Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: If You Can't Do It With Feeling

Sutton is flustered when someone at Scarlet has the wrong impression of her professional background. Jane is determined to prove she can have a friends with benefits relationship without feelings getting in the way. And Kat and Adena continue growing closer.

Promo:

(edited)

I absolutely love Sutton. Usually the drama would be that girl finds out her boyfriend spilled the beans and would throw a big fit and break up with him. Instead, she told Richard that it was her fault (after he told her the truth immediately instead of lie about it), and owned up to her mistake. How refreshing to see a normal, non-drama couple be depicted as being happy and supportive of eachother. 

I thought Jane and her guy (forgot his name) were super hot, but this is going down the friends with benefits becomes one person wanting more while the other freaks out. 

Kat's life was drama filled as usual. She's lucky the guy didn't press charges. I am lukewarm about her and Adena because Kat will probably get her heart broken. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

I'm glad they showed somebody else in the closet, I was beginning to wonder if anybody else ever went in there.

Nobody calls each other anymore do they? Everything is done by text. I feel so old.

• Love 1

It wasn't appropriate for Sutton's boyfriend to talk to Oliver, the fashion editor, IMO. He's on the business side; what would he know about her qualifications as a fashion assistant from an informational interview? I wish Sutton had said something to him about not getting involved with her professional life. But I liked Sutton taking responsibility for her lie, too. What I didn't like was the idea that somehow Penn State is some rinky-dink unheard-of school. That's at least the second time it's been sort of denigrated. I agree it's not known for fashion, but given that Sutton wants to be a stylist, does it really matter she doesn't have a degree from FIT? Style is subjective, and innate to some degree, and if hers fits with the Scarlet DNA, then getting the job should be based on that. 

Jane's relationship with Pinstripe (heh) is so going to go off the rails. At least Sutton and Kat are trying to tell her she's dreaming if she thinks it's just FWB. And so much for Kat saying she's definitely hetero.

I worked with the writer of this episode, Wendy Straker Hauser, a long time ago at a nonfashion magazine, so it was fun to see her name on this.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if Kat was supposed to be Black before Aisha Dee was cast? I find it very hard to believe a young, Black feminist in 2017 being so naive about the dangers of minorities interacting with police, or straddling the lines between what is legal and what is right. I know she's supposed to be the most privileged of the MC trio, but regardless her socioeconomic background, some things she should be way more aware of than she is. 

Dat kiss, doe. 

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Does anyone know if Kat was supposed to be Black before Aisha Dee was cast? I find it very hard to believe a young, Black feminist in 2017 being so naive about the dangers of minorities interacting with police, or straddling the lines between what is legal and what is right. I know she's supposed to be the most privileged of the MC trio, but regardless her socioeconomic background, some things she should be way more aware of than she is. 

Dat kiss, doe. 

That has to be the explanation, because Kat obliviousness took me out of the show.  I can't imagine anyone being so bulldoggedly unaware of the precarious situation Adena was in, much less another minority.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 4

I was coming here to say something similar. I like the show a lot, enjoy all 3 girls and like the entire tone of the show and what they are going for. In many ways, they've surprised and impressed me with the characterizations, but with Kat, they've stumbled in this episode. The bold, brave Kat is very believable. But, this at least half-black girl is getting righteous with a friend and girl she likes and it needs to be pointed out to her that "being in the right" doesn't always matter where the police are concerned? Seriously? Kat is written entirely too much like a white girl for them to have cast this actress and not made slight alterations. It's like they thought making her from a more privilege background is enough to account for her naivety, but it most certainly is not. If they don't have any people of color in the writing room, then they need to think of adding someone or at least bringing on a consultant. Second time this week where I watched this play out. Shows have got to do a better job with their portrayals. I'm thrilled with the more diverse castings on shows, but let's make sure they are believable.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I was coming here to say something similar. I like the show a lot, enjoy all 3 girls and like the entire tone of the show and what they are going for. In many ways, they've surprised and impressed me with the characterizations, but with Kat, they've stumbled in this episode. The bold, brave Kat is very believable. But, this at least half-black girl is getting righteous with a friend and girl she likes and it needs to be pointed out to her that "being in the right" doesn't always matter where the police are concerned? Seriously? Kat is written entirely too much like a white girl for them to have cast this actress and not made slight alterations. It's like they thought making her from a more privilege background is enough to account for her naivety, but it most certainly is not. If they don't have any people of color in the writing room, then they need to think of adding someone or at least bringing on a consultant. Second time this week where I watched this play out. Shows have got to do a better job with their portrayals. I'm thrilled with the more diverse castings on shows, but let's make sure they are believable.

Very true.  I felt the same way and also noted that the previous episode with the internet trolling was also suspiciously absent of racial context.

• Love 3

I thought the same thing. I'm white and I still immediately understood why Adena ran. I don't buy for a second that Kat wouldn't understand how dangerous an altercation with police could be for a POC, especially one who could be deported! Kat said in the pilot that she's political, plus she's on social media all day every day, yet she's somehow missed Black Lives Matter and tons of anti-Muslim sentiment? She honestly thinks that being in the right (with no proof of that, even) is a good enough defense? It's stupid that it took Kat's boss -- a white woman -- commenting on it for her to understand how bad that situation could have been for Adena.

• Love 6

Even the fact that she said they were "in the right" was strange to me. Legally, they weren't. They guy was an asshole, and he was unbelieavably rude, but Kat hit him first and it wasn't self defence.

• Love 7