about someone closer to Richard Roundtree's age (75).   Either one would be head and shoulders above Margaret Avery though.  There are also some other actresses whose names escape me right now. 

Yeah Loretta was a stone cold bitch but she did kinda come around in the end though, lol.

Pam Grier maybe?

And yes she got better, but my goodness to she show her whole ass before that.

• Love 1

I can't believe that all Helen thought it would take was to fix dinner for Paul to get back in the house.  The church ladies tickled me with their "offerings" but I was glad that he chose not to eat any of their food.   The last thing he needs right now is to hook up with one of them.  I'd like to see him living single though because I never liked Helen, and I hope he thinks like I do--that I wouldn't want to live with someone who I knew went to bed at night longing for someone else.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if next season they got back together. 

I finally caught up on the last three episodes, and yeah, she was on some bullshit for this. I'm glad that Paul is following through with the divorce (for now). She's 40+ years too late. Now that Helen's realizing that she had a good setup, she's going to lose it, and it's her own fault. Every one has a limit. Paul reached his. I'm not saying that she's a terrible person, but you can't constantly  under appreciate your partner and expect them to keep coming around.

I don't understand why MJ didn't tell Garrett that her voting would be a conflict of interest and she wouldn't feel comfortable choosing. But that would make sense.

I'll try to hold on next season, but I was three weeks behind and didn't care. I just caught up because I was in a lazy Saturday mood.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2017 at 1:17 AM, Sheenieb said:

I'll try to hold on next season, but I was three weeks behind and didn't care. I just caught up because I was in a lazy Saturday mood.

I'll keep getting updates from all of you.  I no longer have the patience to sit through an entire episode. But if you ever tell me an episode is worth watching, I'll take you up on that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

For me, there's not much else on in that time slot that I want to watch, so that's the only reason I watch this show.  

If it's renewed, I really hope there's only one more season though.  They need to wrap this shit up.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I had a feeling this show would not be around much longer since the actor playing Orlando, Nicholas Gonzalez, is a series regular on ABC’s new show The Good Doctor.

I’m guessing there will be a time jump in the wrap up movie.