Type keyword(s) to search

West Wing Elimination Game

Goodbye, Night Five.  After that, it was a four way tie between The Two Bartletts, The Black Vera Wang, and each of the Manchester episodes.  In the tie breaker round, The Two Barlets and Manchester Part 1 were eliminated. 

Vote against 3!

3. Manchester (Part 2)

4. Ways and Means

5. On the Day Before

6. War Crimes

7. Gone Quiet

8. The Indians in the Lobby

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

15.Hartsfield's Landing

16. Dead Irish Writers

17. The U.S. Poet Laureate

18. Stirred

20. Enemies Foreign and Domestic

21. The Black Vera Wang

22. We Killed Yamamoto

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester Part II

Hartsfield Landing (because it makes literally zero sense that a primary vote predicts who will win the Presidential nomination.... there should be two winners each cycle, one from each party)

War Crimes (because I hate Donna's diary subplot)

Jerez, what's with the vendetta against Manchester? I think, together, it's my favorite of the season.

Stirred: For reasons stated. 

We Killed Yamamoto: Very slow ep. I don't think there's anything *bad* about it. It's just a lot of exposition on Shareef and the welfare bill. It should have been out before Posse Comitatus.

War Crimes: Meanwhile, this is the opposite because there's good stuff here (quality Jed/Hoynes, the post church Sinatra Jed/Abbey scene, John Spencer's performance in the war crimes scene, Toby's team speech and I think the elimination of the penny was a cute crackpot story). But the Donna diary story was TERRIBLE. Donna has other issues as a character but this story went an unusually far way to completely ruin her as anyone worth rooting for for a single ep story. It was that bad.

37 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

Jerez, what's with the vendetta against Manchester? I think, together, it's my favorite of the season.

I hate Jed's attitude toward the staff.  I hate that they had CJ make a really stupid mistake that I think was out of character for her. I'm also not a big Bruno fan.  I do like his apology at the end, but it was "too little, too late" for me.

6 minutes ago, deaja said:

I hate Jed's attitude toward the staff.  I hate that they had CJ make a really stupid mistake that I think was out of character for her. I'm also not a big Bruno fan.  I do like his apology at the end, but it was "too little, too late" for me.

Aw, I love the ugliness. It's realistic that Jed would treat his staff poorly when embattled and defensive with them because he personally lied to them and endangered their integrity and futures. (Same with how he turns on Abbey out of defensiveness because he broke their agreement.) I think anyone in the world is capable of saying the wrong thing under stress. And I like Bruno. But different strokes for different folks. 

1 minute ago, Melancholy said:

Aw, I love the ugliness. It's realistic that Jed would treat his staff poorly when embattled and defensive with them because he personally lied to them and endangered their integrity and futures. (Same with how he turns on Abbey out of defensiveness because he broke their agreement.) I think anyone in the world is capable of saying the wrong thing under stress. And I like Bruno. But different strokes for different folks. 

I think for me it is because Jed is one of my very favorite characters on the show (like, he's number two or number three depending on the day) and I get very disappointed in him. To me, one of his worst qualities is his tendency to lash out at his staff over things they aren't responsible for when he gets angry.  It probably makes the character more well-rounded and human (and thus a better character), but I still don't like it.  

8 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think for me it is because Jed is one of my very favorite characters on the show (like, he's number two or number three depending on the day) and I get very disappointed in him. To me, one of his worst qualities is his tendency to lash out at his staff over things they aren't responsible for when he gets angry.  It probably makes the character more well-rounded and human (and thus a better character), but I still don't like it.  

I know. Jed is so charming that I count him among my favorites. But he has a very ugly side to him. He's repeatedly taken out his stress on his family and staff, most of all, and yelled at them when they didn't do anything wrong or disproportionately for a mistake. There's actually some of his father in him even though he's too moral to be violent. Even some of the cute comedic stories. Like Sam's "The president hates long flights and someone's usually fired by the end, and it's been me twice." Or Jed not wanting to talk to the White House chef about the turkey stuffing because Jed yelled at the Chef about some slight even though Jed conceded the chef did nothing wrong and Jed was just cranky. But then explains why he's avoiding the chef instead of apologizing or just interacting nicely, "He didn't deserve the scolding then but he will someday."

Edited by Melancholy

Today we say goodbye to War Crimes, Manchester Part II, and Hartsfield's Landing.

Continue to vote against 3!

