Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18 Visual Aids: Nev And Max Aren't The Only Things That Are Tired In The Catfish Visual Aids

I moved to Salt Lake in April to look after my mother. I've doubled down on my podcast listening, because the only person I know here has dementia. It's been surreal to hear Sarah D. Bunting say, in so many words, "Don't live in Utah" twice since I've been here (three times if you count re-listening to the Big Love canon submission). I was going to say, "I've had just about enough of your S.L.U.T. shaming, young lady," but no, carry on with the S.L.U.T. shaming, I'm literally here for it.

But people do have lot of misconceptions about what Salt Lake is actually like. I mean, the city currently has an openly lesbian mayor (when will yours?). And there does seem to be a lot of social pressure for non-Mormons to code themselves visibly, so we can spot each other; it's a lot like the pressure I used to feel to code myself as gay. Obviously this chick has gone several standard deviations too far, especially since all it really takes is a Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know tee shirt.

• Love 1

Oh, I think you have her pegged exactly. If she moved to Brooklyn, she wouldn't get to be as much of a freak, and being a freak is clearly very important to her. Living in Utah is a lot like living in the '90s again, except not in a Portland way. (And I don't want to be on record as Utah's apologist. . . I wasn't exactly thrilled with my life taking this turn!)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Stowaway said:

I moved to Salt Lake in April to look after my mother. I've doubled down on my podcast listening, because the only person I know here has dementia. It's been surreal to hear Sarah D. Bunting say, in so many words, "Don't live in Utah" twice since I've been here (three times if you count re-listening to the Big Love canon submission). I was going to say, "I've had just about enough of your S.L.U.T. shaming, young lady," but no, carry on with the S.L.U.T. shaming, I'm literally here for it.

But people do have lot of misconceptions about what Salt Lake is actually like. I mean, the city currently has an openly lesbian mayor (when will yours?). And there does seem to be a lot of social pressure for non-Mormons to code themselves visibly, so we can spot each other; it's a lot like the pressure I used to feel to code myself as gay. Obviously this chick has gone several standard deviations too far, especially since all it really takes is a Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know tee shirt.

I've been to SLC, and thought it was hilarious how you'd be in the Temple area, where all the young women working as guides were in ankle length skirts and long sleeves despite scorching hot weather, then go across the street to the shopping mall, where the young people looked like young people anywhere else in the world, in shorts and minis. Outside that single block of LDS buildings, it was Anycity, USA.

No way Nicole is gonna move out of SLC. In any other bigger city, she wouldn't be the big tattooed/pierced fish in the conservative pond. I think she probably enjoys being stared at way too much to leave. Although with those brows and face tattoos, she'd be stared at pretty much anywhere she goes.

I didn't get the goth vibe from her, though. Definitely more early-2000s emo.