4. Ways and Means

5. On the Day Before

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

16. Dead Irish Writers

18. Stirred

21. The Black Vera Wang

22. We Killed Yamamoto

We Killed Yamamoto

Stirred- For reasons stated 

On the Day Before: I get that in-story, the estate tax debates were supposed to be tedious and Josh's "You're too healthy" meeting with the governor was supposed to be inane. But, it was also that way for the viewer. So, that's enough overcome CJ's great story pwning the bitch reporter and a solid Mideast story for Jed and Leo. 

On the Day Before, We Killed Yatamoto, and The Black Vera Wang are gone!

Drop to voting against two.

4. Ways and Means

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

16. Dead Irish Writers

18. Stirred

Stirred

Ways and Means: Actually a pretty good ep. I like CJ's machinations. The estate tax story hadn't gotten boring yet. It was touching how Jed felt Mrs. Landingham's absence in the smallest ways she'd take care of him. The problems are the Donna/Cliff stupidity. And I think Victor Campos is overhyped and the whole amnesty for all undocumented Hispanic immigrants is weird and unrealistic. I don't believe a mainstream Democrat could promise it. Meanwhile, I think every Democrat knows that if such an impossible dream came true, it'd be a boon for the Democratic Party. So, I don't get why it's played like a breakthrough idea of Connie's. And Sam would object because blanket amnesty to all is unpalatable to anyone other than the extreme left wing. Not out of false pride about bending over too much. I also don't believe Sam would be the decision maker on this one. Such a big promise mandates the President's approval. 

Edited by Melancholy

Ways and Means and Stirred are gone. I like both episodes, but not as much as the remaining episodes!

Vote against 2!

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

16. Dead Irish Writers

The U.S. Poet Laureate and Enemies, Foreign and Domestic are gone.

Vote against 1!

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

16. Dead Irish Writers 

Dead Irish Writer: I love all of the Abbey stuff. (Actually though, I kind of hate CJ/Amy/Donna being unsupportive in a "You have a family and you're First Lady. It's silly of you to be upset at losing your medical license." And Donna was just a hypocritical bitch. But it was all interesting and realistic that these women would be interesting in continuing Jed's career despite his worse lies and regarding Abbey's career as acceptable collateral damage. But I wish Abbey pushed back a little more in how she was being mistreated, including being trapped into a flashy public party at a miserable embarrassing time for her. Even though I think she did the right thing to suspend her medical license.) The Irish terrorist debate was interesting but a little slow. The superconductor story was boring 

Edited by Melancholy

Dead Irish Writers -  a great episode (especially the conversation between Toby and the new British Ambassador, John Marbury regarding the "Irish Problem"; which is something I found quite appealing/interesting from this side of the Pond, and was yearning for more!)

But the whole "Donna born in Canada" thing, just killed the episode stone dead for me; and as for the Superconductor thing? Just another filler that went nowhere

Edited by Zola

Dead Irish Writers is dead on arrival.  Maybe Abby Bartlet could revive it, if only she still had her medical license.

Please vote against one and then rank the others in case of a tie!

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

12. 100,000 Airplanes

Voting against  100,000 Airplanes.

Ranking the others from favorite to least:

1) H. Con- 172

2) Gone Quiet

3) Indians in the Lobby

4) Bartlet for America

5) Women of Qumar

Can I vote FOT 100,000 Airplanes, which is strangely one of my favorites.

I'll vote against Gone Quiet and

1 B4A

2. 100,000 Airplanes

3. HCON 172

4. Indians in the Lobby.

5. The Women of Qumar

Vote off: 100,000 Airplanes

Ranking the rest:

1. The Indians in the Lobby (because I have been involved in the DAPL protests and I really identify with these two)

2. The Women of Qumar

3. Bartlet for America (the napkin produced a flood of tears)

4. Gone Quiet

5. H.CON - 172

So far we are almost unanimous on voting out for this round, but all over the map on the rest! Final rounds should be interesting.. :)

100,000 Airplanes is out.  

After voting for the episode you want out, please again rank your remaining choices favorite to least favorite!

7. Gone Quiet

9. The Women of Qumar

10. Bartlet For America

11. H.CON - 172

Voting against Gone Quiet. Funny ep but it feels less substantial than the other eps. The other eps moved me or showed a very personal side to a character. Gone Quiet was just a very standard ep with above average jokes. 

1. Bartlet for America

2. The Women of Qumar

3. Indians in the White House Lobby

4. HCON172